Don't Knock TV: It's Going To Get Better

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Don't Knock TV: It's Going To Get Better

Streaming television at our own place is going to result in better programming; just you wait and see.

Read Full Article

Apr 28, 2008
I'd love be able to stream stuff. However my internet is ass and I can barely stream a live feed, much less a television show/movie/game/whatehaveyou.

So yeah, until fast internet becomes more readily available, its kind of hard to get excited about how streaming will change things.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The next wrinkle is going to be monetization. You can certainly tell better stories when you have, in essence, a 12 hour episode instead of 12 1-hour episodes, but that means you're backending all of your revenue. You're losing the week-to-week that you'd gain from ad sales and trading it for a big payoff once the entire thing is done. Which can certainly work, it's just not the system that TV is currently set up to use.

I recently watched Persons Unknown on Netflix and I guarantee you it was a far superior experience to trying to follow it week by week. If you're watching everything in one lump, it's ok if an hour chooses to focus on character development as opposed to solving the mystery, but that's much harder to swallow when you've been looking forward to getting some answers all week long. (The show was flawed for other reasons, which is why it ultimately failed. Don't watch it - the ending will drive you mad.)

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Excellent article, but it does not really seem like TV is getting better from where I'm sitting. Now that Lost is done, the only TV drama I enjoy is The Walking Dead, and while it is a damn good show, it took a while to show up and it will be gone for a while in 3 weeks. Still waiting for the next Lost over here. :(

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
Not in Canada it's not, we have bollox broadcast laws thanks to the stupid CRTC.
"bollox"? is that Canadian for "Bullocks"? Dude, we're barely British anymore, quit trying. And you're clearly not doing it right.

As for the CRTC, it's a HELL of a lot better than most American stations where you can't watch a movie without half of it being bleeped and cut and butchered. Their censorship is lunacy. We make quality programming, trustworthy reporting and we treat our viewers like adults and not little children who might melt if they hear the word "shit."

we even show nudity :)

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
What do you mean writing is getting better? It clearly can't get shitter than this. Instead try sampling some foreign film, France and Japan, there not bad.
Oh and comic books written by Marvel n' DC, made into a film do not count.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Um... You folks don't know what the CRTC is do you? I'm not referring to the CBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, I'm referring to The Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Commission, the people who regulate Canadian Content and give TV Stations the right to broadcast in Canada. In many cases The CRTC is why we can't have nice things, it's why it took us forever to get HBO up here and why the BBC needs a special BBC Canada Station to broadcast here.

They're also pretty much ensuring that Canada will never get good digital content because they feel they can't "regulate the amount of Canadian Content" provided by digital sources.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Television as a medium is dead to me. Haven't owned a TV in 4 years . . . will never own one again. On the other hand, the artistic form formally known as the television series is just getting started. I wouldn't really put Lost in the A-list, but there have been some drop dead amazing series going lately, especially when you compare them to early television: think Carnivàle, Dextor, Mad Men, or BattleStar Galactica. I would argue that the art form has surely equaled or even surpassed film at this point.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
shadowstriker86 said:
Lexodus said:
At this point, it can hardly get worse.
glee, vampire diaries, and (insert current fox show that isn't cancelled yet) oh yes, it can get much, MUCH worse...
Glee I will give y- OH NO WAIT. They're not showing it in the UK yet. Again. I have to watch it online, and every single link online takes you to the same damn Megavideo link... -.-

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I don't mind the shows I watch at the moment. I don't watch much TV but most types of show appeal to me. But I usually stick to the comedies and sports.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
In many cases The CRTC is why we can't have nice things, it's why it took us forever to get HBO up here and why the BBC needs a special BBC Canada Station to broadcast here.

They're also pretty much ensuring that Canada will never get good digital content because they feel they can't "regulate the amount of Canadian Content" provided by digital sources.
A lot of Europe has similar issues and licensing in general throughout the continent is an insane mishmash of bad ideas. That's before you factor in every country having their own way of doing things and the costs of localising. Add to that the sheer network burden of a large amount of people moving to online TV. In the UK the rollout of BBC iplayer was very close to having the kibosh put on it when the internet providers threatened to refuse their users access to it claiming that there simply wasn't the bandwidth to go around.

The digital age of TV may have started but it's going to take a change in a lot of regulations to be mainstream in much of the world. Torrents are going to rule the roost for a while yet.

Even in America there's still issues with advertising revenues,rating systems and royalty and licensing payments attached to online content.

The weekly model isn't just the old way of doing things it's TV's attraction to investors. Some returns week in week out, the ability to see how the audience is taking your series and the opportunity to take it back and re-write the second half are big deals. Hitting your audience with one big dose and hoping it sells is a much bigger risk; the only serious advantage COULD be a few freedoms from network control but giants of streaming are already in place so the situation may just change hands rather than change.
As it stands working for a network eking out a weekly release and payment system and later putting it up for download\stream (maybe even for a fee) gives the best of both worlds and your online viewers will have been bolstered by those who missed teh airing and got word of mouth encouragement from those who did watch.

Yes, we may be at the start of something interesting that changes the way TV is made improving it in every way but there's a lot of obstacles in the way and it has some big risks if it goes all the way.

And lost? As much as people bang on about it I had absolutely no urge to pick up series two after watching the first. When an article that is talking about something altogether different wastes half the space on said show I have to wonder where the point went.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
A well written and interesting article. I'll have to agree, and I'm looking forward to see how TV has evolved. I'm expecting almost a mix of TV and Youtube in the future, which should be very interesting to see. Cheers.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I don't hold much hope for mainstream television. Used to watch the history channel and now 90% of it is ice road truckers swamp people and pawn stars. These shows are interesting but really are just cheap to produce and have nothing if anything to do with history. They have an actual channel that shows real history shows like the assassination of Kennedy, and the Eastern Front but they expect you to pay for it (F you history channel)
Law & Order, Family Guy, and a few other shows are about all I watch. Now days it seems like shows on stations like HBO and Starz are better than the crap peddle today. It's cheaper to produce live action reality shows with generic and annoying people that we'd otherwise avoid than to actually write out a good story with intriguing characters.
Gonna look into Hulu Plus and that along with my Netflix subscription may serve me better than paying for cable when all I really get is HD crap.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I like watching TV, there's just so many programs that are terrible. Plus, I don't have a TV in my room, and I dare not leave it.