Shamus Plays WoW #3: Into the Bandit's Den

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Shamus Plays WoW #3: Into the Bandit's Den

Making bets with demons is usually a bad idea.

Read Full Article

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
The heads-in a vault thing sounds like fun. I'll do that if I ever sign up for the game again.

I'm left wondering about the demon's secret that has never been told to any mortal. Was that just bait for the bet, or might it be something that turns up in a later installment?

We can only speculate.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
It kind of scares me that someone using the vault next to me might be using it for severed heads. I don't want to enter the bank again, ever.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Hmm, that head collecting idea sounds interesting...
But OT this series is really getting good, keep up the good work!

Neuromaster

Mar 4, 2009
I haven't actually collected quest heads. Kinda want to now.

But I do still have a stack of Severed Night Elf Heads that I can't quite bring myself to get rid of. At this point they're collector's items!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Goldshire is the Barrens of the Alliance. Eugh.

Also, I was highly amused when I started a new character fairly recently only to see they had changed the enemies to "neutral". I remember ages ago when I made my first character EVERYTHING was out to kill you, and it did. A lot. Well, OK, once you got the hang of how the first few levels worked you probably wouldn't die, but I think they took it an extra step gameplay-wise which required them to take a step back in actual enemy common-sense-wise. I remember the first time I went into that cave that used to always be the bane of the first few levels and nothing even tried to kill me. It was baffling.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
coldfrog said:
Goldshire is the Barrens of the Alliance. Eugh.

Also, I was highly amused when I started a new character fairly recently only to see they had changed the enemies to "neutral". I remember ages ago when I made my first character EVERYTHING was out to kill you, and it did. A lot. Well, OK, once you got the hang of how the first few levels worked you probably wouldn't die, but I think they took it an extra step gameplay-wise which required them to take a step back in actual enemy common-sense-wise. I remember the first time I went into that cave that used to always be the bane of the first few levels and nothing even tried to kill me. It was baffling.
Ye, I was wondering that too when the picture with the defias showed, "When did they become neutral?".

OT: Wonderful Shamus, really enjoying this, not only because it's funny, but you're also a warlock ;)

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
The comic just keeps getting better. Hopefully well see these characters experience the changes that will eventually come with calaclysm ;)

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Why did Norman become a Warlock again? Why would a goody two shoes pick up evil powers if he wasn't fully committed to being a complete and total bastard. I don't get Norman at all. I still love this series though.

Arlour

Nov 9, 2009
I qq'd a little for being knowledgeable enough to notice this fault. The collecting heads thing wouldn't work because quest items are destroyed when you drop a quest, so you could only get as many as the game allows you to have quests. Which is still what, 15 heads in a vault? That is kind of a lot, I suppose. It would be impossible to get all of them though. I laughed at the notion in spite of this.

Spectere

Oct 21, 2008
therandombear said:
Ye, I was wondering that too when the picture with the defias showed, "When did they become neutral?".
If you want a specific time that they became neutral, it was an undocumented change in 3.3.0. I stumbled upon that while rep grinding with my DK. I was surprised to see that the "vicious, bloodthirsty quillboar" near the tauren starting area were as docile as ever.

It's even more off-putting in some of the starting areas in Cataclysm since there's a lot more in the world going on, but from a gameplay standpoint it makes sense. I remember rolling my first character and dying several times at low levels because I wasn't used to the aggro radius on the hostile mobs and the fact that hunters are basically useless in melee.

I think they went a bit too far in the other direction, honestly, but at least the handholding stops a bit when you get out of the cozy newbie areas.

Museli

Nin!
Aug 12, 2009
"I suppose you could just not turn in these quests and store all your heads in your vault."

Sadly, you'd soon run into the limit of 25 active quests. Dropping a quest would usually destroy any quest-related items, so your cranial museum couldn't grow any larger :(

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The 'Dun dun DUN' was perfect. A great way to end this.

I wonder how long Shamus will be doing this series? I think I brought it up before, but do you think he's got some specific quests in mind, or a certain level cap?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
AngryMongoose said:
This series is getting pretty good.

What's so bad about Goldshire? Are you on Moon Guard?
Oh the strange twisted things that go on in the Goldshire Tavern... *shudder*

Zolem

Jul 28, 2008
Ahhh Goldshire, tears shall be wept.

"Why aren't you sleeping with any of the hookers?"

"Because Gobstab, they're all guys dressed up as women. Except for those two guys over there, who are women dressed up as guys."