BioWare Taking More Old Republic Testers

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
John Funk said:
BioWare Austin is now taking applications for would-be beta testers [http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20090929_001], signaling that a full-on beta for the highly-anticipated sci-fi MMO may well be imminent.
Not a beta, John. Note the lack of the term anywhere on that page. As with prior announcements, we're just looking for testers for focus tests again. Please don't confuse that with a beta test, as they are not the same thing. "Beta" implies a certain level of completeness preceding full release, which this is not intended to represent.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I imagine you're referring to the Magid's survey that went out and included invites? Cause the article you linked to is quite old :p

John Funk said:
I can't be the only one who finds it funny how eager some people (including yours truly) are to get into closed beta tests for upcoming online games. By their very definition, betas are unfinished and rough versions of games - there will be bugs, there will be clunky gameplay, and there will be missing content. Why are we always so excited about getting a chance to play a worse version of whatever game it is we're looking forward to?
Ya it is a bit, but there's a lot of reasons. First off, there's the bragging rights - "I've played this game since beta" (or possibly even alpha, considering this stage is something in between). Hell, just look at the bunch of posters all flexing the date of their forum join on the official forums (we even got the same thing here on Escapist).

Then there's the "I just wanna see if the gameplay is up to my expectations, even if it's not finished" group - you can find me right here along with most people interested in the game. You know how everyone is happy when they get news about the game, get an answer to that question that's been bugging them for ages, like how big do worlds feel, how static/dynamic PvP combat is etc.? Well this is pretty much a golden ticket for those as they get to see most/all their answers first hand.

And of course there's the actual intended reason, people who want to make the game better for when it launches by playing the hell out of the betas, considering they're pretty much the intended and also the best way to spot any and all bugs and report them early, when there's a large team right there just waiting for you to find stuff for them to fix.

Most people are of course the mix of the groups/reasons, to one point or another, but ya, as you see, despite the unfinished status of the game, there's plenty of reasons to wanna get into beta :)

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
manythings said:
AnarchistAbe said:
I was about to say, why is this news? Slow news day? lol. This has been going on for quite a bit of time.
The registration has been open for a while but now they are putting out the actual invitations.
Got'chya! I had actually thought they had done this as well already. But, I may have been mistaken.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
manythings said:
AnarchistAbe said:
I was about to say, why is this news? Slow news day? lol. This has been going on for quite a bit of time.
The registration has been open for a while but now they are putting out the actual invitations.
Got'chya! I had actually thought they had done this as well already. But, I may have been mistaken.
I think this is the first public testing beta rather than just games testers and staff.