New GoldenEye Unlikely to Hit Other Platforms

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New GoldenEye Unlikely to Hit Other Platforms

The remake of the beloved James Bond shooter is designed specifically with the Wii in mind, says Activision.

If you want to work your secret agent magic in the update of classic N64 shooter GoldenEye, it's probably best to invest in a Wii, if you haven't already. Julian Widdows, Activision's executive producer for the game, said that ports to other systems weren't impossible, but that wasn't the focus at the moment.

Widdows said that Activision and developer Eurocom had invested a lot of time and energy making a great shooter for the Wii, and that he hoped that anyone who wanted to play it would play it the way it was intended. "We've spent so much time and effort, personal time and effort," he said. "You know, kids have been born! There's a list of GoldenEye babies somewhere! This is the console we've made it for."

Widdows commented that you could "never say never" when it came to Xbox 360 or PS3 versions, but seemed to suggest that they weren't currently being planned. This would seem to pour at least a little cold water on comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103248-GoldenEye-007-Designer-Says-Remake-Motivated-By-] made by the original GoldenEye designer Martin Hollis, who said that Activision was just out to make a quick buck by cashing in on the GoldenEye name. If that was the case, restricting the game to the Wii - a console not known for its enormous hardcore fan base - wouldn't really be the best way of going about it.

GoldenEye comes out for the Wii in November.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/goldeneye_2010_unlikely_to_reach_ps3_or_360.html]

Vyce

Chaos Dragon
Mar 19, 2009
Heh. They're probably going to keep it Wii exclusive then. :/

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I said it last time this was mentioned and I'll say it again. There's a fully implemented and complete Source mod called Goldeneye: Source for the PC, and it's free. So this doesn't really bother me at all.

[a href=http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source]Link[/a]

CpnBeef

May 19, 2008
I was just slightly too young and missed Goldeneye the first time and played it a few years back. Because of that i don't have the same misty eyed memories that some people tend to.

But still, isn't this just a game and it's highly likley that being and update of the N64 game it'll feel dated control wise and if not the Wii will make sure whatever magic was there will be flailed out of it. I can see why people would want this remake done and yeah, i'd like to see it be on more platforms and not exclusive but to me it's an old game and i'll get along fie without it.

nelsonr100

Apr 15, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
I'm confused. Wasn't Goldeneye made by Rare, who are now owned by Microsoft?
I think that EA aquired the rights and released a load of pretty bad 007 games, the best of which was probably nightfire which I actually quite liked. They then decided they could never make a good bond game so sold the rights to Activision. Activision then hired Eurocom to make the new goldeneye!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Julian Widdows said:
"We've spent so much time and effort, personal time and effort. You know, kids have been born! There's a list of GoldenEye babies somewhere! This is the console we've made it for."
SO... personal time and effort, as opposed to just time and effort, and then mention of babies...

GASP! They were having sex to up the Wii's sales further in order to get the game purchased and make up for the lack of PS3 and 360 sales! THose crafty bastards! Babies that age to 18 within months! EEEEVVVVVIIIILLLLL

On a serious note, I'm kinda saddened by this. Having a 360 and a PS3 and yet you can't re-play on the the greatest games you grew up with as a kind. This was my favourite shooter ever, and it's been taken away form me.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
I'm confused. Wasn't Goldeneye made by Rare, who are now owned by Microsoft?
Basically, Rare made the game but Nintendo published it. It could be a case that Nintendo held the copyright for the levels (hence the rename of Faculty in Perfect Dark) and presumably have given permission Activision to remake it on the condition that it's a Wii exclusive (which is the same reason given as to why the much rumoured Rare remake for the 360 and Wii was aborted).

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I suppose that means they want to fine tune the game to the Wii hardware as much as possible. I hope that's the case. I'd rather the Metroid Prime games not be the only good Wii shooters.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
My guess is they'll release it on something else when it doesn't sell on the Wii.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh joy...well, still I hope it will hold out with others too

WakeTheDead1

Jan 27, 2010
they shouldnt update classics so much, if the Roman colosseum was updated every 10 years itd be another shitty commercial arena

i borrowed that off south park but it still rings true