209: Infinite Caves, Infinite Stories

spike0918

Apr 16, 2009
Man I just spent the last 3 hours trying to convince my friend to play spelunky through steam chat. And out of nowhere this article plays across my eyes like a golden chalice. Suffice to say he is downloading it now. Great game, probaly the best game I didnt have to pay for.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Yeah, I've downloaded and played this for a few days now and, I must say, it's cute. But very hard, in part because it's a bit too hard to do some things that should be easier - to whit:
- catch hold of a ledge when jumping
- jump and whip simultaneously
- jump on enemies

But the aesthetic is wonderful and the fun that can be had feeding Neanderthals to man eating flowers (and laugh in glee as they try run away!) is second to none.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Fantastic game. Is it hard? Very much so. Believe me, I'm not a masocore gamer, but I have absolutely no problem playing this game over and over (and over and over) again. I never feel pissed that I died and had to start over, because the game's just so goddamned fun! Probably my favorite game of the year.

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
the stealing from shopkeepers thing reminds me of legend of zelda: links awakening on gameboy colour, wherein you could steal items from the shopkeeper, but upon your return to the shop he would kill you (my poor childhood memory seems to think that he shot an energy beam at you, but that could be an embellishment on my part) perhaps the similar reaction of the shopkeepers in spelunky is, in fact, an homage?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
4fromK said:
the stealing from shopkeepers thing reminds me of legend of zelda: links awakening on gameboy colour, wherein you could steal items from the shopkeeper, but upon your return to the shop he would kill you (my poor childhood memory seems to think that he shot an energy beam at you, but that could be an embellishment on my part) perhaps the similar reaction of the shopkeepers in spelunky is, in fact, an homage?
More likely to be a homage to Nethack since Spelunky has a strong rougelike influence. You can also fight with shopkeepers and loot their shops in RPGs like Fallout and Morrowind.