Nightcrawler To Play Green Goblin?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nightcrawler To Play Green Goblin?

Rumours are circulating that Alan Cumming will play the Green Goblin in the upcoming Spiderman musical.

It sounds ridiculous on paper, a Broadway musical based on Spiderman, with a score written by U2 and a budget that has supposedly already reached the $40 million mark. (It's even worse if you say it out loud, trust me.) But as much as it sounds like the fevered fantasies of a theater-loving comic book nerd, Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark is the real deal.

Now the New York Post [http://www.nypost.com/seven/05152009/entertainment/theater/goblin_up_spider_man_bucks_169306.htm] is reporting that the show's director Julie Taymor has set her sights on Alan Cumming to play her villain, Green Goblin.

Cumming, who played Nightcrawler in 2003's X2, easily the most interesting thing in that movie, is a Tony award winning actor who could ask for a salary in the region of $15,000 a week. Taymor, who has been described as not knowing the meaning of the word 'budget' is said to be very keen for Cumming to take the role, and according to the Post, "what Julie wants, Julie usually gets."

The salaries could be the sticking point however, as Sony, the show's producer, are looking to keep weekly overheads down, which are likely to be nearly $1 million. However, as the Post notes, "If you're willing to spend $40 million on a Broadway musical, how, with a straight face, can you tell a name actor he's too pricey?"

Source: via io9 [http://io9.com/5256692/and-you-thought-the-spider+man-musical-couldnt-get-more-ridiculous]

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
A Spider-Man... musical? How could this possibly work? And what the hell could they have spent $40 million on? It's a stage show, for God's sake!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I get horrible pictures in my head of people on stage singing "Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can."...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
I get horrible pictures in my head of people on stage singing "Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can."...
You know it will happen.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
sounds... hideous.... who would want to see a spiderman musical of all things? And why the fuck would anyone in their right mind pay $40 million on a stage performance before all the actors have even been hired! Wait, there was something wrong with that sentence... Who in their right mind would spend $40 million on a stage performance in the first place!

This is a joke that has no chance of a return

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Well this reminds me of the first time I saw Alan Cumming, which was in the TV series "The High Life" about a Scottish airline.

Since it's almost Eurovision time, heres a classic clip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rhrX7aYeNk

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
tk1989 said:
sounds... hideous.... who would want to see a spiderman musical of all things? And why the fuck would anyone in their right mind pay $40 million on a stage performance before all the actors have even been hired! Wait, there was something wrong with that sentence... Who in their right mind would spend $40 million on a stage performance in the first place!

This is a joke that has no chance of a return
Lets check the list of things people thought wouldn't work as a Broadway musical. Disney. Mel Brooks. Camp horror. Actual horror. Aids. Puppets fucking. A Urine based dystopia. Adam Sandler.

What do they all have in common? Tony's.
Sadly, that statement fills me with a small amount of hope, soon to be crushed. Accurse you!

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
A score written by U2?

I can see it now...

"But I still haven't found...Mysterio..."

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Anachronism said:
A Spider-Man... musical? How could this possibly work? And what the hell could they have spent $40 million on? It's a stage show, for God's sake!
Some form of mind-altering gas to convince everyone that the show is good.