Hundreds of Thousands Grab Dead Rising 2 Prequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hundreds of Thousands Grab Dead Rising 2 Prequel

For shambling corpses intent on snacking on your gray matter, zombies are pretty darn popular - or at least killing them is.

More than 300,000 people have grabbed Dead Rising 2: Case Zero on Xbox Live Arcade in its first week. This number comes from the game's leaderboard, which ranks players according to the number of PP - the game's version of experience points - they have earned. The number of downloads, and the game's $5 price tag may have netted Capcom up to $1.5 million in revenue.

Case Zero is a prequel to Dead Rising 2's, and introduces main character Chuck Greene as well as the game's combo weapon system. Your progress in Case Zero can also be imported into the Dead Rising 2, giving you a boost at the start of the game.

Capcom takes demos pretty seriously; Devil May Cry 4 had a very solid, two-part demo, including a battle with one of the game's bosses, and the Resident Evil 5 demo had both online and split-screen co-op. But Case Zero is a little different, an amalgam of game demo, pre-order bonus and a small game in its own right. EA has talked about "Premium DLC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99334-EA-Considering-Paid-DLC-Before-Game-Release]" as a way to market games, but Capcom is one of the first to actually give it a try, and it seems to have been fairly successful.

Dead Rising 2 will be available on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 later this month.

Source: Gamerbytes [http://www.gamerbytes.com/2010/09/dead_rising_case_0_sees_over_3.php]

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
For 400 microsoft points you can't really complain. It was a solid good several hours of fun, for a low price tag. I'm surprised that the price tag wasn't bumped up to 800 by microsoft to be honest.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Premium DLC BEFORE release. I'll agree its a novel idea and its a good way to release a demo that is sans spoilers but still introduces the character and setting.

I like the Idea but I wont be partaking as I dont have that much interest in DeadRising as I havent played it yet!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It really is deserving of all its praise. You're getting about 1/10th of an actual game for about 1/20th of the price.

That's a pretty good deal, and it gives you a bonus come DR2. That makes the deal better.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The trail version of Case Zero was all I needed, personally.

Because they kept the fucking time system...

I can't enjoy zombie killing with any kind of timer breathing down my neck!

Still, good on Capcom. It's going to go on and sell even more, too!

Now they have no excuse not to localize Ace Attorney 2.

http://www.destructoid.com/ace-attorney-investigations-2-revealed-playable-at-tgs-183350.phtml

Because they just made a million bucks off of a demo.

Laughing Tumour

Sep 7, 2010
Sounds great and everything and im sure my 360 brethren are enjoying this but why isnt it on psn? I wants me some zombie killing god damnit

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Cassita said:
Let me guess: you're trapped with a handful of survivors spread throughout a large area and must fight for survival whilst awaiting rescue?

How DO they come up with this?

/waits for some originality
Actually, you're not so much "trapped" as you are "without transport". And even then, it's just a matter of finding the parts you need to repair a motorbike, so that you can make your escape before the military arrive and quarantine your infected daughter. There are survivors you can find and rescue, but your interaction with them doesn't go too far beyond gathering them together into one safe location, if you even decide to bother with them. You're not waiting for rescue, and rather than fighting for your survival, it's more like the zombies are simply an obstacle that can be cleared through liberal application of baseball bat.

What's threatening in Dead Rising is still not the zombies, y'see, so it's not much use trying to find zombie horror cliches in it. If you're going to try and act world-weary, you should probably check that you're complaining about right things, first.

Jul 22, 2009
Case zero was paid demos at their perfection.

Great content, low price tag, extra story and non-significant unlockables in DR2.

Perfection I say!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Cassita said:
For 400 microsoft points you can't really complain.
Agreed. Quite the opposite, in fact - I think this was a brilliant move, and I'd love to see more companies do something like this.

