2014 could be the 2nd crappiest year in gaming

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Guise Of the Wolf,Rekoil, and now Rambo; And it's only February! It's not looking good so far and all there needs to be is for a highly anticipated game this year to come out and suck a rhinoceros taint and this will be one of the worst years for gaming in recent memory IMO.

Mar 26, 2008
There are certain months of the year that are usually dumping grounds for bad games; this one being one of them. Stay tuned for March madness where you at least have Titanfall and MGS5 coming out.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Just because there are some bad games that are out, doesn't mean that everything looks bleak. I think one problem many gamers have nowadays is that they don't really have any optimism for things, even being cautiously optimistic seems to be gone.
The beginning of the year rarely has the best games out until March, as March through May usually seem to be the hot ticket games that come out. Then we have the summer drought, and after summer is when the rest of the games come out.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The post-Christmas glut always sucks.
Always. The worst games of the year regularly launch in the first two months of the year.

Though if it's all the same, there is absolutely nothing else on my gaming radar this year either.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Dark Souls II, Final Fantasy X HD collection, Titanfall, Dragon Age: Inquisition (at least to me), and I'm sure some other games further out in the year would like to disagree with your suggestion. Although I suppose if you don't like those games, then I guess they don't count...

Anyway, we're only done with two months out of a twelve month year. Ease up a bit. As everyone has already pointed out, after Christmas game season isn't all that great. It'd be nice if it was good, but alas, it's always a drag. And then there's the summer drought that hits in the middle of the year as companies buckle down to get ready for Christmas season again.

Although I would like to know what you consider is the worst year in gaming, since you fear that this could only be the second-to-worst year.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I'm just banking on Telltale hitting it home, as long as they can handle as many projects as they've taken on.

And I'm a sucker for anything Tim Schafer related; so Broken Age.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Destiny, Wither 3, Dragon Age IWalking Inquisition, Walking Dead Season 2, Broken Age, Pillars of Eternity, and Dead State make your argument invalid.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Nope, don't think so. I have Shadow of Mordor, Watchdogs, Infamous:Second Son, Dying Light, The Division, and Titanfall. There are others, but I can't think of them right now. This year is looking pretty good.

Don't base how the year is going to go based on PC only titles. Hundreds of games are released a year, not all of them can be good.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, it's looking like a decidedly iffy sort of year.

I think it's the effect of the new console generation. The good stuff isn't out yet or is hitting delays while the crummy launch titles reign supreme.

Still, I am looking forward to Telltale's stuff.

Incidentally, id this could be the 2nd crappiest, what was the crappiest?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Err, I usually measure a year's "gaming quality" by the number of good games that come out, not the number of random shitty games I've never heard of that come out. You know, since the existence of 10 or 10,000 shitty games doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever as long as there are a handful of good ones.

Also, it's February. You know, the second month of the year. Out of twelve.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm wondering what you consider the worst year in gaming as well.

There are a few games which are going to receive critical acclaim (most likely), some being Dark Souls II, Titanfall, Destiny and Dragon Age Inquisition.

We're in the post Christmas releases, the games that nobody cares about anyway unless you want to get Thief.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hotline Miami 2 and a few other indie titles are coming out this year, that's good enough for me lol. Might pick up Dark Souls 2 if my laptop's good enough.

Speaking of video-games as a whole though OP, you might want to hold the hyperbole until March comes.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Yeah I think there are some really good games on the horizon: Lords of Shadow 2 this week then Thief and Dark Souls 2 next month. And later this year when finally some good new gen games start coming out like Watch Dogs, MGS5 Phantom Pain(I hope), Evil Within snd The Order.

Those are seven high-profile games I think I'm gonna enjoy a lot. That's not bad at all in my opinion. Not to mention games that are under the radar or have yet to be announced. Though I agree new games are being released with the speed of litigation.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'll be honest, I'm not that bothered. I have plenty of games that need finishing and some that need starting too. I really want to give Demon's Souls another go as I really want to like that game, it just won't let me. The last generation is winding down and I have no intention of buying a PS4 this year so really I'm not bothered.

Plus, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is out at the end of this week and I'm sure that Watch Dogs will be at least playable, there are still games coming out that I want to play.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Zhukov said:
Incidentally, id this could be the 2nd crappiest, what was the crappiest?
I'm wondering this as well OP.

Between the new console port-release drought combined with the usual post Christmas dump has resulting in nothing but poor games out, it'll (hopefully) pass in the next few months for AAA titles.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Just so you know, there've been bad video games since the invention of video games. In fact, they make up the vast majority. The existence of bad games does not make a year "crappy", the lack of good ones does.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I think the year seems more promising than past years, i'm actually looking forward to more than 5 titles this time around. Ca only be better than the wasteland that was 2012!
Dark Souls 2, Ninja Gaiden: Yaiba, Layton Vs Phoenix Wright, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default, Persona 5, Bayonetta 2, Persona 4:Arena 2, Guilty Gear Xrd, The Evil Within... I could go on for a long time!

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
You're kidding right? You can't base worst year on the forgetable stinkers, you base it on lack of good.

That said for worst... I seem to remember 2006 being particularly dry. Oblivion is the only thing of note I remember, and it was a disappointment.