snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
My mom has tried to sit down and play a video game with me on a few occasions only to have her ass handed to her on the most lavish platter you've ever seen, be it by me or a computer. She has no chance of ever getting "into it". She couldn't even grasp that analog stick = move.

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
Oh, wow, I think this is somebody every young person who has played video games can relate to.

Just how many times have your parents blamed your computer or game system for virtually all the failures in your life?

Besides that, I was playing Postal 2 when I was like, twelve. My parents even watched me do it sometimes. Neither they nor I ever took it as any more than a silly game.

Besides, by then I was already well versed in sadism. >:)

Apr 28, 2008
snowman6251 said:
My mom has tried to sit down and play a video game with me on a few occasions only to have her ass handed to her on the most lavish platter you've ever seen, be it by me or a computer. She has no chance of ever getting "into it". She couldn't even grasp that analog stick = move.
Many non-gamers can't. Gamers take the most basic gaming skills for granted. The fact that you know what the controller does means your miles ahead.

OT: Thankfully my parent's don't think this way. Hell playing DOOM back in 1994 is how me and my dad spent time together. I'd sit on his lap and we'd take turns looking/shooting and moving.

Oh, and in defense of parents, VCR's are a ***** to program.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I sometimes wanted my dad to sit along and play something with me, but he prefered to watch some pretty retarded novelas and watch something stupidly retarded on Televisa and TV Azteca (2 of the biggest TV boradcasts in Mexico and both are simply retarded beyond reason).

The only few times I enjoyied to play with him were a couple of times while we were playing Mario Kart 64 (those 4 controller ports did wonders back on the day). I even bought Wario Ware Inc. in the hopes for him to sit down and play some silly microgames (you can't go wrong with a game wich can only be controlled with a single button and the D-pad).

My godfather is a gamer at heart, he obviously has a lot of rsponsibilities, like feeding his kids, and a lot of work, but when he's on the mood for some play, we and my nephew have a blast playing together. Even I take m PC to his house sometimes to play something in LAN.
Hell, if it wasn't for him, I would've never be so damn interested in First Person Shooers in my life, he introduced me to Doom 2 and I fell in love with a genre still on it's diapers.

red dragon 52

May 4, 2010
First writing and reading were seen as dangerous by the last generation who grew up without it, then came radio, comic books, T.V. etc. Most members of the generation who grew up without a technology are not capable of understanding it while the youth are the first to grasp it. If you don't understand something you see it as dangerous.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Its only a matter of time before the whole thing shifts. As the non-gaming people slowly phase out and the people who have grown up with video games become the "norm" the whole perception of video games will change. Im pretty sure they went through much the same thing when radio and tv were invented.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
A well thought out Ask, Dr. Mark. A lot of people need to try to keep in mind the viewpoint of parents with new things like this. It's hard to imagine that people would be so against something so innocuous, but they are.

I was fortunate enough that at least one of my parents was a gamer as well. Mind you, he only played the earliest consoles and early PC games (he still plays some of them, but he's not the best), but the fact that he found them a good use of time means that he saw they were an okay use of time for me.

I also know what you mean by parents limiting time, or attempting to do so. During summers, it was impossible for my parents to limit my time. I had grown out of daycare and we couldn't afford a babysitter. They were both at work, so I spent most of my time playing with LEGOs, reading, playing SEGA or PC, or visiting a friend.

Eventually, about the time where internet started becoming more popular in homes (woo, dial-up!), my parents tried limiting my time on a computer. This worked to a degree, as they had to let me online. Eventually though, the computer was online constantly, and it was more difficult to limit me since they weren't around.

It eventually turned into no time limit, as there was no time for them to watch me.

Maybe once we have cheap, efficient, and safe NannyBots, then children can be more effectively limited.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
As gamers are now parents with young families, I believe that in 10 - 20 years time games will be as acceptable as books, music and TV with concern groups instead focusing on the type of computer games (like they do with books, movies and tv).
Meanwhile some new technology will come along for us to feel an reasonably scared of..

