Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Overview

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Overview

There's no reason this DLC should be this good.

Read Full Article

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
"Pry my gun from my undead hands"
Inspired

Don't know whether I'll get it. No problems with it, but there are loads of great releases right now.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Wow. This review is... tardy, to say the least. Good nonetheless. It's a great bit of DLC and I would recommend it to anyone still on the fence.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
blakfayt said:
If there is one thing I hate it's the idea of shooting zombies in the head, did everyone miss REs 1-3? The only gun that hit the face was the magnum. I prefer the idea of "significant damage to the body causes it to shut down again" of course the damage the body takes is more than the average human, but still... Well either way I dislike zombie stuff, no matter how well done it is, or how original it is zombies are just a filler for lack of better foes.
Or you know, shoot the knees and elbows, making the zombies essentially harmless...
But whatever, logic+zombies=no fun, ergo...well, I don't quite know. I'm not a fan of zombies, and this doesn't really seem like a really fitting addon to a really immersive game. Still, if you like it, more power to you...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I kinda did think that Rockstar wouldn't let their fans down with bad DLC.
Seems to me they put a lot of spirit in it ( that is, most likely sold their souls to make this).

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Hah so thats how they got the Main character back! So what do you swap out with his now grown son when you want to stroll around as a Zombie ?

Dilapsor

Feb 24, 2010
Was the spoiler really necessary? I'm about 4 missions from the end of the DLC and if the last sentence of the review is the case, I'm a little irritated to have not been surprised.

Cyan.

May 10, 2010
"The Secret Armoury of General Knoxx" for Borderlands is a better DLC, if not the best value for money DLC made in recent times.... In my factual opinion.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I have actually not played RDR.. It just didn't seem appealing. That being said I am a huge Zombie fan.. With the positive reviews of the game and Zombie DLC, I might have to give RDR a chance when the price drops a bit.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
While I didn't hate Undead Nightmare, I did think it was really repetitive and past the first couple of towns, the ammo scarcity wasn't much of an issue. Early on, when you didn't have ammo, you ran around doing the up close kill with torch. Later on, when you had the ammo, you circled the zombies on your horse and went for the dead-eye kills. Never did see the sense of giving ammo to the settlements since I was the one killing virtually all of the zombies.

And the settlements... toward the end of the game I started riding by settlements because killing another eight billion waves of zombies had long since lost its appeal or presented any sort of a challenge. Especially after I tamed War, who could set the zombies he trampled on fire. I could see them trying to mix up the zombie types a bit to make it more interesting, but nothing in the zombie arsenal was really a match for a fast steed... the cluttered terrain of RDR was the single biggest factor in my getting pulled off of horses, not that having to run up close for a insta-kill shot with the weapon of my choice was that much more difficult to pull off.

Pros: it's a single player DLC (not nearly enough of those), good amount of content, core gameplay is reasonably fun, and the main missions held my attention... and the Four Horses are cool, especially War & Death.

Cons: not enough killing variety, not enough zombie variety, endless waves of zombies in later towns is boring instead of challenging, ammo scarcity is really only an issue in the early part of the game.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Dilapsor said:
Was the spoiler really necessary? I'm about 4 missions from the end of the DLC and if the last sentence of the review is the case, I'm a little irritated to have not been surprised.
It's hard to comment on this without posting a real spoiler.

I thought it was pretty much a given that you would end up with a zombie skin by game's end. I think people would be crying foul if you didn't. And (this is something I was wondering about as I was playing) you have to figure out a way to keep the game going after completing the final mission, and said reason would have to fit in with the original game's time-line (or creating an alternate one).

The hows and whys are far more entertaining than the knowledge that you become a zombie.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Personally I didn't think it was that good. You just run up to a zombie and press R2 or RT to win. Repeat a few thousand times and DLC over. And if too many zombies get close, you just run away to thin them out and then resume pressing R2 or RT to win. It was actually quite repetitive and boring. I didn't realize how much the missions I once called "stupid" (such as herding cattle) were needed to break up the shooting and keep the game interesting; of course, in the main game, you couldn't just run up to all the bad guys and press R2 or RT to win, because you'd have "a hole in your hillbilly head" long before you reached one of them to try it.

I also think the whole "ammo is scarce thing" got overplayed a lot by Rockstar. I don't know about anyone else, but after a few rounds of pressing R2 or RT to win at various locations, I had full ammo for all the guns I cared about using and never had a problem with running out of ammo either. No survival horror for me, I was playing a shooter still. A very easy shooter. I also found it a lot shorter than others have said, I don't know where people were getting the 8 hours they used to say, and now it's 10? I had this done in 5-6, which is good because it was so repetitive.

Overall I found the "Undead Overrun" MP mode to be a lot more fun than the single player part of the DLC. The package as a whole is alright, but not nearly as good as people say it is. Personally if I was going to rant about DLC being awesome, I'd talk about The Lost and Damned for GTA IV. Not this.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I feel slightly stupid for asking, but ZASHSOWS? What are they? Who are they? When are they? Where are they? These are my questions.

A good review though, it is a great bit of DLC in my humble opinion, its just a shame it wasn't longer, but I doubt you could call it DLC if it was much longer, it would start becoming just a new game.