Rumor: Japanese Security Dashed Steve Jobs' Ninja Hopes

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Japanese Security Dashed Steve Jobs' Ninja Hopes

According to rumor, Japan has earned the wrath of Apple boss Steve Jobs after airport security prevented him from taking ninja throwing stars on board his private jet.

There's an absurd - and yet hilarious - story that has been making the rounds today. According to SPA! Magazine, Apple chieftain CEO has claimed that he would never again visit the country of Japan, reports Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-14/steve-jobs-stopped-at-japan-airport-over-ninja-stars-spa-says.html]. What could have been the cause of this new-found enmity? A row with Japanese airport security over ninja throwing stars (or shuriken) found in the businessman's luggage, reportedly.

According to the Japanese magazine, a security scan at Kansai International Airport near Osaka discovered the weapons in Jobs' carry-on luggage as he was preparing to leave the country after a family vacation back in July. While weapons being brought onto a passenger plane are a no-no, the issue was supposedly complicated by the fact that Jobs was flying using his own private jet - and argued with airport officials that it made no sense for him to try and hijack his own plane. Still, the officials persisted, and Jobs eventually gave in - before telling them that he would never return to the country.

Bloomberg confirmed with an official at Kansai International that a passenger using a private jet had indeed been prevented from boarding their plane by security at the end of July for carrying shuriken. The spokesman explained that the airport did not have separate boarding policies for individuals using private planes, though he declined to give the name of the individual in question because of the airport's privacy policies.

However, though somebody had run afoul of Japanese security at Kansai International Airport, Apple maintains that it wasn't Mr. Jobs. "Steve did visit Japan this summer for a vacation in Kyoto, but the incidents described at the airport are pure fiction," Apple spokesman Steve Dowling told Bloomberg. "Steve had a great time and hopes to visit Japan again soon."

The story may be true and it may be a fabrication. In a way, though, I hope it does turn out to be the real deal - if only because the idea that Steve Jobs secretly wants to be a ninja strikes me as being especially amusing.

(Via Gearlog [http://www.gearlog.com/2010/09/report_steve_jobs_caught_tryin.php])

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow.
I hope this is true.
Though really, its an Airport.
Who in their right mind would bring ANYTHING that could be considered a weapon there?

And nice Shoop there guys.
I can see it has the potential for many applications.

EDIT:paint?
Nice.
You have great skill.
:3

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
What do you mean wants to be a ninja?

Steve Jobs is already a Ninja, why do you think he's always dressed in black?

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
John Funk said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Nice photoshop, guys.
Photoshop? Oh hell no. I had to do that in Paint on this computer.
Impressive. The best part is, the awkward way he's holding it can be chalked up to his inexperience with the weapon.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
mmm...

so, if i go to japan i cant bring back shurikens and swords??

then WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE GO TO JAPAN!?!?

they are killing halve the value of those trips with this policy

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
I would be pissed if somebody prevented my ninja-ness from going full out. Especailly in japan.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
So the iPhone doesn't have an 'app' for bypassing airport security for the mean of smuggling traditional Japanese weaponry? Another reason not to buy one.

johnsom

May 28, 2009
I always thought those black turtle necks looked suspicious. Frankly, I am a little surprised he didn't whip off those blue jeans and go full ninja right there in the airport.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
No matter if it's his private jet or not, he souldn't be allowed to bring weapons on a airplane, and since it's appearantly in the airports policy too he shouldn't even struggle.
Besides, he got enough money, so money wasted on shuriken he can't bring with him is no biggie.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jobs does think of himself as being above the Law. It wouldn't surprise me if he slapped Japan with some sort of Apple embargo.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Just sounds like a collosally stupid thing to do to take weapons to airport let alone a plane. Steve Jobs throwing a hissy and saying you'll never see me again sound almost plausible.