2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic (Vaccination 2021 Edition)

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
£75 (~$100) is just the raw, basic free spend to do with as the individual wishes, although it has to cover many basics like food. There are a lot of other benefits available as needed. Although the UK is another low-welfare country, albeit not quite as bad as the US average.
I dont see any reason to believe the citizens of the UK are better cared for.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
There is a reason Agema said "not quite as bad" rather than something that would indicate a difference that is extremely obvious.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
There is a reason Agema said "not quite as bad" rather than something that would indicate a difference that is extremely obvious.
I wish Saelune were here to back me up on "the US is so much worse/further right than Europe" being a collective internet delusion.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Undoubtedly it varies for different people depending on their circumstances, and there is a lot of variation across the USA by state. Nevertheless, see for example:

1611698189376.png

But the bottom line is that the US spends much less on welfare and its citizens consequently receive much less relative to the average wage.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No they didn't.

Where test results do not correspond with the clinical presentation, a new specimen should be taken and retested using the same or different NAT technology.
Now that does rather sound like suggesting taking two tests there to me.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Undoubtedly it varies for different people depending on their circumstances, and there is a lot of variation across the USA by state. Nevertheless, see for example:

View attachment 2717

But the bottom line is that the US spends much less on welfare and its citizens consequently receive much less relative to the average wage.
I'm not even going to try and guess how that source rationalizes the US offering no housing benefits while Section 8 absolutely exists. You should probably not consider that chart meaningful in any way.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm not even going to try and guess how that source rationalizes the US offering no housing benefits while Section 8 absolutely exists. You should probably not consider that chart meaningful in any way.
Well the source is the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development - of which the United States is a member nation - so presumably the data comes the relevant departments in the US Federal Government.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I wish Saelune were here to back me up on "the US is so much worse/further right than Europe" being a collective internet delusion.
The UK is particularly bad at the moment, and part of that was pretending not to be part of Europe, I don't know how representative they are. OTOH, various places in Europe have their own unique ways of getting everything wrong. The UK and US are leading the way (in the West, at least) for covid mismanagement, though, IIRC.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Now that does rather sound like suggesting taking two tests there to me.
In specific circumstances, which are literally the same circumstances you'd want to do another test with regards to any medical test result not quite making sense. There's no reason to do second or third tests more often with covid than the flu or anything else.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
As somebody how lives in the US? That chart's pretty accurate. Sure, some form of subsidized housing exists, but it's complicated, means toasted to fuck and back, wholly inadequate, and has a wait list a decade long.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
See thumbnail, or try this (NZ governmental source, MS word doc):

Or look at general figures for governmental social spending (%GDP), where the USA is low compared to other countries. Now, where the USA does do exceptionally well is private social spending: but private social spending is basically private insurance. Needless to say, things like private employment insurance and private healthcare insurance is something more affluent people tend to have but the poor - who need support most - don't.

Attachments

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
China now also provides anal covid test.

Hope they don't mistakenly use the same cotton swab for a nasal test on someone else lmao.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
China now also provides anal covid test.

Hope they don't mistakenly use the same cotton swab for a nasal test on someone else lmao.
Swabbing someone with a swab you've just used on someone who might have covid is something best avoided regardless of what part of them you are doing it to, mind.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
£75 (~$100) is just the raw, basic free spend to do with as the individual wishes, although it has to cover many basics like food. There are a lot of other benefits available as needed. Although the UK is another low-welfare country, albeit not quite as bad as the US average.
They really make you work for that £75 mind. The UK benefits system is dire, and is very much geared to dissuading people from bothering/humiliating them enough they can't face it.

We had to apply for UC the other day, even though we knew we weren't eligible because we have too many savings, because if we didn't apply and get rejected, the UC we would have got if we were eligible would be deducted from my wife's redundancy payment. And it took ages, was extremely frustrating, deliberately demeaning, required signing up for three new accounts for separate government services, and involved days of 'please log on and respond to x'.

I did the process on my desktop with a frustrating number of different windows open. Trying to do it on a phone, which is how plenty of people access the internet, would have been a nightmare.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
They really make you work for that £75 mind. The UK benefits system is dire, and is very much geared to dissuading people from bothering/humiliating them enough they can't face it.

We had to apply for UC the other day, even though we knew we weren't eligible because we have too many savings, because if we didn't apply and get rejected, the UC we would have got if we were eligible would be deducted from my wife's redundancy payment. And it took ages, was extremely frustrating, deliberately demeaning, required signing up for three new accounts for separate government services, and involved days of 'please log on and respond to x'.

I did the process on my desktop with a frustrating number of different windows open. Trying to do it on a phone, which is how plenty of people access the internet, would have been a nightmare.
Pretty much. I was on the dole for a few months in 2016. The paperwork was complex and annoying, and I would argue likely to pose a significant barrier to a lot of people. On the other hand, when done and I went for my first meeting, they took one look at my qualifications and job history and basically handed over my money and left me to it with no questions asked. I'm all too aware that if I had a less distinguished-looking profile, things would have been very different.

This what happens when the red tops scream constant fury at the tiny dribble of money that the desperate get from the system. Punitive, stigmatising, demoralising for the honestly unemployed, and to very little prevention of real fraud.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
We had to apply for UC the other day, even though we knew we weren't eligible because we have too many savings, because if we didn't apply and get rejected, the UC we would have got if we were eligible would be deducted from my wife's redundancy payment.
Through the fucking looking glass.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Reactions: crimson5pheonix