For people that don't know about the game, they can download the trial, play for a little while for free, and get as good a taste of the gameplay as they could from a demo of the 'real' game. Those that want a little more can pay $5 and get a really solid, if short, game and story arc. And the people that really like the game can buy the prequel and still have a totally different set of content to look forward to in the full game.

It's pretty much a win across the board, in my opinion.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Cassita said:
Let me guess: you're trapped with a handful of survivors spread throughout a large area and must fight for survival whilst awaiting rescue?

How DO they come up with this?

/waits for some originality
In dead for rising 1, you were all alone I think, and found out that there was an agency. The game had about 6 or 7 endings with very specific conditions. Almost all of them were bad ending except for 1.

I assume this one will be, unfortunately, no different. Someome just loved Dawn of the Dead way too much and had mind-gasm thinking of how to kill enemies in mall

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Break said:
What's threatening in Dead Rising is still not the zombies, y'see, so it's not much use trying to find zombie horror cliches in it.
After thinking about it, while playing Case Zero, Dead Rising has little in common with the survival horror genre typically associated with zombies and the like, and much more in common with old-school beat-em-ups like Final Fight.

Tons of enemies that are pushovers, except en masse. Weapons all over the place that wear out quickly. Sporadic, challenging bosses that have patterns to defeat. Replace the straight side-scrolling with a 3D world and some exploration, and layer the missions on top of it, and you have the gameplay of Dead Rising.

The zombies are just placeholder enemies for the setting - if they were generic thugs and your mission was to rescue the mayor's daughter, it would be the same game, and just as fun (though a little harder to justify the quantity of enemies).

I was thinking about it because I like Dead Rising, but I don't like survival horror games.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Ben Legend said:
For 400 microsoft points you can't really complain. It was a solid good several hours of fun, for a low price tag. I'm surprised that the price tag wasn't bumped up to 800 by microsoft to be honest.
Agreed completely. It was well worth the money for the price, hell it's better than most 800MS point DLC for games that I have liked.

Hell, I'd love it if more games did "taster" things such as this, as long as the effort was put in to it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am sure that the dead appreciate it knowing they are prime targets =D

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Virgil said:
]After thinking about it, while playing Case Zero, Dead Rising has little in common with the survival horror genre typically associated with zombies and the like, and much more in common with old-school beat-em-ups like Final Fight.

Tons of enemies that are pushovers, except en masse. Weapons all over the place that wear out quickly. Sporadic, challenging bosses that have patterns to defeat. Replace the straight side-scrolling with a 3D world and some exploration, and layer the missions on top of it, and you have the gameplay of Dead Rising.

The zombies are just placeholder enemies for the setting - if they were generic thugs and your mission was to rescue the mayor's daughter, it would be the same game, and just as fun (though a little harder to justify the quantity of enemies).

I was thinking about it because I like Dead Rising, but I don't like survival horror games.
I believe you might be on to something there. But the survival horror aspect is still there, and I find it better implemented than most other games. Instead of relying on jump scares and fast zombies, you have the time limit looming over you. On its own it's not so bad, but when you couple it with hordes of zombies... then you can get a truly terrifying game. I remember in the first one: I was in the safe house and I needed healing. There is enough food not far away, in "Jill Sandwich" I think the place was called. But to get there I have to go through a horde of zombies. On top of that, I am low on time. Should I take my chances, and go straight to where I was suppose to be going, or shall I play it safe and get food first? If I do so, I might not have time to get there, something the zombies might assure happening. So it's more of the psychological aspect that is scary I think, how you have to plan every little thing and how you can die really easily because there are so many damn zombies.
I guess my point is that the time limit is the real "horror" enemy in the game, and it would be boring without it. Really looking forward to DR2, and I hope the time limit there makes it just as "pressing" as the first game was.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
so what does it mean if when i read Chuck Greene, i swear i saw Norris instead of Greene.

OT: if i were to play this without playing Dead Rising, would i be lost?

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I loved it, probably the best demo I have ever played and I made me transfer my pre-order from the normal edition on my PS3 over to the Deluxe edition on the 360