Buffy Remake in the Works, Joss Whedon Not Involved

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Buffy Remake in the Works, Joss Whedon Not Involved

Buffy the Vampire Slayer could be making a reappearance on the big screen, but don't count on series mastermind Joss Whedon having anything to do with it.

Roy Lee and Doug Davison of production company Joss Whedon [http://www.imdb.com/company/co0084207/], the man most closely associated with the franchise, is not currently involved and while the producers have not ruled out his participation, neither have they made any efforts to bring him aboard.

The planned film would have no connection to the popular television series, meaning fan favorite supporting characters like Angel, Spike, Xander and Willow will not appear. Vertigo and Kuzui want to take another run at the franchise without "trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon," the Star Trek [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i666afabc28491e6a2f12dfb80c0f7098] film.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," Kuzui said. "It was based on our respect for what he does, and his particular sensitivity to Asian filmmakers, that we wanted to work with him." Lee has numerous movies to his credit as a producer but is probably best known for bringing Asian horror films like The Uninvited [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298130/] to North American audiences.

Whedon wrote the screenplay for the original Buffy television series [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103893/], which he said was truer to his concept for the movie and was also a far more successful venture despite its darker overall tone.

Lee, Davison and Kuzui are holding meetings with writers and while the project does not yet have a home, Kuzui sounded confident that it would go ahead. "Everything has its moment," she said. "Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
It's a good thing that you said right in the title that Whedon is uninvolved - I was about to come in here saying something like "Why the bloody FUCK is he doing this and not a Firefly reboot???!!!"

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Joss Whedon a mastermind...

I can say Firefly was awesome..the first two seasons of Buffy were awesome and that Angel is okay...but Mastermind...naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Also...is everything these days getting a reboot?

Batman, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Tomb Raider, Superman, James Bond, Knightrider, Bionic Woman, The Pink Panther, Flash Gordon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Karate Kid, Prince of Persia, Bionic Commando...

Reboot/Remake is the new thing in town...Half of it sucks ass.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Dectilon said:
Joss Whedon is a mastermind? Sure, he has his moments but let's not go nuts here...
In this context, it just means he created the charter and show and had most of the creative control.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
...why? Why remake Buffy into something that the fans are going to be pissed off about, when you could just make a film about a woman who hunts vampires in modern day America (because it will ALWAYS be America) and change the names, so the fans won't get so pissed off, you can change as much as you want, and you come across as half-original? Hell, take away the concept of the Slayer entirely, just have someone who is ultra-athletic but can still only go within the bounds of a normal person, and you've immediately made it different enough from most current modern vampire-hunter stories...

Is this such a hard concept for people to grasp?

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Come on! What the fuck!
There needs to be a law against remakes and franchise-milking sequels. Is it really too hard to come up with new material?!
<color=white>I hate capitalism. Capitalists are the ones making the world dependent on money.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Gonna suck. I adore Buffy, But quite frankly, half the reason the show was GOOD where the supporting characters. And without Whedons dark humour and sarcasm, this movie will suck ass.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
See kids, this is what's called "cashing in". It's a product designed to rape something you love in a blatant attempt to take some of your precious, precious money.
Burn it. Burn it with fire.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I didn't even know who he was until I read this. But that Buffy spinoff show "Angel" was really good.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
could be kewl, but I expect a cheap attempt to cash in on Twilight mania, & for the film to come out around the same time (but far enough to not lose out to) one of the next Twilight films

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Buffy without Whedon?. That's ridiculous.

It's bad enough that they butchered his movie.

atv_chic_18

Feb 15, 2009
Buffy without Whedon? Pfft it won't last. If it actually makes it to the screen none of the actual Buffy fans would watch because all the Buffy fans are fans because of Whedon himself. Buffy was great in seasons 2&3 they're my absolute fave seasons of the series. But personally, he's moved on and so have the majority of the Buffy actors which means the Buffy franchise ends. However, I must admit I would absolutely love a Firefly continuation or a sequel to Serenity.

atv_chic_18

Feb 15, 2009
Simriel said:
Gonna suck. I adore Buffy, But quite frankly, half the reason the show was GOOD where the supporting characters. And without Whedons dark humour and sarcasm, this movie will suck ass.
I concur with this. Without Whedon, Buffy does not exist... Next up in the line of business... Remaking Waynes World without Mike Meyers...

Edit: You can read Whedon's take on this http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/a-joss-less-buf.html

and his coworker who helps him write the Angel: After the Fall comic aka Brian Lynch's take on it over here.. http://bloglynch.blogspot.com/

TheEggplant

Excess Ain't Rebellion
Jul 26, 2008

"This is not happening."
"This is not happening."
"This is not happening."
"This is not happening."
"This is not happening."

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
Hey, Hollywood, here's a novel idea... why don't you, I dunno, do something original for once! Take a chance, do something people aren't expecting or haven't seen already.

Ugh...