Name Game: #12

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010

Seriously, ever since Steam for Mac hit, there's been a slow, but steady, upswing in the number of Mac games. Probably won't be long before the floodgates open.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
HEY! Gaming isn't that bad on the mac. At least the mac has.....I mean it can.....if you........I got nothing. ;_;

This comic earned a laugh from me followed by an intense feeling of technological worthlessness towards my glorified stereo mac.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
3nimac said:
I Wish i knew what that meant.
Snow Leopard is basically the Mac equivalent of Windows 7. If she doesn't have it, it means she needs to go buy a new OS (which I don't think works too well on Macbooks. That's why I have a hackintosh).

Jamie_Montrose

Aug 31, 2009
If you want to play games on a mac, just install a Windows partition. It's painless (except for the fact that you have to deal with Windows), and you can play whatever you want.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jamie_Montrose said:
If you want to play games on a mac, just install a Windows partition. It's painless (except for the fact that you have to deal with Windows), and you can play whatever you want.
Or just use a Windows PC and be able to upgrade to meet system requirements.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
I recently had to install Snow Leapord to play the new Source games and was annoyed as hell about the fact that I was paying 30 more dollars to get a game I thought I was buying on sale. This comic should hit me exactly where I itch. Except it didn't. It had no effect.
Why? Really bad timing.

To quote Yahtzee (The reason this website exists): Good visual art is succinct and punchy. A good comic works on maximizing a small amount of words and actions to create a distinct moment of punchiness.

The text balloons in the first panel are way too long for a comic strip, it starts things off with a weirdly front-heavy pace for what is a really small amount of set-up (That a mac user is defending her computer)

Still, that's not the worst, worse is the next two panels, both of which could easily be cut...again, slow pacing meaning too much lead-up to the joke.

Then, it spends essentially four panels establishing one sentence of information. Again, it loses all the punch of the information by establishing it really slowly.

Then, the last two panels, Her angry expression is unnecessary, all it does is telegraph the upcoming joke and weaken its impact, the fact that she's hurling it out the window screaming angrily conveys all the information that frame 8 did.

It's a shame, since the joke is at its heart actually pretty good: Mac users defend our hip, user-friendly computers against the PC elitists but are, privately, tormented by their inability to play games. But that joke just takes too long getting there. Jokes are like meteors, too much atmosphere and they won't make any impact.

How could this comic be better? Well, without rewriting it, if you just cut it down to frame 1, frame 6, and frame 9, it would have had all the same information and been a lot snappier.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
This (however funny a comic, especially the last expression) just pisses me off. I couldn't care less about mac, what about linux?? Come on! Ubuntu is such a great operating system with only one "weak point", which isn't even it's fault, the support, especially game support.
It's just retarded that the practically best AND cheapest operating system has worse support.
Anyways, 'twas a funny comic.

HarmanSmith

Aug 12, 2009
It might just be me, but I've been running into all kinds of problems with Steam on my Mac. My hardware is up to date, but I keep hitting errors that won't let me play my games. I've reinstalled Half-Life 2 three times and reinstalled Steam once, but keep getting the same damn messages. I'm getting really tired of playing Route Kanal and Water Hazard over and over again.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
ArmorArmadillo said:
I recently had to install Snow Leapord to play the new Source games and was annoyed as hell about the fact that I was paying 30 more dollars to get a game I thought I was buying on sale. This comic should hit me exactly where I itch. Except it didn't. It had no effect.
Why? Really bad timing.

To quote Yahtzee (The reason this website exists): Good visual art is succinct and punchy. A good comic works on maximizing a small amount of words and actions to create a distinct moment of punchiness.

The text balloons in the first panel are way too long for a comic strip, it starts things off with a weirdly front-heavy pace for what is a really small amount of set-up (That a mac user is defending her computer)

Still, that's not the worst, worse is the next two panels, both of which could easily be cut...again, slow pacing meaning too much lead-up to the joke.

Then, it spends essentially four panels establishing one sentence of information. Again, it loses all the punch of the information by establishing it really slowly.

Then, the last two panels, Her angry expression is unnecessary, all it does is telegraph the upcoming joke and weaken its impact, the fact that she's hurling it out the window screaming angrily conveys all the information that frame 8 did.

It's a shame, since the joke is at its heart actually pretty good: Mac users defend our hip, user-friendly computers against the PC elitists but are, privately, tormented by their inability to play games. But that joke just takes too long getting there. Jokes are like meteors, too much atmosphere and they won't make any impact.

How could this comic be better? Well, without rewriting it, if you just cut it down to frame 1, frame 6, and frame 9, it would have had all the same information and been a lot snappier.
Not really. The way the set up is now is just fine. What Yahtzee was talking about it Wall-o-text'ing the entire comic, like CAD and Something Positive like to do. One panel isn't that bad, especially when the dialogue is pretty much vacant everywhere else. Besides the whole joke here was that there's no reason for her not to get mad, leading to the raeg face and then the complete turn around reaction (which you don't combine together or it ruins the appeal of both), so your suggested edits would remove a lot of the entire joke. The frame 6 one I might agree with, but then layout would be shitty, and you'd lose a bit of the beat/zoom-in panel. Going back to the 8-9 panel arguement, you have to remember that a lot of this comic is the human element, just from looking at how previous comics are set up. Removing the angry face would kill the whole reaction in addition to that human element, while removing her throwing it out the window would feel a bit like the joke was killed too early.