2012: Quietly turning into a fantastic year

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
The only 2012 games I've bought this year are Dishonored and Journey. And neither of them are nearly as good as people have been saying. At least in my opinion. I was finally able to buy Skyrim though, is that game still cool? Because I'm having a blast with it.

Also, what the heck is FTL? Is it Faster Than Light? Because that's the first thing that shows up on Google.

Woodsey said:
[sub]Oh, and Journey was shit! You've all been horribly, horribly duped.[/sub]
I'll agree with that. I thought it was just a preposterous trail of artsy crap that didn't really make any sense at all. It did have the best sand effects I've ever seen though.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
Also, what the heck is FTL? Is it Faster Than Light? Because that's the first thing that shows up on Google.
Yes it is. you have the correct site if the first result is ftlgame.com.
If you are a fan of sci-fi shows like Star Trek or Firefly an have ever wanted the command the crew type of sim along with ship system management it will be a great time. Personally I thought the first hour I played was worth the price, and I have sunk 8 hours in to the thing.

Also in the awesome 2012 list for me is XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Guild Wars 2
Borderlands 2
Dawnguard, yes i know its DLC
Dishonored
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Mass Effect 3
Max Payne 3

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So far, it's been the year of "AAUUUUGHGHGHGHGH WHY AM I BROKE".

XCOM, Torchlight 2, Dear Esther, Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, all of these are in my "When I Have Moar Money" queue.

The only 2012 game I can think of that I madly spent money on was FTL, which is very awesome, admittedly.

Retsam19

Dec 6, 2010
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
LobsterFeng said:
Yes it is. you have the correct site if the first result is ftlgame.com.
If you are a fan of sci-fi shows like Star Trek or Firefly an have ever wanted the command the crew type of sim along with ship system management it will be a great time. Personally I thought the first hour I played was worth the price, and I have sunk 8 hours in to the thing.
Actually, I think that's a common misconception. The games full title is "FTL: Faster Than Light". "Faster Than Light: Faster Than Light" is just a dumb title, so I prefer to think of FTL standing for "Free Time Lost: Faster Than Light".

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
I don't think I've bought a single new game this year. Uhhh...
Man. I really don't think I have.
I got Dawnguard? Does that count?
My to-buy list is currently, however:
Borderlands 2
Dishonored
and some other game I forgot about now.
...I'm an awful gamer so far this year.

HippySteve

Oct 4, 2012
Dishonored. Dishonored Dishonored Dishonored. I can't say that enough, XCOM was brilliant but Dishonored blew me away.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Well so far this year I haven't really played any 2012 releases that really blew me away (although I thoroughly enjoyed a good chunk of Mass Effect 3), except for my first week of DayZ (it got old a bit too quickly but I loved it for a while there).

However, XCOM arrived today, Dishonored is due any day now, and Mark of the Ninja just showed up on Steam. So things are looking up. And I still need to pick up The Walking Dead (will buy it when all five episodes are out), and Spec Ops: The Line.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Retsam19 said:
Actually, I think that's a common misconception. The games full title is "FTL: Faster Than Light". "Faster Than Light: Faster Than Light" is just a dumb title, so I prefer to think of FTL standing for "Free Time Lost: Faster Than Light".
Thanks for making the one thing that bugs me about that game not bother me so much anymore. The title is really a product of someone who got their certificate of certification from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
in no particular order

1. Hitman: Absolution, I know it's not out yet, but being a huge Blood Money fan, it looks like they got this one right.

2. Journey, beautiful game. Also felt extremely poignant since it was the first game I played after my cat died.

3. Mark of Ninja, a stealth game? Where you actually hide in shadows and it's better to avoid confrontation with guards and I have to use my wits? I'll buy 12!

4. Intrusion 2, which was a nice surprise that came out of nowhere.

Honestly, I think I've been more excited about indie download games and the smaller 'blockbusters' this year than any of the triple A fare.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
This year was going to be pretty crap for me too. I was expecting Guild Wars 2 to be released in 2013, and that's the only game I've ever really REALLY looked forward to.

