2019-2020 coronavirus pandemic (Vaccination 2021 Edition)

Gethsemani

Hardcore Feminazi
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
Sweden
Doesn't that one have the same(although rare) side effect as the astra zeneca vaccin; combination of trombosis and thrombocytopenia(low platelet)? I'd take a slight fever or headache over paralysis or death. It would kind of suck when you have a negligent risk of complications from infection with the virus and then die from an auto immune response to the vaccine. Pfizer and moderna seem safest so far.
Even if you're low risk with Covid-19 your risk of dying is about 1 in 4,000-5,000 (higher if you get the Brazilian or English strain). So far the trombosis side effect of the AZ and J&J vaccine is estimated between 10,000-100,000 with most estimates being about 1 in 50,000 or lower. Dying from a vaccine sucks, but taking the vaccine is much, much safer then contracting Covid is.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2020
Even if you're low risk with Covid-19 your risk of dying is about 1 in 4,000-5,000 (higher if you get the Brazilian or English strain). So far the trombosis side effect of the AZ and J&J vaccine is estimated between 10,000-100,000 with most estimates being about 1 in 50,000 or lower. Dying from a vaccine sucks, but taking the vaccine is much, much safer then contracting Covid is.
When you give a vaccine to a healthy person who is very unlikely to get very sick from a covid infection then I don't think the risk of a potentially lethal side effect is acceptable when there are alternatives on the market that don't have that side effect.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020

Probably not a big deal considering how exceedingly rare the issue was (and even then it doesn't sound like they know it was J&J for sure or if it was J&J if this was just a case of extreme bad luck where it only happens in a handful of very specific cases) but they may halt the J&J shots for the time being and just what we need for the anti-vaxxing dum dums to scream about how they were right all along so no one should ever get vaccines for anything...

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020

Probably not a big deal considering how exceedingly rare the issue was (and even then it doesn't sound like they know it was J&J for sure or if it was J&J if this was just a case of extreme bad luck where it only happens in a handful of very specific cases) but they may halt the J&J shots for the time being and just what we need for the anti-vaxxing dum dums to scream about how they were right all along so no one should ever get vaccines for anything...
At least it’s being reported and not swept under the rug, like the CDC seems to be attempting.

Wonder what they’ll say now. Look, I’m all for vaccines that have been thoroughly tested, but these COVID varieties clearly haven’t had the chance for that to happen yet, and this whole issue has unfortunately been mired in political bs which always makes things worse.

Reactions: tippy2k2

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Apr 29, 2020
At least it’s being reported and not swept under the rug, like the CDC seems to be attempting.

Wonder what they’ll say now. Look, I’m all for vaccines that have been thoroughly tested, but these COVID varieties clearly haven’t had the chance for that to happen yet, and this whole issue has unfortunately been mired in political bs which always makes things worse.
The CDC's intent is most likely to acquire herd immunity at the quickest possible opportunity so a 1 in 50-100k casualty rate is most likely acceptable to them. But looking at it objectively you give these adenovirus vaccines to someone who is healthy with very low risk of complications from a covid infection. So the criteria of 'rare side effect' shouldn't be the same as, say, a medication for a serious illness. Espescially not when those Mrna vaccines don't have that side effect in people(espescially women) under 60.

Though I could understand when they continue AZ/JJ vaccines for people under 60 who are at risk of complications from covid(obese, diabetic, high blood pressure, asthmatic etc) when alternatives aren't available and time is of the essence.