Pokemon Black & White Grab Rare Perfect Score from Famitsu

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon Black & White Grab Rare Perfect Score from Famitsu

The fifth generation of the Pokemon series is the first to grab a coveted 40/40 from Japanese game uber-mag Famitsu.

Long-term Poke-fans will know that while the Pokemon series (that is, the "main" handheld games, not counting spinoffs) tends to rely on a tried-and-true formula, there are always significant differences between the generations. Mechanics are added and refined, and the entire system gets some heavy overhauls.

none of the old standard 'mons [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99825-Pokemon-Black-White-Announced-for-the-DS]. The games would feature older protagonists, a female professor for the first time in the series' history, and were rumored to have a more involved storyline for once, too. Whereas Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh had all been based on regions in Japan, Pokemon Black & White's Isshu region is apparently the Pokemon world's equivalent of America.

It was an attempt to rekindle the wonder that many gamers felt back with Pokemon Red & Blue - before we realized that every single cave would be filled with goddamn Geodudes and Zubats.

It looks like the attempt has paid off: Major Japanese game magazine Famitsu awarded Pokemon Black & White Versions a coveted 40/40 score, meaning that four separate reviewers each gave it a 10/10. The reviewers praised the fresh approach to the series, enjoying the new graphics, features - and yes, even enjoying all the new Pokemon. I guess not everyone hates that silly-looking otter, huh?

Black & White are the first games in the series to receive this score. Most recently, Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver had earned a 37/40. Earlier, Platinum took a 36/40, Diamond & Pearl took 35/40, and the third-generation games Ruby & Sapphire were only awarded 33 points out of 40.

Only 14 other games have been awarded perfect marks by the magazine, from the legendary Zelda: Ocarina of Time to the more recent Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

I have to admit, I wasn't sold on Black & White when they were first announced, but everything I've heard about the new games just made me more intrigued - and this is a fantastic seal on the deal. Next spring can't come soon enough.

(Via Bulbagarden [http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Famitsu_gives_Black_and_White_perfect_score])

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Cool, I'm looking forward to these games and am glad their good
I know I might be a little too old to still be into Pokemon but I picked up SoulSilver out of nostalgia and so I would have a game that I could play with my little brother and loved it and I will be picking up Black or White when they come out and which ever one I get My brotehr will get the other.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Even though I was gonna get it anyway, I feel more confident because I didn't really like Diamond and Pearl. So this makes me hope that this will be a big improvement!

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
i havnt played a pokemon game since silver and gold. (friend got silver, i got gold) that was like.. 10 years ago? lol. after that it just got to the point where there was way to many pokemon. but if i was to play again, this would be the game i get.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I have nothing to say about this really
Just that it will be EPIC when it's out!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh wow...either standards are slipping or pokemon is enterign a whole new era...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think this is the first pokemon game Ive ever been kinda excited about, the first real one I played was platinum and it was more an impulse buy for a long trip and to finally see what all the fuss was about

Apr 28, 2008
John Funk said:
It was an attempt to rekindle the wonder that many gamers felt back with Pokemon Red & Blue - before we realized that every single cave would be filled with goddamn Geodudes and Zubats.

Anyway, sounds good. Wonder when they're out in the states. The more I've heard of these games the more I've wanted them. I must say, never thought I'd be this excited for a new Pokemon game.

This is gonna be fun.

Also, In before "new pokemon suck". [http://nerfnow.com/comic/302].

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Famitsu's reviews are no longer an indication of a good game. The may have only been 14 games that have been awarded 40/40 but most of the 14 have come out quite recently.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
You know what also got a perfect score from Famitsu? Nintendogs. Be careful not to set your expectations too high.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Didn't they also give it to Bayonetta?

-Zen- said:
You know what also got a perfect score from Famitsu? Nintendogs. Be careful not to set your expectations too high.
True, but Nintendogs did what it set out to do really well. I can't seen any rip-off come even remotely close to the quality of NDogs.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Who expected less from the Japanese? Any game that comes out from a company there is almost always rated high.

(No racism intended.)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
LeonLethality said:
No matter what they gave it, I was still getting it. It looks awesome.
Same here. No other game is as deep as Pokemon, and I love it for it.

Off-topic, nice avatar.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I'm curious: Will it be available on an original DS, or is it DSi/3DS only?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
LeonLethality said:

Off-topic, nice avatar.
Thanks, I can see you have a good taste in avatars yourself.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Heart of Darkness said:
LeonLethality said:

Off-topic, nice avatar.
Thanks, I can see you have a good taste in avatars yourself.
Thanks. Although I'm pretty disappointed in the amount of Karkat fanart around the Internet...

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
except that Famitsu magazine (like Nintendo Power, Xbox, and Playstation Magazine) is EXTREMELY biased and therefore can not be taken seriously (they give anything even REMOTELY mario-related perfect or near-perfect scores... EVERYTHING!)