Then they released it this year and I don't really need anything else!

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
It's been a pretty decent year so far. It's not as good as 2007, but it's at least been an average year.

Top 3 so far:
1. Borderlands 2
2. Mists of Pandaria (no, really. minus daily quests it's the best expansion opening so far)
3. Mass Effect 3

Definitely looking forward to Halo 4 too. I'm trying not to get my hopes up since it's using some of the same awful design choices as Reach used. Hopefully it's more Halo 2/3 and less Halo: Reach.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
My gaming this year has been:

Katawa Shoujo - As recommended by a friend. Great, but depressing.
Mass Effect 3 - AKA The most disappointed I have ever felt playing a game. Especially as I was such a Mass Effect fanboy.
Skyrim, Gears of War 3, TF2 and L4D2 - Killing time with games I already owned.
Borderlands 2 - Great fun, but had the same downsides as the original, in that it's designed for muliple players, but people suck.
Ico and Silent Hill 2 as I got a PS3 - Love the first, despite it's horrific controls. Liked the second, but felt that certain aspects were underwhelming. Love the atmosphere and soundtrack though.
Dishonored - Which I have mixed feelings about. It's great fun, but it's stealth mechanics leave much to be desired. The game seems to reward an aggressive approach much more.
Shadow of the Colossus - that I am currently playing. I love it so far.
Dragon Age: Origins - That I am currently re-playing. One of my favourite games ever.

So, so far this year I am mostly playing games that didn't come out this year...

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
It has turned out to be a pretty awesome year, hasn't it? Lots of pleasent surprises, everywhere. My top 3 for the year, so far:

1: Dishonored
2: Spec Ops: The Line
3: XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Of course, I have only played like 5 games released this year, so I have missed a lot of other good stuff, like Sleeping Dogs or The Walking Dead. :p

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Sadly these are my top 3

Dragon's Dogma (Even though there are a lot of things I don't like about it)

Borderlands 2 (Though its a total disappointment compared to the first game in ALMOST every way I care about)

Silent Hill Downpour (Despite it not being terribly good, it is at least not terribly bad like the last several in the series)

I'm pretty sure that those are the only games aside from Amalur I purchased this year. Currently replaying Etrian Odyssey 2 because I remember it being my favorite of the 3 and using classes I never used before.

I peeked at my original save (before I had to overwrite it QQ) And I was surprised that I made it the entire game with no medic. Since I never used a Hexer before I tried it, and hated it.

I swear that I spend at least 30 min choosing my classes in EO games before I even start playing. I wish more RPGs had too many good classes and not enough room like that.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
This could be tricky...

1. The Walking Dead
2. Borderlands 2
3. Spec Ops: The Line

Runners up;

4. Mass Effect 3 - this would have been my number 1 if it weren't for the god awful ending which killed it for me.
5. Sleeping Dogs

The only other 2 games i'm interested in that are still to come this year are the new Hitman and Far Cry.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
2012 has been a pretty good year of gaming for me. I suppose my top five games of this year would be: 1. The Walking Dead: Great story with two great and likeable main characters. 2. Dishonored: Another great game. 3. Max Payne 3: A fitting conclusion to the tale of our favorite movie style action cop. 4. Guild Wars 2: One of the best MMORPGs I have played in awhile. 5. Mess Effect 3: Yes it did have some problems like the ending but I still loved it.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Gotta agree with the OP. I thought, especially after last year, that this year would be comparatively quiet. Have been pleasantly surprised at both the quality and quantity of good new games, and am especially looking forward to the new Hitman game. This year might even edge out last year, which will be a pretty big feat.

Not going to list my top games of the year, as they'd coincide with everyone else's, but the only real disappointment has been D3, which I had pegged as my biggest release of the year. I still haven't gotten around to getting it due to the server issues, so im happy that there have been plenty of other games to fill the void.