Mass Effect Comic Book to Uncover the Secrets of the Illusive Man

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

What part did the Illusive Man play in getting humanity into the stars? One thing is for sure, he definitely threatened a Turian.

A new comic book series from Dark Horse will shed some light on the enigmatic, chain-smoking head of the Cerberus organization, the Illusive Man. What's more, it's got the official BioWare stamp of approval, making everything in its pages canonical

While they seem pretty comfortable with it in the games, in the Mass Effect universe, humans have been exploring the stars for less than 40 years, and the new series - called Evolution - shows how the Illusive Man, who presumably was called something else at that point, helped in getting Humanity out into space. From the art for the first issue - as seen above - it looks like the Illusive Man happened upon one of the first Turians to visit earth. Of course, it could be a specific Turian who's wronged him in some way. Honestly, it's a little hard to tell.

BioWare's Mac Walters, who was the lead writer on Mass Effect 2, is teaming up with comic book writer John Jackson Miller to write Evolution. Miller's previous work includes the Knights of the Old Republic comic book, which is set in the same world as the games, but a few years before the events of the first game.

The first issue of Mass Effect: Evolution goes on sale on January 19th, with two variant covers for the true collectors out there.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/20/learn-the-origin-of-the-illusive-man-in-mass-effect-evolution.aspx]

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
The picture means he was in the brief "First Contact War" that happened when the Turians followed a human ship to a colony thinking it was a hideout of Pirates. Before that humans had only found ruins from aliens, hence why its called "The firt contact war". Also I believe the name of the colony was Shanxie or something like that.

(An interesting not is that Saren Arterius was present when this happened)

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Can I get it on audio tape? Narrated by Martin Sheen?
Haha, amazing!

And okay, I may be looking forward to this comic just a little much now.... :D

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Is it just me, or is he holding that gun REALLY awkwardly?

Colour me excited, The Illusive Man is one of the most interesting characters in recent gaming memory.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
What part did the Illusive Man play in getting humanity into the star?
I wasn't aware that humanity was inside of a star, when did that happen? Can't imagine that makes for a very pleasant living environment.

Kidding aside, you appear to have left the trailing "s" off of the word "stars" in that sentence, which changes the meaning quite a bit, heh.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Awesome! Finally some first-contact war details are gonna be fleshed out!

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Miller's previous work includes the Knights of the Old Republic comic book, which is set in the same world as the games, but a few years before the events of the first game.
I really need to get more sleep; I read this as Star Wars and Mass Effect happening in the same Universe, I was about to have a fanboy aneurysm.

I'm interested in the comics, the illusive man is very mysterious. I did hope they would investigate this in a game though.

Apr 28, 2008
I think I'll pass. Not too fond of Walters and his work in ME2.

And I don't think thats Earth, probably Shanxi. Since the burning building and aesthetic make it seem like a war-torn area.
Joshimodo said:
Is it just me, or is he holding that gun REALLY awkwardly?
Its how all the cool kids hold guns these days.

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
Maybe just maybe I should go and get a save just before I decide what to do at the end of ME2, and make the decision based on this comic!

knight56

Aug 12, 2009
Can we have it not be the debacle the last comic was. The last comic contradicted the games five different ways.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, there's another thing Futurama has ingrained in my head. I see "John Jackson" and immediately thing of his opposing candidate "Jack Johnson". But cool, The Illusive man. I learned that name from the ME2 Demo! Can't wait to hear about who he is.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:

Of course, it could be a specific Turian who's wronged him in some way. Honestly, it's a little hard to tell.

You humans are all raceists!

OT: Awesome! I hope i have enough money so i can buy this when it comes out.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Ruins the suspicion. Don't want this at all, part of the fun is the mystery of the Illusive man - it's like if they were to show the origin of the G-man in the HL series.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Actual said:
Miller's previous work includes the Knights of the Old Republic comic book, which is set in the same world as the games, but a few years before the events of the first game.
I really need to get more sleep; I read this as Star Wars and Mass Effect happening in the same Universe, I was about to have a fanboy aneurysm.

I'm interested in the comics, the illusive man is very mysterious. I did hope they would investigate this in a game though.
Actually, the Star Wars and Mass Effect Universes do cross over. The Reapers travel to the Star Wars Universe when they aren't in Mass Effect. At last, we know where they go when they go beyond the galaxy. I'm not kidding. Here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Destructors

On Topic: I'm not sure I want to pick this up. Part of the fun about the Illusive Man is not knowing anything about him. Maybe I'll get it after Mass Effect 3, but certainly not before.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
He looks like Charlie Sheen fused with Nathan Fillion.

And I'm so buying this comic.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Apparently the Illusive Man is from the 'hood with the way he's holding that gun. He's keepin' it real, yo.

God I'm so old.

I love how he's in civilian clothing but was able to beat down a fully armoured Turian, that's just impressive.