Pokemon Gets Gritty in Live Action Pokemon Apokelypse

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pokemon Gets Gritty in Live Action Pokemon Apokelypse

If the Pokemon story was way more serious, it'd happen just like it does in this live action movie trailer.

In the real world, Pokemon don't exist, but if they did you can bet they'd be taken advantage of and become part of an underground bloodsport. That's the premise of an amazing live action trailer for a Pokemon film called Pokemon Apokelypse that doesn't exist, but really should.

The trailer is fan made and took around a year-and-a-half to create. It shows what would happen in a more realistic setting if all the Pokemon gyms were to shut down and Pokemon trainers were forced underground.

This would of course attract shady individuals trying to fix matches in their favor that also employ Team Rocket henchmen. This Team Rocket seems brutally more capable than their "blasting off again" anime counterparts and wield semi-automatic weaponry. Yet the most disturbing part of the trailer isn't the shattered Squirtle shells, Pikachu maiming, or torture of Professor Oak, but the five-o-clock shadow that Ash is seen sporting.

Pokemon Apokelypse was only a side project by a group working on a short film. Sadly, the team doesn't seem to be planning anything else set in the Pokemon universe.

Why can't anything this cool ever come through official channels? I mean, aside from the fact that it's totally contrary to Nintendo's shiny, happy world of Pokemon where getting "X-ed" out eyes is the closest anything comes to death.

Thanks for the tip, WrongSprite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/WrongSprite]!

Source: ShogunGamer [http://shogungamer.com/news/live-action-pokemon-movie-full-hd-trailer-and-interview-its-creators]

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
And to think that The Escapist could have had a series like this but somehow was left with a good knight's quest. The only think I don't like about the video is that some of the pokémon look a little strange, even by pokémon standards.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Very nice, although I wonder whether Pikachu is deliberately strange-looking to throw off the copyright hunters or if they just drew him badly.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Half of me is shocked and offended, the other half is like "omg well done".

B class acting aside (as I think thats what it was going for =p) the special effects were awesome.

Just be careful though, I can see Nintendo just saying LOL NO and taking this off YouTube for "copyright infringement", like they did to Serebii and PokeBeach

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
As an avid Pokemon fan, I find this trailer to be hilarious.

But who said Pokemon is all happiness and rainbows? Sure, on the surface it is to keep a light hearted feel, but it definitely isn't childish.

A good amount of Pokemon are stated to actively hunt people's souls, for example.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
hey, that was actually pretty good, a bit cheesy in some places, but still pretty good.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Man, that's one tired looking Pikachu.

Also, guns for Team rocket is nothing new.

Admittedly censored by 4Kids but you get the point.

Otherwise, a nice funny take on Hollywood. Hope Nintendo don't take this down.

Calumon: I hope I don't turn out like this... :S

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
It's weird, my brother and I have been talking about what a live-action gritty Pokemon film would be like for a long time. Some of the creatures do look a little odd but I think if copyright hunters could find this based on the title, then the animations within the video wouldn't set off any red flags either.

Sidebar: This looks way better than the atrocious Megaman live action film I saw recently.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
You know, that's exactly what I always imagined the trips to the Pokécenter to be like:

Trainer comes in, releases a bunch of half-dead pokemon from the pokeballs and looks at the floor in shame. The nurse is horrified and gives him a "What-the-Hell-have-you-done"-look. And then she tells the police and your carreer is over.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
O yeah. I would watch that. It is like my childhood died and from the ashes it became more gritty and realistic!

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I'm not normally a fan of taking something that's made for kids and making it grimdark/mature/super srs just for the hell of it, but that was really well done. If the protagonists of Pokemon ever grew into post-adolescence, it seems pretty likely that this is exactly how everything would go down. I'd watch the heck out of this movie.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
Wow, that was pretty cool. I would pay to see a full length feature (with maybe a bit better done pokemon)

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Best moments: Seeing Meowth with an assault rifle
Seeing Gary Oak's comment on the news banner - "You can't ignore my girth"

I'm not sure about it working as a movie, but as a series on the escapist, kind of like There Will Be Brawl? It would be moderately epic.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hey, that looks pretty cool. I'd go see it.

Wait, was that Mewtwo forcing suicide using telepathy? Damn.

And the use of a Magnemite as an instrument of torture? Woah.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Man, that's one tired looking Pikachu.

Also, guns for Team rocket is nothing new.

Admittedly censored by 4Kids but you get the point.

Otherwise, a nice funny take on Hollywood. Hope Nintendo don't take this down.

Calumon: I hope I don't turn out like this... :S
You just killed the James i once knew...

And you won't Calumon! Jack Loves you!

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Freaking awesome.
With just the right amount of references to the real thing, whilest still being moderately believable in real life.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I watched this yesterday, and I have to say that I almost cried seeing Pikachu so bruised up and bleeding, I couldn't help but to feel really bad about him... and Meowth shooting an assault rifle was simply priceless.