Well,

Black Mesa
Doom Eternal
Cyberpunk 2077
XIII remake
Halo Infinite
Crysis Remastered
System shock remake

Infact we just got masterpieces like Black Mesa and Doom Eternal.

Its all 2004 over again as we have seen masterpieces like Doom 3, Half life 2 and Riddick EFBB.

what do you think? lets discuss

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Might want to wait for the year to be out. Also, of that list, System Shock's been postponed, and if you've got any faith in Halo Infinite, then, well, you have more faith than me.

Doom Eternal was fun though.

As for years, don't really keep track of media in that sense. I loved Doom 3, Half-Life 2 was okay, didn't play Riddick, and while I liked Halo 2 (also released in 2004), it's actually one of the weaker games in the series for me.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Lets wait a few months. I predict Corona Virus is going to delay a bunch of games and I reckon it'd be smart to cancel preorders now while you still can actually collect the money!

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Phoenixmgs said:
Can't be that a great year if like half the list are remakes.
because remakes are essentially new games. they matter.

also added Crysis remastered on list too which is just announced.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
B-Cell said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Can't be that a great year if like half the list are remakes.
because remakes are essentially new games. they matter.

also added Crysis remastered on list too which is just announced.
Remakes aren't new games. 2018 did not become a better gaming year because the Shadow of the Colossus remake came out. Whenever RE4 remake comes out ain't going to be a better year for horror games, that's reserved for 2005.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I think we need to distinguish between remakes and remasters.

A remaster is where the game is reskinned - new graphics, maybe some quality of life improvements, etc. But functionally, it's the same game. The Crysis remaster is just that for instance - a remaster.

A remake is where the game is built into something new. The recent RE3 game is a remake because it's been created separately from the original RE3 game. Same with the RE1 and 2 remakes, while something like Code: Veronica X is a remaster of the original Code: Veronica.

In that sense, remakes are new games, while remasters aren't.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Though to be honest Doom Eternal(DE) might be enough to set this as the best year for shooters for quite some time. If every shooter copied DE for its movement they way they all copied Halo back in the day then I'd be very happy.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Fieldy409 said:
Though to be honest Doom Eternal(DE) might be enough to set this as the best year for shooters for quite some time. If every shooter copied DE for its movement they way they all copied Halo back in the day then I'd be very happy.
Or we could, y'know, just let games do their own thing.

I mean, I love the style of gameplay for Doom Eternal, but it's not going to fit something like Call of Duty, or even Halo itself.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Hawki said:
I think we need to distinguish between remakes and remasters.

A remaster is where the game is reskinned - new graphics, maybe some quality of life improvements, etc. But functionally, it's the same game. The Crysis remaster is just that for instance - a remaster.

A remake is where the game is built into something new. The recent RE3 game is a remake because it's been created separately from the original RE3 game. Same with the RE1 and 2 remakes, while something like Code: Veronica X is a remaster of the original Code: Veronica.

In that sense, remakes are new games, while remasters aren't.
It depends on the remake honestly. Sure, RE2/3 remakes updated the gameplay and the graphics. It's still hard to call them completely new experiences, I could go either way on that honestly. Shadow of the Colossus remake is just updated the graphics, same gameplay. What are you possibly going to do with RE4 except probably tweak it a bit? It already has better combat than the RE2/3 remakes.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Phoenixmgs said:
It depends on the remake honestly. Sure, RE2/3 remakes updated the gameplay and the graphics. It's still hard to call them completely new experiences, I could go either on that honestly.
Well is there a case where a remake "is" a completely new experience, by that definition?

What are you possibly going to do with RE4 except probably tweak it a bit? It already has better combat than the RE2/3 remakes.
Going back to the definition I used, RE4's already been remastered in the sense that it's had graphical upgrades, and Ada's campaign was added after the initial Gamecube release. A remake would be something along the lines of the RE1/2/3 remakes, where the game's overhauled.

A stupid idea IMO, but whatever.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Hawki said:
Phoenixmgs said:
It depends on the remake honestly. Sure, RE2/3 remakes updated the gameplay and the graphics. It's still hard to call them completely new experiences, I could go either on that honestly.
Well is there a case where a remake "is" a completely new experience, by that definition?

What are you possibly going to do with RE4 except probably tweak it a bit? It already has better combat than the RE2/3 remakes.
Going back to the definition I used, RE4's already been remastered in the sense that it's had graphical upgrades, and Ada's campaign was added after the initial Gamecube release. A remake would be something along the lines of the RE1/2/3 remakes, where the game's overhauled.

A stupid idea IMO, but whatever.
It's just kinda hard to remake something at have it feel like something completely new. I've never played OG RE2 myself, but it seems to me the remake updated the game to modern gameplay while keeping it's core intake. It was new to me as the whole police station area of having to do the puzzles/find keys/backtrack/whatnot was fresh for me. Whereas everyone else that played the original and played any RE4-like game, did it really feel like a new experience or a modernized RE2?

It seems like the FF7 Remake may end up being the most new experience of all the remakes. Brand new combat system along with a story that can in the next installments do really whatever it wants (for better or worse).

What are you going to overhaul RE4 into though? Just about every 3D game in the PS1 era was trying to figure out controls and mechanics and whatnot, and thus just about every game from that era feels really outdated. RE4 didn't have tank controls or static cameras, it invented what RE gameplay basically is. Outside of making 1st-person, what other way could you even overhaul it?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Phoenixmgs said:
Whereas everyone else that played the original and played any RE4-like game, did it really feel like a new experience or a modernized RE2?
Speaking personally? Bit of both. On one hand, RE2 certainly captures the essence of the original, and definitely improves on it (much better atmosphere, deadlier enemies, Mr. X constantly stalking you in the RPD rather than being scripted, etc.) On the other, the remake takes a number of liabilities. Some things are added, some things are cut, and it's not always to the game's benefit. Things go a step further for the RE3 remake, which diverts from the original even further.

RE4 didn't have tank controls or static cameras, it invented what RE gameplay basically is. Outside of making 1st-person, what other way could you even overhaul it?
There's numerous ways you could change RE4, though whether they'd be good changes are another matter. Such as:

-Alter/update the plot (make it tie in with the wider series more)

-Make Ashley less annoying/remove her hitbar

-Allow Leon to move and shoot at the same time

-Tone the game down, make it more survival-horror focused (or go full action ala RE6)

I'll reiterate though that I don't think RE4 needs a remake though, and that the RE remakes have so far been a case of diminishing returns. As in, if I was ranking the originals, it would go 3>2>1, while for the remakes, it would go 1>2>3. But again, don't need a RE4 remake.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Black Mesa > I mean, I was never all that hyped on the original branch, that said I haven't played it
Doom Eternal > Sure, good, great potentiallly (held back by a few key bits)
Cyberpunk 2077 > I assume this'll be as good an FPS as the Witcher was a 3rd person action game. Thats not very good for disambiguity's sake.
XIII remake > I didn't even know what a XIII was, so I had to look it up. That art style is just headache inducing. Also same old boring generic weapons.
Halo Infinite > Well I ain't buying an Xbox anytime soon. Also even the Halo fans don't seem keen on Halo anymore, which is kind of bad sign.
Crysis Remastered > The original is a solid 7/10 if I'm being generous. Nothing to be overexcited for.
System shock remake > Which one? The one I saw had the problem of being way too infatuated with the source material. And the source material was early experimental jank.