Review: Vanquish

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Vanquish

If Marcus Fenix and Dante had a love child, that'd be kind of weird. It'd also be Vanquish.

Read Full Article

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Now, here's the thing. I know that the game has it's flaws; the storyline's silly and to be honest, many of the bosses didn't need a one hit kill attack. But I don't really see the huge deal with the overheating thing. When you go automatically go into bullet-time because things are too hot, you're supposed to take the opportunity to get yourself into a position where you'll be protected from attack while your health and heat bar regenerate; not where you should still be in the line of fire while you're waiting.

I'd also like to bring up that, while the game's campaign is short, it's got high scores and leaderboards; it's not a game that you're going to master the first, or even the second time through. That replay value certainly works in the game's favor. Whether or not the concept of playing a game multiple times for gradual improvement is just as compelling a goal as beating it is up to the player, but if they fall into that niche, I think Vanquish will be a blast for them. It was for me, anyway.

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
If this is meant to be a commentary on western-made games, they seem to do a good job of it. I mean, they even made Russians the bad guys. If that's not typical of an FPS trying to seem realistic these days, I don't know what is.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
jericu said:
If this is meant to be a commentary on western-made games, they seem to do a good job of it. I mean, they even made Russians the bad guys. If that's not typical of an FPS trying to seem realistic these days, I don't know what is.
The much smaller but faster and wiry man has to comes along because the giant marine, with biceps bigger than Sam's head and a even larger gun, needs the help. If that's not some kind of commentary I don't know what is.

Infernoshadow211

Nov 18, 2009
Personally, I think the automatic bullet time when your health's low is an indication of "you shouldn't get hit in the first place".

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I bought this game last weekend and I am in love with it. Its absolutely fantastic. Its got insane replay value too which makes up for its short length.

My only complaint is that I feel most of the guns suck compared to the assault rifle and heavy machine gun. Sniper rifles are fine. Rocket launchers are fine when the situation calls for it. Thing like the LFE and Saw gun however feel kind of weak.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
All this destruction on a space colony? Explosive decompression anyone?

Also, I wonder if ARS was intentionally used as a homonym for arse here? Sadly, I think that kind of linguistic expertise is beyond most Japanese developers.

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
I'm actually thinking about renting this at the least just to see what it's like now. I loved Gears of War and Viewtiful Joe was really fun to play, so a hybrid seems pretty cool. Good review!

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Looks very neat, but TF2 spy can light a cigarette in the middle of the combat.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Hell, if I can take the frustration of Kaizo Mario World [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYlpBaL6T4], I can probably take this. Sounds like my kind of game!

Also: lol arse!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I played the demo and the controls where just to clunky, I didn't feel like I could "pulse" the slide move to quickly and precisely move cover to cover, that and no jump drove me nuts. I wanted to vault over cover without doing that stupid enter cover bit beforehand. But that was the demo maybe the game is different.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Game is fun, mostly. I pre-ordered and let me tell you, the pre-order bonuses aren't a small issue. They are a huge freaking deal. All three of them are more fun than any gun you can find in the game normally. They are also significantly more powerful.

The main problem with the game is that your weapon upgrades don't carry into a new game. You don't even keep your upgrades if you use mission select. So once you beat the game, all your weapons are back to zero. I got emotionally attached to my weapon upgrades, and it really hurt.

This game isn't very difficult (but then again I had the pre-order bonuses, and they were awesome ) but not being able to keep my upgrades- even when I use mission select instead of new game- is a giant pain in the ass. There are no real unlockables, other than a higher difficulty and a "challenge" mode.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Looks like the type of game I'll pick up in a year for 25 bucks, but it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun once I do.

Thanks for the review.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
..uh. How is.. making you a bit vulnerable, but giving you superpowers enough to succeed against incredible odds.. somehow off the scale in wonkyness..? You know.. the entire cyber-suit thing.. doesn't ring a bell?

Another thing - please don't copy Kotaku's "review" style. Please, just don't. I mean, what about writing the recommendation in a sentence. Like you did anyway.

Oh, and where's the part where you wax poetically about Shakespearean undercurrents when blasting waves upon waves of identical enemies coming down from dropships..? I think all robot games should have that, you know. Some in-depth appreciation for the narrative devices in a work of art. :p

..seriously, though - how can you write an entire review about this game, and not mention the ridiculously over the top cutscenes?

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
matrix3509 said:
All this destruction on a space colony? Explosive decompression anyone?

Also, I wonder if ARS was intentionally used as a homonym for arse here? Sadly, I think that kind of linguistic expertise is beyond most Japanese developers.
They just couldn't be arsed.

As for this actual game. I'm not a fan of cover-based shooting, let along a fan of shooters on the console.

But, perhaps, when I finally have money to spend on games. We'll see. It looks fun, though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, my title shows my feelings...

But just to note, it's short, but has MASSIVE replay value.

I beat it four times already, and am stuck on doing the fucking tactical challenges for the last trophy. THOSE THINGS ARE EVIL. 20 minutes into the 4th challenge, and I lost the the Crystal Viper. Since challenges don't have checkpoints, I was pissed.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
John Funk said:
If Marcus Fenix and Dante had a love child
Goddammit Funk, do you have any idea how much horrifying fanfiction you've just caused?!