2013 And Racism in America?

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I wouldn't say that racism is worse in the south than it is in the north and west. Its just expressed differently. I kinda prefer how it is expressed in the south if only because it is easier to avoid. It lessens the risk of becoming comfortable around someone before you find out about their bad side, it feels more like a betrayal when people are "covert" about it. It also makes people less likely to understand and correct racist beliefs because they are so sure that they can't be racist because of their geographical location.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah. I know that there are plenty of good people in the south, but the amount of shit that comes out of there makes me glad I live in MA.

Sep 24, 2008
omega 616 said:
Racism is still something that is a huge part of society. We are marching steadily away from hatred of that calibre though, things like gay people getting married etc shows that we are moving forward.

I think as long as black people still say "nigga" racism will still be there. I remember watching a youtube clips of the view and this black was getting all uppity 'cos this old white woman said "******" while reading the headline but was okay with Whoopy Goldberg saying "nigga" even though they both pronounced it the same... She even said "I know she doesn't mean anything by it but it's just something about a white woman saying it".

Then you have black comics, Dave Chappell (did I spell that wrongly? ), Kate Williams and Martin Lawrence off the top of my head all do "you know how white people are different to nigga" jokes... Only heard one guy even come close to jokes of that nature, Louis C. K who says "I'm not saying whites are better but it's clearly better to be white".

Eminem said "a lot of truths are told in jest" although I probably messed up the quote and attributed it to the wrong person.

Speaking of rappers, how often do black rappers say "nigga"?

I think if you want to get rid of racism you need to stop using words that are related to heavily racist things and stop trying to separate and try to unite.
This type of thinking is very, very interesting to me. As it's giving more power to words than actually they have. '******' didn't cause racism, it came out of racism. Lessened Racism didn't happen because we had laws that said 'Lulz, be good to one another now'. Lessened Racism happened because children were forced with other children and they came to find out that even if they were different, they were still people who could be really good friends.

Saying that a word has that much power is akin to going back to those children, pointing to the black friend and saying ******, and thinking magically the non black friend will start to see a witch or something. That's probably not going to happen. That non black friend will look at you and say 'No, that's my friend'.

This type of thinking is essentially a cop out. It's not my fault I think A, because those people who are A say that they are A. I'll ask you and I'll ask everyone... What is a ******? What does the term mean? This will be an interesting discussion if it happens, because it will bring out some well hidden biases on their part. And it wouldn't be your fault. It's how you were taught.

Finally, I'm sick and tired of people blaming the n-word with the schism between races. It's so simply ignorant, I'm ashamed that I even have to type anything about it. But I do, because a lot of people have this belief.

I'm sure we all know a woman or two in our lives. And I'm sure we've heard them talk on an occasion. The frequency that I've heard my female friends (of all races) call their friends 'bitches' is astounding. We have bumper stickers and t-shirts that proudly proclaim them to be the queen bitches. They call themselves Bitches as a term or to let you know that you don't mess with her because she is the baddest ***** you'll ever meet.

And no one says that Men and Women can't get along because women call themselves bitches and we can't. There's a Reason I asked about what ****** means. Because it has no different definition than the word *****. ****** is a derogatory word aimed at black people, with the roots coming from the spanish language for their word for black (negro). ***** is a derogatory word aimed at women, with the original meaning being 'a female hound'. Both now are pejoratives aimed at their group... But the difference splits with people's mindsets.

A woman will say she's not a *****, she's an outstanding young lady. People nod their heads and say that she's right. She holds herself well. A black person will say he or she is not a ******, he or she is well spoken, educated, and never used the word. People will look at each other curiously, and go '... Well, come on. All that's true, but still... you ARE black, you know'.

That's the problem here. It's not that blacks use pejoratives. It's that people still equate their understanding of blacks based on what that term means to them, which is essentially 'A black person at his natural state'.

Here's a Better Example of why this doesn't work. The freaking 90's. We spent Millions of dollars on campaigns and tv shows to let me know that I'm no longer black. I'm African American. A nicer term, I'll admit. I liked the sound of it. And for an entire decade, we said this was the only proper way to refer to one another.

And what happened? People said 'No, they are black'. THEY didn't want to change their thinking, even when a new term was given by the government, by the social movement of the time, and by wide eyed people who wanted to show that they were better than the terms that people gave their ancestors. No one budged. No one cared. Blacks were still the same thing in their eyes. So, if terms had that much power and given that most blacks really mainstream adopted calling each other '******' in the 90's (believe me, I'm black. and I grew up in the 80's. Calling a black person a ****** back then even if you were a black person was a problem), How come one won out over the other?

