Treyarch: We Never Wavered on Dedicated Servers for Black Ops

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Treyarch: We Never Wavered on Dedicated Servers for Black Ops

The studio cooking up the next Call of Duty says that it's happy it can support the PC community.

Treyarch's head of PC development, Cesar Stastny, said that the inclusion of dedicated servers in Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286873459&sr=8-1] wasn't something that the studio spent a lot of time deliberating over. He said that Treyarch was a PC developer making a PC game, so including dedicated servers wasn't a choice, it was just the way things were.

It would be easy to think that Treyarch had included dedicated servers because of the backlash faced by Infinity Ward when it left them out of Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286873485&sr=1-1], but Stastny said that even while Treyarch was making its previous game, Call of Duty: World at War [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-World-War-Xbox-360/dp/B001AWIP68/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286873532&sr=1-1], it had been decided that dedicated servers would be a feature in any subsequent games as well.

Stastny said that the PC platform was very important to Treyarch, which is why it put together dedicated PC teams for its games. He said that Black Ops was a "true PC title" and that he was "thrilled" to be able to support the PC community with things like dedicated servers and mod tools.

Call of Duty: Black Ops will be released for PS3, Xbox 360 and, of course, PC, on November 9th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=269033]

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Hmm. This is actually changing my opinion of the game. I originally wasn't going to buy because I don't need another COD. But we'll see what happens.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Well Treyarch are smarter than Infinity Ward... having a PC game without dedicated servers is like having a Console game without controller support... it just cripples the experience...

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
*sniff* They really DO care. I Love you Treyarch!

Infinity Ward, I thought It was going to work out, but I guess Cod4 was a one time event. Its not me, it's you I'm sorry, I'm leaving you for Treyarch now. But i guess, We will always have the Cargo Ship.
So long Infinity Ward, you had some good set pieces.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well bully for them. I'm glad at least one developer loves the PC gaming community.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
vrbtny said:
Well bully for them. I'm glad at least one developer loves the PC gaming community.
I don't think that has much to do with love, as it has with money.
PC is the only market they could potentially significantly expand upon.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
VanBasten said:
vrbtny said:
I don't think that has much to do with love, as it has with money.
PC is the only market they could potentially significantly expand upon.
Probably in relation to Battle.net. Mark my words, I'll be very surprised if no CoD games released on PC by the end of 2011 use Battle.net in some form.

While Treyarch has been making the right noises (i.e. dedicated servers and modding tools), the small fact that that said dedicated servers are only available from one single provider does question their motives. I mean, even EA got three providers involved for some resemblance of competition. Plus, I really can't see multiplayer mods working if there's no dedicated server software.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Good to see at least Treyarch haven't gone stark raving mad. I can only hope they truly mean what they say and aren't just saying it to be on the goodside of PC gamers.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Oh please. Call of Duty has stopped being relevant to the industry about the time Battlefield 2 was released. Honestly, why do people buy that game? It's a mediocre shooter with absolutely nothing going for it. I will not be getting Black Ops nor will I be getting any future Call of Duty release.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Sacman said:
Well Treyarch are smarter than Infinity Ward... having a PC game without dedicated servers is like having a Console game without controller support... it just cripples the experience...
Could you explain what dedicated servers are? I never firgured it out, since 85% of my gaming in on consoles and handhelds.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Oh please. Call of Duty has stopped being relevant to the industry about the time Battlefield 2 was released.
Since BF2 was released CoD has shoveled out a best selling game every year consistently for five years running, each breaking sales record of the previous games in the series, and looks like it will continue to do so for a sixth year with Black Ops.

How the hell is that not relevant to the industry?

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
In reality they didn't care either way and are trying to make them selves out to be the wonder boys...Still doesn't change the fact all Treyarch has ever really made was Reskinned COD games with vastly more problems when the games they were based upon.
WAW had far more problems then MW1 glitches in maps, hacks, and such...Black ops will be the same way it will have more and be worse then MW2.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
VanBasten said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Oh please. Call of Duty has stopped being relevant to the industry about the time Battlefield 2 was released.
Since BF2 was released CoD has shoveled out a best selling game every year consistently for five years running, each breaking sales record of the previous games in the series, and looks like it will continue to do so for a sixth year with Black Ops.

Because it does not innovate, that's why. It's stagnating the industry which in turn is destroying it. We've been playing the same goddamn game each year and each year the developer, or rather the publisher, has taken the liberty of slowly removing content and raising prices. Hell, by the next Call of Duty you're probably going to see subscription modes.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Sacman said:
Could you explain what dedicated servers are? I never firgured it out, since 85% of my gaming in on consoles and handhelds.
Basically when you play a game on a dedicated server the server runs the game, and thats it, no one else is playing through that server or anything, this cuts down on lag and keeps things fairly even.

I can't remember what the other type is that COD4:MW2 uses but that actually selects one of the players to act as the host, the host usually has vastly reduced/no lag creating an unfair advantage, when that person quits the game either kicks you or tries to transfer data over to a new player to act as host, fails and kicks you anyway.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
VanBasten said:
AndyFromMonday said:

Because it does not innovate, that's why. It's stagnating the industry which in turn is destroying it. We've been playing the same goddamn game each year and each year the developer, or rather the publisher, has taken the liberty of slowly removing content and raising prices. Hell, by the next Call of Duty you're probably going to see subscription modes.
I agree with everything you said, but I think your choice of words in your original post is what caused the problem - "relevance" does not necessarily mean the game in question is beneficial to the industry. As you so eloquently pointed out, Call of Duty is more or less a plague for gaming in a variety of ways.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
VanBasten said:
AndyFromMonday said:

What you're describing is how it may hurt the gaming community, not the industry, the industry is really doing quite well with CoD.