2014 - The Most Disappointing Year for Games

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So yeah, pretty much all the games that I know about came out already, so I guess that means this gaming year is over. And man, it was disappointing. I'm pretty sure that I don't need to tell you guys what games fell flat. You know that somethings wrong when you enjoy CoD more than any game out there this year. So my question is, why? What happened?

On a side note, what about 2015 eh? Just Cause 3, Arkham Knight, Battlefront, and so many others! Hopefully it wont turn out too much like this year.

EDIT: So many of you guys are telling me that they weren't disappointed, which is great. At least some people had fun playing games (though no offense, I never even heard of a lot of those games. I guess they're more niche?) However, I meant disappointing for gaming in general, with so many big releases falling flat, not to mention all the crazy shit WHICH I HOPE NONE OF YOU BRING UP AGAIN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD that happened in the games industry, and also pretty much Ubisoft (I guess I should have named it "gaming" instead of just games)

Anyway, I'm starting to realize why I was so hyped for this year anyway: I blame E3. They announced so many games that people were so excited for, but it turns out quite a bit of them are out next year. So again, 2015. Please don't disappoint.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
2014 was just a year designed to get people to buy the current gen consoles because of the barren wasteland that was the release schedule. The launch titles of last year were practically the only new games to get. The 360/PS3 ports of some games like Shadows of Mordor and Wolfenstein: The New Order were significantly inferior to their current gen versions.

Meanwhile on Steam, indie games spurt endless waves of games to the point where checking the quality is just a near impossible task. Sure, good games came out of it, but for the most part it was just an avalanche of titles good, bad, shit and great.

Now that everybody has bought their consoles (to a somewhat surprising degree, especially for the PS4), we can move onto 2015 when we can hopefully get more stuff worth playing.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
It's too subjective, I said at the beginning of 2014 that THIS would be my year of games, I was a bit wrong just due to pushed back release dates (2015 WILL be my year of games) but I still found a few worthy entrants into my library.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
TheKasp said:
and soon we get Witcher 3.
I mean... that is going to be in 2015 so I dunno if it's fair to mention it.

OT: I wouldn't go that far. I've been pretty disappointed overall, but I also still have a bunch of games to play and finish, like Bayonetta 2 (I never played the first one so I'm still going through that), Divinity: Original Sin (love what I've played so far, but I keep getting distracted by other things), Bravely Default (ditto), BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, Freedom Planet, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

So while I'll say that the fact my current list is something like Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Transistor, Age of Wonders III, Super Smash Bros., and... I dunno, Hearthstone or Diablo III: Reaper of Souls is a little disappointing to me in comparison to some previous years, it's not entirely for a lack of other games.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I guess it would be disappointing if you don't have a Wii U.

Outside of Bayonetta 2 and Super Smash Bros., I wasn't really excited for any of the games on the next gen consoles that were being hyped up, and Bayo and Smash met the hype for me. I'm planning on getting a PS4 for Christmas, but it's mostly for The Last of Us Remastered, and maybe a few others.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Glorious PC gamer chiming in.
I've been fairly satisfied with Age of Wonders 3, Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin this year, which is more than I can say for the previous couple of years.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Speak for yourself, 2014 has been excellent for me.
This is just another threads except hitting a wider scale. Simply put pointless except on exposing limited tastes.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
I dunno, maybe it wasn't great, but compared to 1779, man not a single AAA game released that year!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TheKasp said:
2014 - The Most Disappointing Gaming Year for Me
Fixed that for you.
Saved me the trouble. :p

OT: While it is completely subjective, just because "The Big Three" games that were super-mega-ultra hyped (Titan Fall, Watch_Dogs, and Destiny) ended up being bland and tasteless doesn't mean the entire year was a wash. Games I purchased and enjoyed:

Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete Edition (PS4)
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Edition (PS4)
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil (PS4)
Alien Isolation (PS4)
Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4)

And I know there's a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. Point is that for me this year has been just fine in terms of gaming.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Nintendo did well this year but if the PS4 and Xbone got truely new games and not just a bunch of last-gen games Nintendo would have been absolutely crushed. When it comes to console games though I agree, 2014 just wasn't a good year (again, unless you're a Nintendo fan). Another big problem I saw with this year was how the PS3 and 360 are still getting games that I could have swore would be next-gen exclusives. Games like Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Little Big Planet 3, and The Evil Within...I could have sworn those were all next-gen exclusive! I know that I'm in the minority here but there are others like me who will wait a bit for the last-gen versions to drop in price instead of getting a new console AND those shiny-new versions of those games. Little Big Planet 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition especially confused me for the past-and-new gen support...oh well...if the new consoles were backwards compatible none of those last-gen editions would have been worked on I guess.

2015 could be a pretty great year for gaming. Hopefully for me it'll be a better year in general.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I remember 2009 or 2010 being much worse - on top of the usual money-grubbing practices, there were no games I was interested in at all. At least this year we've had a few big games whose progress I was following.

Jesterscup said:
I dunno, maybe it wasn't great, but compared to 1779, man not a single AAA game released that year!
You wanna talk about how bad 1779 was? Ha, don't even get me started on 1901! Misery - nothing but card games.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
Barbas said:
I remember 2009 or 2010 being much worse - on top of the usual money-grubbing practices, there were no games I was interested in at all. At least this year we've had a few big games whose progress I was following.

Jesterscup said:
You wanna talk about how bad 1779 was? Ha, don't even get me started on 1901! Misery - nothing but card games.
yeah , but Flinch was created and released in 1901! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flinch_%28card_game%29

Cheekily I googled for games released in 1779, and found my own post on here!

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah I dunno. This has been a great year of gaming for me. A little backloaded perhaps, but still pretty strong.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
So Dark Souls 2, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon, Persona Q, Metal Gear Rising on PC, Valkyria Chronicles on PC, Octodad, Dangan Ronpa,Metal Gear Solid 5, Half Minute Hero 2, Hearthstone came out of beta, Civ 5, Outlast, Shovel Knight, SHadow of MOrdor...Yeah those all didn't happen this year. And those are just the games I can think of off the top of my head that are all pretty good in one way or another.

You should rephrase your statement to "No triple A games I like came out this year."

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
For you I guess.
I mean to me this year seems pretty awesome

Mario Cart 8

Wolfenstein The New Order

Bayonetta 2(Bayonetta WiiU)

Smash Bros WiiU

Hyrule Warriors

Dragon Age 3

Shadow of Mordor

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Five Nights at Freddy?s 1&2

Alien Isolation

The Evil Within

Strider

Dark Souls 2

And
Two that I liked but no one else did.
Castlevania and Theif

I could keep going.
Yeah the cross platform hyped heavy hitters turned out to be train wrecks or a steaming pile of meh but really those were just a few drops of water in a raging river this year.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Nintendo had one of the best years in recent memory.

PC gaming is strong as usual.

PS4 and Xbone still had some great games despite some of the biggest ones being disappointing.

I'm not seeing the issue here.

I thought it was an excellent year, as usual. I don't think we can really have bad years for gaming anymore. There's just too much high quality stuff coming form many different sources. If it's disappointing on one platform, you can bet that it'll be great on the others.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Speak for yourself, this was the year of... well, they've all been listed already. But there were some great games out there this year.