People said each term with equal frequency. Hell, if you count media, Blacks were called African American more. We say rappers spread nigga. That's so true. but then we had movies (that showed people losing their shit over that term), tv shows educating us, children's shows trying to cement african american in their young minds... To ignore the tidal wave of African American being shoved down our throats, and to look at one small segment of media and say 'Ok, we'll listen to those guys' shows a lot of bias. And ignorance. In all accounts.

The term isn't the problem. It's the acceptance of the term. It's believing at the root of the matter, the term is the only descriptor. People have been calling themselves different terms since America has began. Since Nations began. But it's the people are large, those in power, who really get to set the stage. I wore African American proud, and people in power said bullshit you're black. Womyn (remember that?) was created because women stated they should have their own word without the inclusion of 'man. The People are large said nope, you were born women, you'll stay women.

Terms are meaningless without general acceptance. It just gives voice to a mindset deep within us. You get rid of ****** today, and people will still say it in their hearts. It won't be ******, of course. Until the new word comes, they'll just be the ominous 'them'.

Angie7F said:
i cant help but wonder, if this is such a big problem, then those who are discriminated against should boycott the area and move.
We're usually talking about the poorest of the poor. Also, there's logic to staying.

What's to stop it from happening somewhere else. Every moment needs a something to look towards as a success. If those people in Alabama said "enough of this crap, we're leaving"... Not only did the racists win, but with the internet they can proudly proclaim their victory, rallying other like minded people to be horrible to those they don't like to get them to move.

Eventually, people get old. It's sad, but it's true. And their children are exposed to yours. some will hold onto the beliefs their parents taught them, some will not. You stay and you fight for those who do not. For the betterment of your children. You don't teach them to run and hope it's better somewhere else.

Deshara said:
Implying that we're civilized...
Keep in mind that this is the country where not only are people walking into schools with guns and killing people's children a thing, but it happening sparks no change.
Children not getting shot to death in elementary schools<nra's profit margin.
Not civilized.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget how this year we all found out that running a minor down in the street with a gun in hand and shooting them to death isn't murder if your victim's black and therefor a dangerous hoodlum
I'm with you on your edit, but just because we have faulty people in our ranks does not mean we aren't civilized. Every animal species have those members who are overly aggressive, those who are timid, those who just walk the path. We are animals. We will have variations. And it's that knowledge that keeps us needing protection.

Psychopaths are a thing not because we didn't structure society correctly, just that people's natural wiring does not allow for the idea of following societal norms. You can't breed that out. You can't reteach those people. Those people are lost. What do we do with them? Lock them up? What do we do with the hundreds, thousands, damn near millions we don't know of because they don't have the money or the support to get tested? Hope and pray that they don't find us?

We don't have millions of school shootings (thank all that is Sciencey and Holy) because it's not in our civilized programming to do so. I mean, that is the barrier we have. But it only work for those with the mindset to follow our civilization. Now, I could probably fight off a psychopath if I have enough warning and on a good day... But can the average person? female? disabled person? What are they to use against someone who's 6'2/183 cm and 215 lbs/97.5 kg (my measurements)?

There are predators within every species who hunt everything. Including their own species. We are doing ourselves a disservice to believe that humans should be the only creatures alive that shouldn't do that to ourselves.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Wraith said:
ObsidianJones said:
Hey, another two people missing my point.

I didn't read 90% of what either of you wrote 'cos you start off with the wrong idea of what I was saying... Plus using this site on my phone is near impossible!

What I'm saying is ****** and/or nigga is a racist word, end of. Where it came from, how it's used or what it means coming from any race is meaningless.... What we have is a word that is commonly believed to be racist when used by whites and a term of endearment by blacks, either way it separates humans.

I think the first step of many, would be to stop using it. Will the problem go away with abandonment of this word? No but it will be a step in the right direction.

I always trust people on this site to take certain things for granted, yet I am constantly let down. I expected you to give me enough credit so I didn't have to explain that "stopping using the word ****** and nigga will just be a first step and not the only thing" but here is am.... Maybe it's my fault for assuming you'd get it.... Always had problems with people understanding me.

It's not about changing its meaning, it's about removing the word from our language... You never hear people speak like William Shakespeare in everyday life, there are no thee or thy... Even whom is shunned, despite people trying to enforce it.

