BioWare Taking More Old Republic Testers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioWare Taking More Old Republic Testers

Thousands of people are slavering for the chance to play a buggy, half-finished version of a popular upcoming MMO. Are you one of them?

I can't be the only one who finds it funny how eager some people (including yours truly) are to get into closed tests for upcoming online games. By their very definition, betas are unfinished and rough versions of games - there will be bugs, there will be clunky gameplay, and there will be missing content. Why are we always so excited about getting a chance to play a worse version of whatever game it is we're looking forward to?

That said, I'm totally psyched about the potential of Star Wars: The Old Republic. And BioWare Austin is now taking applications for more would-be testers [http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20090929_001], signaling that a full-on beta for the highly-anticipated sci-fi MMO may well be imminent. (Edit: We have been informed that this is not a full-on beta, and is merely another internal round of focus testing).

The requirements for the test seem fairly lax: You must have an active SW:TOR community account (if you've been banned from their forums, you don't get to play), and you must be more than 18 years of age. BioWare will also be choosing testers based on system specification, age and region - probably to get as wide a mix as possible - so if your computer isn't quite up to par, don't despair yet.

If you want to try your luck and get in to the SW:TOR testing, here's your chance [http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20090929_001]. Sign up for a community account and cross your fingers.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
I was about to say, why is this news? Slow news day? lol. This has been going on for quite a bit of time.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Ah, remember the times when news took months to travel across distances? I sure don't, but its nice of the escapist to show me what its like. ;)

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Signed up a year ago, got my invite this morning! FYI, next beta session is Dec. 1 - 30th. Invite for this already went out. Earliest you can hope for if you aren't in is for Jan.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I'm actually not that interested in the beta... I mean, I want to play the game, but I want to get all I can out of it and not have to re-tread area once game goes live. Plus with family stuff in the holidays, work, school, and Cataclysm, I just won't have time. Good luck to those who sign up though, may the force be with you.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
I was about to say, why is this news? Slow news day? lol. This has been going on for quite a bit of time.
The registration has been open for a while but now they are putting out the actual invitations.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
KarmicToast said:
Signed up a year ago, got my invite this morning! FYI, next beta session is Dec. 1 - 30th. Invite for this already went out. Earliest you can hope for if you aren't in is for Jan.
Damn you and your luck!

Hm, I wonder if I can wear your skin as a cape to get into the beta... nah, don't worry. I'm just kidding.
Or am I?

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Did it ~10 months ago. I'm getting less and less enthused about it the more that comes out, but a Beta invite would confirm or deny it.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
KarmicToast said:
No chance that they'd be rolling out more before then? Only signed up a few weeks ago, but I'd love to get an invite. Too bad it's not based on system specs because for the first time in a long time, I actually have a formidable system. Bah!

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
John you've been brainwashed by lightsabers.... They used to have to pay people to do this sort of thing. Well back when testing was actually done before release, by humans and not software. I won't be signing up ... or playing after release. No matter how good they make the rest of the game. I can't forgive them for that absolutely lame railshooter they came up with for space combat.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
I'm sure this old. I wonder if they're finally letting European testers though. I remember back in september they were letting testers in, but only from America...