Pokemon Gets Gritty in Live Action Pokemon Apokelypse

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
I don't smoke, but I'd take it up if I had a Charizard cigarette lighter.

Voltorb as a car-bomb and Mewtwo making someone shoot themselves were wonderful as well.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I really love how they used some Pokemon quotes out of their original context, like "I choose you.", "Catch him!" and "Prepare for trouble. And Make it double.".

Definitely cool trailer, as some others have said, this would be pretty entertaining as a miniseries not entirely unlike 'There Will be Brawl'.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
This has just made my night. I often thought about a live action pokemon film as a teenager and as I've grown up wondered about a more 'realistic' take on it. Incredibly good work.

How many hours before Nintendo but the [ul]BANHAMMER[/ul] on it then? I smell a cease and desist on creativity about 5 minutes away.....

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe some day The Escapist will approach the makers of some of these short clips to actually produce a full version in episodes as the next "There will be Brawl" or "Doomsday Arcade". :)

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Pikachu getting choked out almost made me cry . . .

Wow, that was awesome. I would have been very interested in seeing that. Even the ending montage was really well done. Gave me chills.

I must say, my favorite part was the bad-fellow lighting his cigar with his charizard's flamethrower. That's badass.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
heh, at first i though "oh god, nintendo please no!!! dont let this exist!!!" but now im almost wishing it did! it looks awesome! i especially like the suave new Team Rocket

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
Felt a wild urge to start rifling through my desk in search of my copy of Pokemon Emerald... before I remembered the games weren't quite as awesome. :( They were great bus or plane ride gaming through.

Easily the best for me was Mew Two's scene with the woman and the gun.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
That was awesome. The weird looking graphics were kind of out of place with the dark theme, but I still really enjoyed it.

And Pikachu definitely looked half-starved. Ash should treat him better. :(

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
I love the Jessie and James. Quite cool. I'd watch that as a mini series.
I think the pikachu might look kinda weird 'cause it's supposed to be scraggly and beaten up, and we're used to seeing fat happy pikachu.
Except that bit in the first film. That was sad.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I still say its fake due to:
A. Shitty animation
B. Only 1st generation pokemon

EDIT: Oh thank god its fake!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Space Spoons said:
I'm not normally a fan of taking something that's made for kids and making it grimdark/mature/super srs just for the hell of it, but that was really well done. If the protagonists of Pokemon ever grew into post-adolescence, it seems pretty likely that this is exactly how everything would go down. I'd watch the heck out of this movie.
...Did you read the Manga?

It was worsed. Pokemon was killed, and guns were used.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
Space Spoons said:
I'm not normally a fan of taking something that's made for kids and making it grimdark/mature/super srs just for the hell of it, but that was really well done. If the protagonists of Pokemon ever grew into post-adolescence, it seems pretty likely that this is exactly how everything would go down. I'd watch the heck out of this movie.
...Did you read the Manga?

It was worsed. Pokemon was killed, and guns were used.
Is it still mature in this generation?.....I might start reading it then.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Now, had this been done by the Japanese, it would go as follows:

Ash and party travel toward a super-ultra-awesome tournament outside of continuity. They meet a new friend(s). They get swallowed up by some uber-rare Pokemon who's off it's meds or just plain emo. The power of love and friendship saves the day, and they move on as if nothing happened. Throw in Team Rocket for "comedic" padding.

Back on topic: Did anyone notice the vine clipping into Pikachu? Other than that, the special effects are pretty good. And having Ash actually care about something that isn't just a Pokemon battle or tournament is always a plus in my book.

Dimbo_Sama

Mar 20, 2009
Yeah, it's pretty cool. But an actual film of it? I would probably vomit. Seriously doesn't anyone remember Super Mario Brothers?