2014 Steam Winter Sale casualty report

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I think I gave 50-60 euros and I am quit happy for that.
I wanted to buy some specific games, but they are still expensive as f*ck.
The games I didn't buy:
Dark Souls 2 [PLUS the expantions]
Wolf Among Us
Talos Principle
Metal Gear Rising [I play it on PS3 but I want to play it also in PC]
Double Dragon Neo [the same as above]
And some other I don't remember right now.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
$0.00

I only bought The Banner Saga but it was cheaper on humblebundle.

That said, I'm convinced I'll buy Shovel Knight in the future.
I'll just wait for the March Sale when it's likely 50% off.

There are other games I'm considering but they need substantial price drops along with their season passes and DLC before I pull the trigger (Shadows of Mordor and The Evil Within for example)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I only actually spent around £15 this time around. With over 300 games on my Steam library, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find games that I don't have.

I got Wolfenstein: The New Order for about £11, and I got Max Payne 3 for £4. I have yet to install Max Payne, and I have only just started to play Wolfenstein, but the first thing I noticed about it was how boring the intro was. Corridor galore. I hope the game really does get more interesting like all the reviews say it does.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I spent nothing. I mean, there were a few titles that interest me and I would like to play, but I have already bought a few games during Autumn sale on GOG, so I don't think that I will be gameless in the nearest future.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I spend a total of ?30,04 on 9 games. Most expensive one were Long Live the Queen and The Sacred Tears TRUE, both ?4,99. The cheapest was Saturday Morning RPG, which was ?1,74.

Other stats:

Total amount of money spend on Steam in 2014: ?111,83
Number of games bought: 38
Average per title: ?2,94
Number of games played through: 26

It was a fine battle and I consider it a small victory for me. My current backlog should be enough to keep me entertained until the next big sales.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I have skipped the last few Steam sales, just losing my interest in gaming I think, well outside of the Wii U.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Oh. Right.

Steam sales were happening. 3 hours to spare! Yay!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd now I'm broke.

Snagged:

-Transistor (Not really into 'indie' games in general, but the aesthetic looks lovely)
-Wolfenstein (Yahtzee and TB both seemed to really like the story chops, so I'll give it a go)
-Saints Row 4 (Wasn't really interested for a long while...but 8 bucks for all the dlc? Mine.)

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Dead Space 2, MGR: Revengeance, Dark Souls, and Mr Torgue's Campaign of Carnage. The latter simply refuses to sell for a better discount than 50%.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I got Shadow Warrior for $3.99 and Depth for something like $10. No other games on my wishlist dropped enough for me to warrant buying them.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
I have skipped the last few Steam sales, just losing my interest in gaming I think, well outside of the Wii U.
I kinda thought that might be the case, then it turned out most AAA games just kinda suck nowadays - over bloated uninspired buggy tedious nonsense.
As it turns out, Nintendo's still hella awesome and indies are putting out loads of fantastic stuff.
My Wii U and the little games are a blast.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Wasteland 2 - $22
Civ 3 full - $2
Civ 4 full - $8
Civ 5 full - $14
ShadMo - $30
Postal 2 - $3
Morrowind - $8
DA Inquy (ORIGIN) - $46

$133 CAD.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
$5 on completing my Assassin's Creed collection. Yeah I know AC2 has PC issues, I'm just weird like that in having to have the whole series together. Other than that, most everything on sale I already own...

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I was good. Only bought Final Fantasy 3. Though I was tempted to buy much more.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not as bad as I thought it will be since I only bought -

The Cave
Skullgirls
Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2
Freedom Planet.

It seen I have more will power than I thought especially when the games on my wishlist (12 althought two of them were only down by 33% but they are kind of new) were on the Steam Sale.

My reason for no buying the rest on the Winter sales was due to the way I operate when playing my game which is playing and complete one game (or a couple) at a time. Considering that I still got other games to finish beforehand, the recent purchased games should last me till the next sale aka Summer Sale.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Scarim Coral said:
Skullgirls
Can't believe I almost missed that one.

Thank ya for the unintentional reminder, sir/madam.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Prince of Ales said:
Wondering about buying Shadow of Mordor while it's on offer. I don't currently have a computer that can run it but should be getting one in the coming year. So it's a question of whether this will be cheaper later on or not.
It's a great game and definitely worth the price it's at now, but it really depends on how long it'll be 'til you replace your computer. If you won't be replacing it 'til summer or beyond, it's probably best to wait, since everything under the sun goes on sale during the steam summer sale.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Let's see...

State of Decay for $5
Darksiders Franchise Bundle for ~$9
Goat Simulator for $3
Lego LotR for $5
Transistor for ~$6
Recettear for ~$6

So a little over $30, which is a hell of a lot less than usual.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
Flatout 2 for 2.49
Castle Crashers 4-pack for 4.49
Strike Suit Zero Director's Cut for 4.99
Mass Effect 2 for 4.99
Just Cause 2 for 2.99

For the Record, I just used a 20 dollar steam card, but I think I got a pretty good haul. And I sent some of the games I bought as gifts too.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
Transistor - ?6,45
This War of Mine - ?14,24
Walking Dead Season 2 - ?5,74
Payday 2 Heist Bundle - ?5,74
AC 4 Black Flag - ?7,50
Metal Gear Rising - ?3,99

That's around ~43,66... oh boy.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Ieyke said:
WeepingAngels said:
I kinda thought that might be the case, then it turned out most AAA games just kinda suck nowadays - over bloated uninspired buggy tedious nonsense.
As it turns out, Nintendo's still hella awesome and indies are putting out loads of fantastic stuff.
My Wii U and the little games are a blast.
Well I didn't want to come out and say it but yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts too. I am pretty sick of the same ol same ol and to make matters worse, the games are dependent on internet access and servers being available to even run on Day 1.

I am becoming more and more concerned with games I buy today not working properly in 10 years when I want to reinstall and play them.