NonyaZ

I'm still not that kind of Orc.
Apr 18, 2010
I can honestly say if it wasn't for video games, I would not have the career I have now, nor would I have the knowledge and adaptation for technology. My parents never limited my time on video games, but they encouraged me to spend my own money on computer parts and new games, so when I wanted something, I worked for it, either by mowing lawns or washing dishes in a restaurant. Video games don't HAVE to be a bad thing, but they cant be spoon fed to our youth, less you want our youth to have the work ethic of a dead horse.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Irridium said:
snowman6251 said:
Many non-gamers can't. Gamers take the most basic gaming skills for granted. The fact that you know what the controller does means your miles ahead.

OT: Thankfully my parent's don't think this way. Hell playing DOOM back in 1994 is how me and my dad spent time together. I'd sit on his lap and we'd take turns looking/shooting and moving.

Oh, and in defense of parents, VCR's are a ***** to program.
I know that despite being second nature for me its not exactly the most intuitive thing in the world for non-gamers. That being said though when looking at a pad with buttons and a stick that moves in 360 degree motion and being told "MOVE THE STICK TO MOVE" and then still not understanding what part makes the character move forward, that's kind of sad.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
NonyaZ said:
Video games don't HAVE to be a bad thing, but they cant be spoon fed to our youth, less you want our youth to have the work ethic of a dead horse.
Youre right, anything in excess is a bad thing even vegetables. The only thing we hear on the news and read in the papers is the people that take gaming to the extreme. Kids passing out or being hospitalized for gaming 80+ hours straight or people blaming games like Postal or Manhunt for their violent outbursts. And that is all that people think when they see their kids playing video games even though people and games like that make up only a small fraction of the gaming community as a whole.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
I'm going to try and do what my parents did for me. There's schoolwork and chores, and when those are done, you can do what you want. We had a computer that was good enough for my parents. I had to make and spend my own money to upgrade it to a gaming machine. I played at other kids' houses, but it still motivated me more and got me to work and earn my first computer. I really appreciate that.

One thing I might change, though, is focusing more on physical activity. I really wish I was more fit. I'm not out of shape, particularly, I just wish I was stronger and fitter. I'm going to encourage my kids to do more outdoors because I wish someone had done that for me. So that now, the 25 year old me wouldn't have to work so hard to lift weights and run because the 15 year old me had just been more active to begin with.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
NonyaZ said:
I can honestly say if it wasn't for video games, I would not have the career I have now, nor would I have the knowledge and adaptation for technology. My parents never limited my time on video games, but they encouraged me to spend my own money on computer parts and new games, so when I wanted something, I worked for it, either by mowing lawns or washing dishes in a restaurant. Video games don't HAVE to be a bad thing, but they cant be spoon fed to our youth, less you want our youth to have the work ethic of a dead horse.
A good point. I still did chores and the like too. I probably would've been a bit better off had I been made to do more work in order to get my game-time. That's a good idea! I will remember to use it for my own kids (aside from birthday/Christmas gifts XD)!

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Another great article from Dr. Mark as always.

Whenever something influences the young minds, there will be always scapegoating. We might go scapegoating on whatever new.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
I guess I was lucky. I spent a lot of time playing games with my dad as a kid on our Genesis and PS2. He was one of the early gamers, we still have his Intellivision.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
Mark J Kline said:
Many parents also worry about the effect of gaming on their kids' health. Gamers aren't noted for having the best sleep hygiene. It is easy to play late into the night and end up oversleeping or being semi-comatose the next day. Even though there are games that involve exercise (DDR and the Wii come to mind), we should acknowledge that this hobby is largely sedentary, so parents worry if their kids are getting enough exercise, and experts wonder if gaming is contributing to an epidemic of obesity.
Wow, did I feel a shiver reading this or what.

Not one to fuel a fire here but I'll have to agree with this one. Didn't sleep until 5am last night and didn't wake until 2pm. I know I'm overweight as well.

Horrible things, these games.

I think my parents tried the method of 2 hours only thing but eventually they got tired of trying to time what I do (and trying to fight the eventual "one more life, there were those loading screens that didn't count" business) that I think they gave up.