I find it funny how so many people are saying "the N word", if we are going to talk about it, let's talking about it like adults... Not like we are 5 years old school talking about naughty bits. Look for Louis ck video of him ranting about people saying "the N word"

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Lex Darko said:
Summary two young women of black ethnicity were unable to join any sorority on their campus of University of Alabama for the sole reason that they were black.
Racism? In the American South?

Whoa man. I cannot believe this!

Serious response: This honestly isn't surprising. People get stuck in their ways, pass beliefs onto children, etc. The American South is especially notorious for this. Racism, sexism, ageism, any other sort of -ism isn't going to die out because "it's 2013!" These are cultural aspects and a culture doesn't change in a day.

Given how rough African Americans had it in the '50s and '60s (which really wasn't all that long ago), our progress to be more inclusive is actually going at an incredible rate.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Queen Michael said:
Considering that some American high schools still have racially segregated proms, I'd say that this is possibly true and definitely plausible.
To hell with that. We've got Republicans actively trying to prevent lack people from voting in virtually every red state in the country. You should see the steps some people have to go to in order to vote in North Carolina: Arthur Dent had fewer problems when they tried to knock down his house.
The only thing with that is, it's more politically motivated than racially motivated. Black people (and poor people, who are also targeted by this stuff) tend to vote Democrat instead of Republican. Trying to disenfranchise minorities and the poor is a way of blocking a good chunk of the Democratic voting base from showing up, making things easier for the republicans. This is also what gerrymandering is all about, drawing the district lines so they favor the party in power and weaken the other party.

That said, racism is still a big problem in the US, it's just not as open as it used to be. You won't see the right wing radio hosts actually using the N-word, but they have ways of implying it without actually saying it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
omega 616 said:
My point is "******" and "nigga" are the same thing and both come from when black people were property, that is a time when humanity should be deeply embarrassed of... Instead, it is been allowed to linger by the very people it insults.
Except your original post does a terrible job at making that point and instead meanders off into the very territory I addressed. If anyone twisted your point, it was you, friend.

Regardless, blacks haven't let it linger. That's a ridiculous assertion and still belies context.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Well, racism is still fairly rife over in the UK, too. It ain't just America that's got these problems, we all do.

Still, observing from my time in the US, and I was in a northern state, racism is still very much alive and kicking. It's not as overt as I imagine it was in previous times, it exists in more subtle forms now.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I've lived in the US most of my 33 years of life and I've never experienced or seen (or anyone that I know) has ever been exposed to any form of racism, neither giving or receiving. I lived up north in Indiana for about 18-19 years, and in Florida for the rest.

I like to think that for the most part and in most places it's mostly gone. But you often hear of something racially charged occurring. A lot of it is probably restricted to small areas here and there. But on the other hand, less direct forms of racism are quite common. For example, the recent George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin deal. If Trayvon was a white kid, a hispanic hid, or just about any other race than black I promise you it wouldn't have had the national coverage or impact that it has. It got so big because a black kid was killed by a not black person. People ran around with their signs that said things like "What if Trayvon was white?" and other signs that were aimed at white people. Why? Travyon wasn't white. Zimmerman isn't white. So what the hell did that even matter? People made it all about race and it wasn't.

Then they get all up in arms about the Stand Your Ground law, which as I understand wasn't even used in this case. It just one thing after another, all motivated specifically because people believe Trayvon was racially profiled and followed because he was black.

It is going to take more time yet, and African American people have some work to do themselves about their reputation. I don't say that in a racist way, because I'm not racist, I have non-whites in my family and that isn't how I was raised. But let me ask you this, if you're walking down the sidewalk late at night would you be more nervous to walk past a group of white guys(or really ANY other ethnicity) or black guys? Black dudes have a reputation for being aggressive and are too eager to act like tough guys with the smallest provocation. So in all reality, I think it's fair to say they are as almost at much at fault for the continuing racial issues as much as true racists themselves.

A tricky issue to say the least.. But I think in time it will go away entirely. How long? Who can say..

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Of course racism is still around in America. One would have to have white privilege blinding them not to notice.

This is why statements like "check your privilege" exist.
And predictably, now that so many privileged groups in America have caught wind of the concept of privilege, it has become this big joke and there's multiple "meme" type websites dedicated to mocking the so-called "check your privilege" meme.

