The Little Touches in Assassin's Creed

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The Little Touches in Assassin's Creed

Yahtzee realizes that sometimes it's the little things that make a game interesting.

Read Full Article

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I thought this was going to be about the crowds in Italy talking about you and their day to day business upon clicking on it.

I never left the animus once. I don't care about Desmond all that much and was much more interested in doing Ezio things. Seems I may have missed out on something.

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
That's a very good point. I always love finding little things like that in games, like the clipboard with a picture of a chicken's skeleton in Portal, or the "Rakk Hive Rides" poster in Borderlands.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
"Hey, wassa-matta you, Altair?"

This is the biggest point of characterization for Desmond.

That he talks to statues.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I agree with you on this, these things can really make a game. I know I loved it in Arkahm Asylum where the game actually rewarded you for finding all the little secrets like that.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
its funny he should mention Kojima.... Raiden is an unlockable character if you gold metal all the challenges.

coincidence? No. Kojima acutally has some close ties to ubisoft. simple as that

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
There was a lot of this in Arkham Asylum. You could zoom in on things like the case files and newspapers scattered around the place and read random information about some of the patients. Some of them the super villains and some of the them just mundane normal crazy people. There is an entire box in one place full of fake letters from Joker to the family of somebody that was committed.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
I have a huge fucking problem with the concept of a silent protagonist. How on Earth can you relate to a mute character? Gordon Freeman for example. He never says ANYTHING, so if his character is supposed to be based solely on his actions, then he's the fucking Terminator. He never eats, he never sleeps, he never bats an eyelash at murder or his own injuries... FUCK, he can't even say excuse me when NPCs block a hallway. No one else thinks this is really stupid? A work of fiction needs a protagonist with understandable goals and motivation.

In terms of player projection, he's something of a success, but that is not a good thing. If his character is nothing but the player, than Gordon Freeman is only casually invested in the creatures who call him their savior, a pervert who crouches next to Alyx for embarrassing lengths of time to get a juicy view of her ass, a man who is willing to hunt down every single last gooey grub, for hours and hours in an underground insect hive, rather than save his dying friend in a speedy manner.

You want to know a protagonist I felt a genuine kinship with? You want a character I felt immersed by?

Tommy, from 3D Realm's Prey. Why? Because he had a face, a name, and most importantly a voice. He reacted, and realistically, to the seriously messed up crap he was faced with. He vomits when the gravity shifts. He screams rage and pain when harmed. He cries out in panic and confusion when faced with surrealities that the player too cannot at first comprehend. He's grimly satisfied when things go his way, and often says what we're thinking. When he loses his loved ones, his pain IS our pain. The game uses the Half-Life 2 trick of never ever ever taking us out of the 1st person perspective, but without the character's voice, Gordon Freeman just seems like an oblivious oaf with no control or input on what happens unless he is directed by an NPC.

TL;DR: Gamers do not, unequivocally DO NOT, need voiceless protagonists in order to be a part of the narrative themselves. This is a shallow tactic that does more to break immersion than to enhance it. What games need is a protagonist of depth.

Mertruve

Feb 9, 2009
I think it's a test of a game's immersion to be able to zoom all the way into the smallest detail and find care and backstory even there - this is where games like Fallout 3 fall down, looking spectacular at a distance but shallow up close.
Wait, what? The backstory found within random encounters was the best part of F3.

There's an email system in the first Assassin's Creed too by the way, I also checked every square inch of the Abstergo laboratory every time I had the chance - just to see if I'd get any chance of interaction.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
That's exactly why Portal was a great game and why most games from Valve are good. They always include lots of little things that make the game world seem more real. I'm worried about the full length Portal 2 because I don't think they can maintain the level of detail on a full length game, but we'll see.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ill bet Desmond is written to be bland so that players can attach them selfs to him, Ill bet thats why allot of main chars are written bland or just mute, I never liked that although I suppose it does add more of a "this is you" sort of thing to games but to me it just comes off as lazy most of the time

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
A thought provoking article. I had't looked at it that way - that little things are necessarily little because the search for them is integral to their value.

I'll be replaying Deus Ex right away.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I never noticed an email system in ACII, but the Codex was one of the most incredible little details I've ever seen. While reading it, I didn't even notice what was happening: I was getting an explanation for my upgrades.

That was something I'd always taken for granted, just taking the NPC's word for it that you got an upgrade. But the Codex actually explained why and how. Sometimes the little things blow your mind :0

DeeJayTee

Apr 8, 2010
I'm not sure I agree with your Fallout 3 point.

For example, in the Museum of Technology, you can reach a hidden ledge leading to a room with valuable items, but also two embracing skeletons on a mattress. A nice touch.

And in the town of Minefield, besides being a gigantic Snatcher reference, you can find blood marks outside the door of one of the houses, perhaps from someone shot by the resident crazed sniper. Open the door, and you'll find a dead raider.

Not to mention the tons of hackable computers, some of them containing emails from before the apocalypse. In one particular town being attacked by fire ants, one of the residents, who is never seen and barely mentioned, through hacking his terminal, is shown to be quite the paranoiac, and keeps a hidden rocket launcher nearby.

It really felt rather rich to me, which is why, again, I don't understand why you felt the game lost some of its charm when you examined things closely.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
As with others here I have to say that if he thinks Fallout 3 is shallow, then he didn't put any energy into the game whatsoever. It's so easy to miss things like the town full of Cannibals (Andale) or the little part where you can get a drug addict to pass OD so you can rob him. That game is packed full of stuff that you don't catch unless you're paying attention.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
In Fallout 3, if you open the right door in the right place,
FUCK YOU.
If you found it, you know what I'm talking about. Is it fun? Hell no.