Question of the Day, September 11, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, September 11, 2010

Shamus Young's latest column [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8098-Experienced-Points-Whats-Wrong-with-Xbox-Live] proposes a solution to the all-too-common problem of having to play with jerks on Xbox Live: Have people create and run their own Xbox Live servers. What do you think? Is it a good or bad idea?

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Yeah, they should be able to, because:
1. It keeps the jerks out of where YOU want to be.
2. You can set your own rules, guidelines and all the rest.
3. All your friends can join YOUR game, and not get lost looking for your game through a sea of servers that have names like yours.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uhh... wait. You mean to say that they can't do that the moment?

Wow.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
So basically like how PC gaming has been forever? Umm... I guess it could be good, I don't have a 360 or have ever played on Live, so don't really know or care much.

GahzlyGriffon

Feb 12, 2009
i love how 1 person(atm)voted no

but to me it a win win right?

microsoft get more money and have to pay less on banwidth and players get a better experience, but thats why we own pc`s right?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
It's a cool idea, but could there be a risk with too many servers? Also the reason why Microsoft wont give some content for free when they easily could is simple: THEY GET MORE MONEY.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
The problem with giving consoles dedicated servers like PC is if the servers can inject code into the consoles like they can on PC (maps and mods downloads them selves in quite a few games). Since you can't fix your console OS by yourself if you fuck it up I don't think this will ever take off. I've never heard of anything malicious ever happening but I'm sure it must have at some point.

I voted yes anyway because having moderated servers gives the best multiplayer environment.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Why not? PC gamers do it.

Also they'd be able to run mods, like making the characters and items look different, custom maps and sound packs.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
why should the xbox get the special treatment? I say PS3 should be able to as well.... hell it even makes more sense on the ps3.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
I think it would be fantastic to allow players to run their consoles as a server. It gives players more in control of the community.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
I would love to be able to host servers complete with special additions in them. I think back to special tf2 addons and I would love the ability to host a MW2 server with "Birthday" (headshots result in a smattering of balloons appearing from where the head once was) as an addon.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Yes, even just to stop people complaining about the relatively low price of X-Box Live.

Maybe people wouldn't be so quick to complain when they have to pay to use and maintain private servers for every game they want to play... of course you'd still get some people maintaining that private servers should be free (since they've already paid for the game and the internet), but it would be an interesting exercise...

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
Snowalker said:
why should the xbox get the special treatment? I say PS3 should be able to as well.... hell it even makes more sense on the ps3.
I think they singled out 360 because of the recent price increase. If this were to ever happen it would be a charge service, and most vocal PS3 owners are completely against paying for online.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I don't have an Xbox, but yes, they should.

Xbox owners don't know what they're missing.

Borntolose

Aug 18, 2008
Warrior Irme said:
Snowalker said:
I think they singled out 360 because of the recent price increase.
And because Shamus Young wrote an article about it.

OT: Why not? Player run servers for all!