Call of Duty: Black Ops Has Extremely Customizable Multiplayer

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Call of Duty: Black Ops Has Extremely Customizable Multiplayer

A fun-fact segment about Call of Duty: Black Ops has revealed new information about its multiplayer editor, probably.

I know that every Call of Duty fan probably knows everything about the game already, but I'm actually not one of those, so a recent post on the PlayStation Blog by Treyarch community manager Josh Olin might be informative to the rest of us. He calls the post "little-known facts" about Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288280247&sr=8-1], and it details a bunch of features you may not know about.

For example, did you know Black Ops will have a very customizable multiplayer game editor? Using it, players will apparently be able to create all sorts of different game types with more freedom than ever before. Olin says the custom games editor will allow you to edit simple variables such as time limit or score limit, but also deeper aspects of a game including the weapons, perks, and gear available. He reveals that if you want a "pistols only" match, you can go ahead and make one. Custom games apparently no longer rely on the "honor system." It sounds a lot like the multiplayer editor in GoldenEye 007 [http://www.amazon.com/James-Bond-007-GoldenEye-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B003O6FW6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288280717&sr=1-1] to me.

He also talks about how online split-screen multiplayer is being brought back in Black Ops. Did it ever leave? I have no clue. Anyway, players can add a friend through a guest account that can join up in split-screen multiplayer. The guest will be able to earn ranks and unlocks, but all guest progress will disappear when the guest leaves. I've always been surprised that split-screen was abandoned in many modern first-person console shooters, but at least it seems to be a priority again.

Olin went on to describe the addition of an in-game friends list, regional matchmaking, and multiplayer game privacy that can lock out people you don't want in. In addition, something called "emblems" will not be reset when you "prestige." Everything else will reset, but emblems will not. Is that a big deal? I'm relying on you here.

Well, did I get through that without embarrassing myself? Call of Duty: Black Ops will be available on November 9.

Source: PS Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/27/little-known-facts-call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-for-ps3/]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
My question: Is there a level editor similar to Forge Mode, because that's the only reason I'd ever buy a Halo title...

... Or a 360...

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I can't wait to see all the guest playing online, your reduced draw distance and clarity of vision shall only hinder you against the onslaught of fire from whatever OP burst weapon i select.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
It sounds a lot like the multiplayer editor in GoldenEye 007 [http://www.amazon.com/James-Bond-007-GoldenEye-Controller-Nintendo/dp/B003O6FW6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288280717&sr=1-1] to me.
Actually, that's got me thinking:
I don't think I've ever seen a shooter with a multiplayer as customisable as Perfect Dark.

You could choose the specific weapons, where they spawn, the personality types of the bots, the music that played in the level, slow mo under specific conditions, commands to give the bots in game, and a truckload more.

The Timesplitters games are the only ones that came close.

Funny though, how slowly re-implementing these features is a huge selling point nowadays.

Of course it definitely works on me. Bots in split screen will be bitchin' fun to play again.

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
the ability to ban certain perks and weps is a genius idea.. stupid martyrdom and noob tubes

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Ok, now I'm interested with Black Ops. I'd be like all those crazy times me and my friends had in Halo 3's custom games.

I must get this game now.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Cathal Sixsixosix said:
*cough*blatantlycopyinghalo*cough*
Doesn't say there is an actual level editor, just tighter control over settings, if anything, its more like a dedicated server.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
What I like most here is the talk of customisable game options. Looks like my dream of having a rocket/noob-tube free game that has existed since I first played MW2 will finally become a reality.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
That sounds nice, but I still have two more questions. Will I have access to these in combat training mode? Also, will I be able to remove killstreaks entirely? I'm pretty sure I already know that second one, but man I hate killstreaks.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Did I just read online split screen?

[HEADING=1]FINAFUCKINGLY[/HEADING]

*cough*

I cannot wait for Christmas to play this online with my little brother

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Sorry for bieng a halo fanboy but they seem to be saying alot of the same things, customization ect. again just me bieng an old git.

Although I will admit it sounds better than mw 2.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Don't worry, Tom, you did fine.

stinkychops said:
Cool, balance it though. Make sure all the guns are balanced. That's the most important thing in my opinion.
There is a team devoted to keeping balance both pre- and post-launch. Would it have pained IW so much to do the same?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009

They're pretty useful.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Online splitscreen?
Awesome. To be honest, I can't believe they've held out on it for so long.

I'm also liking the sound of having customisable setting for online matches. If only MW2 had had that option, think of all the frustration it could have saved...