Because what could be a greater showcase on of privilege than getting on the internet to mock people for stating that things like racial privilege exist. "Those silly social justice internet weirdos, saying "check your privilege", aren't they self-aware of how silly they sound? I can't say "check your privilege" without bursting into laughter! I'm white so I know what I'm talking about! If anything, white people are the most discriminated against because of political correctness!".

Systematic privilege is a problem all throughout America. And certainly not just the southern regions. You don't have to post news of Alabama to prove racism is still a problem. I hate that so much racism has to be overt and blatant to matter to many of the folks in privileged groups.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
MysticSlayer said:
Well, that is the deep American South (more specifically, Alabama, one of the worst of the southern states). With the exception maybe of Florida and Louisiana (can't speak for Louisiana on experience, but I did know someone from there), the deep American South still hasn't caught up with the times in terms of racial equality, which is still far from perfect to begin with.
This in a nut shell, sadly, though Racial Equality is one of many issues the deep south tends to be 50+ years behind on compared to the rest of the country.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Deshara said:
kaioshade said:
Deshara said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, you find the most civilised society on Earth and there will still be racism. But it's possible (and quit easy) to find clusters of racism behaviour. And boy, is there a ton of it still going on in the South. That's not to say that there isn't racism elsewhere, but come on!
Implying that we're civilized...
Keep in mind that this is the country where not only are people walking into schools with guns and killing people's children a thing, but it happening sparks no change.
Children not getting shot to death in elementary schools<nra's profit margin.
Not civilized.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget how this year we all found out that running a minor down in the street with a gun and killing them isn't murder if your victim's black and therefor a dangerous hoodlum
The US is far from perfect, but to say we are uncivilized is a stretch.

Yeah, worse things are happening around the world, but I'm a firm believer that the worst in people comes out in times of crisis. People will kill and murder for food in a famine, and butchery happens in the midst of a civil war, but what's our excuse for all the robbery and rapes and killings? If we have people gunning down children in our schools now, what the fuck will happen when there's an actual food shortage in the US? We're the richest people in the world, but we still can't control ourselves. I shudder to think what americans will do when faced with actual adversity
In the United States we have what may be the strongest culture of independence of any of the first world countries. We expect people do fend for themselves, to solve their own problems. When a person has a problem our first question is not "how can we help?" it is "why can't they fix it on their own?" We expect people to do everything in their power to fix their own problems before looking for outside help. Signs of this cultural trait are everywhere. Consider the American Dream, the central idea of American culture - if you work hard enough you can reach any height and fulfill any desire you may have. It all depends on you.

This cultural trait has many consequences, both good and bad. One of those consequences is that people tend to turn inward when the going gets rough. Instead of looking for help they look for their own solution. If they cannot solve their own problem, say in the case of mental illness, the problem tends to get worse and worse. And even if they seek out help it is sometimes shrugged off as that person being lazy or complaining over a minor matter.

Eventually this will lead to very serious problems. A person will very occasionally be driven to extreme, even insane, solutions. A child bullied will commit suicide to escape instead of seeking out help. A desperate man will shoot up a school.

That is one of the reasons I think we have as much pointless violence and crime as we do here.

Of course, this is all just my speculation.

Edit: just so everyone knows, I am not excusing mass killings in any way. I don't think the attackers are victims of our culture. I just think this is a contributing cause.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
BoogieManFL said:
I've lived in the US most of my 33 years of life and I've never experienced or seen (or anyone that I know) has ever been exposed to any form of racism, neither giving or receiving. I lived up north in Indiana for about 18-19 years, and in Florida for the rest.

I like to think that for the most part and in most places it's mostly gone. But you often hear of something racially charged occurring. A lot of it is probably restricted to small areas here and there. But on the other hand, less direct forms of racism are quite common. For example, the recent George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin deal. If Trayvon was a white kid, a hispanic hid, or just about any other race than black I promise you it wouldn't have had the national coverage or impact that it has. It got so big because a black kid was killed by a not black person. People ran around with their signs that said things like "What if Trayvon was white?" and other signs that were aimed at white people. Why? Travyon wasn't white. Zimmerman isn't white. So what the hell did that even matter?

Then they get all up in arms about the Stand Your Ground law, which as I understand wasn't even used in this case. It just one thing after another, all motivated specifically because people believe Trayvon was racially profiled and followed because he was black.

