First Transformers 3 Trailer Reveals 40 Year Old Secret

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
First Transformers 3 Trailer Reveals 40 Year Old Secret

According to the new Transformers movie, the Apollo 11 mission was about a lot more than just landing on the Moon.

The first trailer for Transformers: Dark of the Moon, the third and final installment in the Transformers series, suggests that the whole Megatron/Hoover Dam thing from the first movie wasn't unique, and America actually has a plethora of Transformers related secrets it's been keeping.

The trailer opens as the Apollo 11 lander touches down on the surface of the Moon and we hear Neil Armstrong's iconic line, "it's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Mission control then cuts the video feed to allow the astronauts to investigate the real reason they're there, the downed alien spaceship on the titular dark side of the moon.

The ship is ruined, with no survivors - or so the astronauts think. As the trailer closes, a yellow-armored Transformer with a metal goatee beard wakes up. It's not known who this mysterious robot is, but there are rumors floating around that Sentinel Prime - the leader of the Autobots before Optimus - will be in the movie, so there's the possibility it could be him.

According to Collider [http://www.collider.com/2010/12/08/transformers-dark-moon-trailer-transformers-3-trailer/], director Michael Bay is aware that Revenge of the Fallen had its problems, and wants Dark of the Moon to be a significant improvement in terms of story and action. There's not enough in the trailer to even hint at whether he's succeeded or not, but unfortunately, his track record with the franchise doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon hits theaters on July 1st, and Bay recommends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105670-Michael-Bay-Vigorously-Denies-Claims-of-3D-Problems-on-Next-Transformers-Movie] that you watch it in 3D.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
While I detested the second Transformers movie, and was very meh about the first, this one actually looks interesting, if they keep the human characters to professionals and stay the hell away from that damn kid and his girlfriend.

Side note, anyone else thinking Vector Sigma for the transformer at the end? And god I feel like such a nerd now.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I hope so much Unicron will be in this movie, but probably won't. I hope Bay wasn't lying about going deeper into the mythos because this looks more interesting compared to the first two.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
tkioz said:
Side note, anyone else thinking Vector Sigma for the transformer at the end? And god I feel like such a nerd now.
That was actually my first thought, too.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Ahh, Transformers, with your sad attempts at alterna-history bullshit. Will I someday get the option to be as embarrassingly written as you?

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Both movies sucked so my $50 says that this one will suck too. Just look at that cheesy trailer, dear god!

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
According to Collider [http://www.collider.com/2010/12/08/transformers-dark-moon-trailer-transformers-3-trailer/], director Michael Bay is aware that Revenge of the Fallen had its problems..
Michael Bay: knows the art of "Grossly understating the fundamental suckage of his films"

OT: It looks.. interesting, but it's a Michael Bay film. I expect little story, lot's of Baysplosions! (TM), convoluted romantic dialogue, and horribly screwing up Transformer persona's.

I'll wait and see.

BlueGlowstick

Nov 18, 2010
innocentEX said:
When will they bring back the Bug transformers, which were shaped as bugs? 4th movie? 5th?
the third movie is the last one in the Transformers franchise.

I heard that the Autobots and the Decepticons were supposed to form a team to take out an enemy. Or was that just for the game?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ok Bay used up all my good will towards the franchise to see the last two movies. I'm not making that mistake again. I'd only go see this for free.

Also what is up with that title? I get the film has something to do with the dark side of the moon, but why not just call it "Dark Side" than name it after one of the most famous albums of all time?

"Coming next fall Tron 3: OK Computer!"

Also if you're going to the dark side of the Moon (which is a misnomer since there is no "Dark Side") why land ON THE TOTALLY OTHER SIDE OF THE MOON!? Seriously. Did they take an Easyjet flight or something.

This series has done nothing but piss me off, and this movie has done it before the first trailer.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
I don't like the other 2 Michael Bay Transformer movies, but this one looks interesting. At least the trailer does. I might check it out after all.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
It says something when your 2 minute trailer is better than your 190 minute, 200 million dollar sci-fi action film...with giant robots.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Ok Bay used up all my good will towards the franchise to see the last two movies. I'm not making that mistake again. I'd only go see this for free.

Also what is up with that title? I get the film has something to do with the dark side of the moon, but why not just call it "Dark Side" than name it after one of the most famous albums of all time?

"Coming next fall Tron 3: OK Computer!"

Also if you're going to the dark side of the Moon (which is a misnomer since there is no "Dark Side") why land ON THE TOTALLY OTHER SIDE OF THE MOON!? Seriously. Did they take an Easyjet flight or something.

This series has done nothing but piss me off, and this movie has done it before the first trailer.
Because the alien ship is crashed on the "dark side" and if they landed on it, it wouldve been televised across the globe and not been much of a secret?

It's probably one of the wierdist framing devices I've ever seen. I wonder how Mr.Armstrong feels about it.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
Am I the only one who acualy enjoyed the other Transformers movies(-Megan Foxx)? But if he does actualy focus more on story,that would be VERY nice.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well.. it has a degree of hope.

As for Vector Sigma seems fairly unlikely of a notion. Personally Im not really getting the connection to Vector sigma outside of the robot being the same color as the Arc in the 80s cartoon. Perhaps that it seems integrated into the structure, but its only a split second shot and the angle may be misleading.

Outside possibilities might indicate a setup of a battle between Omega Supreme and Trypticon with this yellow bot being Omega supreme, which I find a little more plausible than Vector sigma. But It seems more likely that they would do a little more focus on the gestalt transformers before going all the way into Omega/trypticon, or even Unicron.

Sentinel prime does seem more likely albeit a confliction of the story, which given that Michael Bay did butcher the lore in the last film,(WTF, The fallen? Seriously?) Sentinel prime and that confliction seem like an ideal likely candidate.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon hits theaters on July 1st, and Bay recommends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105670-Michael-Bay-Vigorously-Denies-Claims-of-3D-Problems-on-Next-Transformers-Movie] that you watch it in 3D.

It´s Transformers : Dark of the Moon, not Dark Side of the Moon! I guess the Pink Floyd reference is cooler than the name they used...

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I really liked the first Transformers movie.

The second was definitely lacking in something - I think they introduced too many new Autobots and should have just stuck with the ones from the first film (maybe with the addition of Sideswipe because he was awesome). Jolt, for example, was absolutely redundant until his 1 scene at the end...and it goes without saying how much hatred I have for Skidz and Mudflap. Seriously, what? There was way too much comic relief in that film. Way too much.
Additionally, I thought the Fallen was a total pussy and died way too easily.

I'm not sure how I feel about this new one. If I remember correctly, Bay said it would focus on human relationships moreso...despite the film being about the eponymous Transformers.
Also, now Megan Fox is out, we have some new girl who more than likely can't act, and who, with the aid from CGI, is unrealistically hot.

I hope in this one, also, that Starscream kills Megatron. That would be wonderful.

EDIT: Also, this
marcogodinho said:
It´s Transformers : Dark of the Moon, not Dark Side of the Moon!