Father Kinects With An Elbow to the Face

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Father Kinects With An Elbow to the Face

The first documented actual human injury sustained while playing with Kinect is quite a doozy.

It was bound to happen sooner rather than later with how frenetic your actions are when you play a game with Microsoft's Kinect for the Xbox 360. Other than the bombarding his TV with a ceiling fan pullstring [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105061-Warning-Dont-Play-Dance-Central-Naked], a video depicting a young man getting an elbow to the face from his father seems to be the first bodily harm caused by Microsoft's peripheral. The video was uploaded on November 4th, the day that Kinect was released in the US, and it's amazing.

I love the contrast of the first 20 seconds of wholesome family fun. The sun is shining in through the blinds, and the mother is clearly enjoying watching her husband and son playing together. It seems like something out of a modern day Norman Rockwell painting.

That is, until Dear Old Dad throws his elbows back and connects with his son's face. The Mom shrieks in terror, "Oh my God," and if you listen close you can hear moans and grumbles from the injured kid before the video cuts out Cloverfield-style.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't watch the moment of impact about 25 times in succession. It's just good, clean fun!

Source: G4 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux1FZpPKh20&feature=player_embedded]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Damn, right in the kisser!

I'm sure one day they'll look back at this and laugh, as I am now.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Good god... that elbow had to HURT.
These people really should've watched the "Room to Grow" episode of ENN.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Greg Tito said:
I'd be lying if I said I didn't watch the moment of impact about 25 times in succession. It's just good, clean fun!
Erm... Greg? That's a little worrying.

OT: Can't say I didn't see that coming. But, hell, it was one HARSH impact.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Hilarious! See, THIS is exactly what we get from stupid concepts like motion control. Let's be safe and ban it entirely!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ohhh! Hes gonna feel that in the morning!
...And right now lol

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
It looks like Kinect is going to be a fantastic source of gaming related accidents. It's only just been released and we've already seen quite a few hilarious stories.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
In the words of Mel Brooks, "If I cut my finger, its a tragedy, if you fall down a open manhole and die, its comedy."

That said, I lol'd.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
You know, I wasn't quite sold on this whole motion gaming at first, but after that video I have to admit that the concept has grown on me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mydnyght said:
Good god... that elbow had to HURT.
These people really should've watched the "Room to Grow" episode of ENN.
Imagine what playing Kinect is going to be like in those little Japanese apartments.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Jaredin said:
Ohhh! Hes gonna feel that in the morning!
...And right now lol
My response exactly. So much for the Kinect being safer than the Wii. Also lol at the title of this article.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
And soon all future Kinects will be bundled with elbow protectors.

Damn that had to hurt. Let this be a lesson to others. Don't stand very close to each other while playing.

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
I didnt pay much heed to these when they were about the wii and i wont be biased and hate on kinect when they get them. Truth is clumsy people will be clumsy no matter what tools they use though the boy could have moved out a little more (noticed him get closer and closer with each move he did).

Hopefully people will learn from these accidents and the general public wont see much of this happening and more people use it.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I'm laughing but I really want to know what game has you do those positions. Were they just dicking around or does a game actually reward you for it?

Calumon: Maybe he shouldn't have put his head there? Silly people. :p

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
WanderingFool said:
In the words of Mel Brooks, "If I cut my finger, its a tragedy, if you fall down a open manhole and die, its comedy."

That said, I lol'd.
Someone watched this weeks Escape to the Movies =P

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
ha, obviously you don't live in a microsoft sized mansion where there is the proper 3 square meters per player zoned off.