It is going to take more time yet, and Black people have some work to do themselves about their reputation. I don't say that in a racist way, because I'm not racist, I have non-whites in my family and that isn't how I was raised. But let me ask you this, if you're walking down the sidewalk late at night would you be more nervous to walk past a group of white guys or black guys? Black dudes have a reputation for being aggressive and eager to act like tough guys with the smallest provocation. So in all reality, I think it's fair to say they are as almost at much at fault for the continuing racial issues as much as true racists themselves.

A tricky issue to say the least.. But I think in time it will go away entirely. How long? Who can say..
Have to agree with you here. Lived in the south my whole life and if I'm being honest an overwhelming amount of the real racism I witnessed was not coming from white people. People need to learn the difference between actual "your kind aint welcome around" racism and perceived racism. Just because you don't get your way or something happens to you does not mean its because of the color of your skin. I called a racist just this week for not letting someone use our employees only bathroom at work. People are not mad because two girls did not get into a sorority. They are mad because a group of white people did not give something to a group of black people. Now in this case if all the info is factual it was obviously racism but even if it was not people would still say racism. Now take the exact same situation. Exact same situation except change the races around. Nobody would care and nobody would say racism. It would be excused and we would probably never hear about it. You could have one of the students holding a sign that said "no whiteys" and people would still make excuses. If people are going to discuss the issue of racism, as they should, they need to stop pretending its just white people who are capable of it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've been to Florida, Washington and NYC over the years and have yet to encounter a single case of racism. I'm obviously handicapped by the fact that I've only been there for a few months total, but hey, that's my testimony. On the other hand, NYC is a pretty multicultural place to be and I don't think it's very reprensetative of the US.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Wraith said:
But with all that you may think, ?Why can?t ****** have multiple meanings? Why can?t it evolve from only affecting black people to affecting everyone else as well??
That is because over the centuries since its inception it has always been exclusive and continues to remain so. Again, no one uses that slur for any race other than black. If the word began to change its meaning centuries ago, it may very well have become something that could be used for any race. But it didn?t change. It is continually used to target the people it was created to degrade. It can?t be used widely, because people never started using it widely.
That's circular logic, in addition to assuming taking as long as "centuries" is necessary for a word to change meaning. I'd put forth the idea that it takes much less time, closer to decades to a century with such examples as "queer", "boner", and even "gay", all words that took less than a century from having one specific meaning, being stretched to include another, then the former meaning becoming more or less irrelevant.

Edit: Not to imply I care about mainstreaming "******".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
The only thing with that is, it's more politically motivated than racially motivated.
If that's true, why target black people more aggressively than other traditionally liberal groups? They're targeting college students, but predominately black ones, despite the tendency of college students in general to vote more liberal.

Okay, fine. Maybe those are anomalies.

What about shit like "stop and frisk?"

Why do black people tend to get harsher sentences than whites? Is this also political rather than racial?

Why are drug use rates between blacks and whites similar, but blacks count for like 60-70% of drug charges?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
The only thing with that is, it's more politically motivated than racially motivated.
If that's true, why target black people more aggressively than other traditionally liberal groups? They're targeting college students, but predominately black ones, despite the tendency of college students in general to vote more liberal.

Okay, fine. Maybe those are anomalies.

What about shit like "stop and frisk?"

Why do black people tend to get harsher sentences than whites? Is this also political rather than racial?

Why are drug use rates between blacks and whites similar, but blacks count for like 60-70% of drug charges?
Whoah whoah whoah. I'm not saying racism isn't prevalent (in fact I said it /was/ prevalent, just not as out in the open as it used to be.) It's just that that one example is a bad one, and the republicans do very much try to disenfranchise /all/ of the traditionally Democratic voting blocks. They just focus on poor people because they're easier targets -- that's what the push to require a driver's license in order to vote is all about, for example. Although at least in my state (Florida) there's still a Jim Crow era law on the books aimed specifically at keeping blacks from voting for entirely racial reasons: the law that prevents convicted felons from voting even after they've served their time. Note that I'm not saying anything about the modern crime rate (although minorities are still disproportionately convicted and/or given harsher sentences), just that that law is old enough that that really is the reason it exists.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
It's just that that one example is a bad one
It's not. Your argument didn't pass the smell test. You can claim otherwise, but you should know better. I do know better.

Good day, sir.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
It's just that that one example is a bad one
It's not. Your argument didn't pass the smell test. You can claim otherwise, but you should know better. I do know better.

Good day, sir.
So, uh, did you read anything I wrote aside from what you quoted? In either post?