Sega Makes A Kart Racer

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sega Makes A Kart Racer

Sega has announced Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, a kart racer featuring a slew of characters from Sega games like Sonic, the Super Monkey Ball monkey and the Samba de Amigo Amigo.

The idea of Sonic in racing games has baffled me for a long time now, even when I was too young to be baffled by anything when Sonic R came out. Why is Sonic racing his friends? What's the point? He can run faster than all of them. That's why he's Sonic. Okay, so he might be riding a hoverboard, or in the case of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Sega's new take on the modern kart racer, a sports car. But why should Sonic drive a car? He's faster than most of them.

It's probably best to put such questions aside when talking about something like All-Stars Racing. Set for release on PS3, 360, Wii and DS next year, the game pits a variety of characters from Sega's pantheon of game franchises and has them do what any group of mascots would do when they get together. Race each other across novelty stages in silly vehicles.

In addition to Sonic, Dr. Robotnik (Eggman), Tails, AiAi (the monkey from Super Monkey Ball), Amigo (of Samba De Amigo) will be in attendance, racing in cars, planes, motorcycles and, for Mr. Monkey Ball, banana mobiles. Each character has a special move they can use, and there are power ups and items on each track, like in most kart racers.

"Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is no ordinary racing game. Its huge variety of characters and vehicles, plus the ability to play both online and off set it apart from other games of this type," said Gary Knight of Sega Europe. "The team have pushed the boundaries on what you would normally expect and created a different and unique party racing title whereby you really can't take anything for granted!"

Sounds like a simple but fun time. Now if Sega makes an unlockable Dreamcast kart, then we'd really be in business.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Last I checked Nintendo was the only company capable of pulling off a good to decent kart racer. I haven a feeling that this will be a failure of a game.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Noooooo please don't. A kart racer is perhaps the least inspired type of game. There is virtually no way to differ from the formula. Weapons: must be picked up. Carts: must be virtually identical in terms of performance. Characters: must be ugly big-head versions of thier normal incarnation.

regal90

Jan 15, 2009
Oh dear... well i'm going to go and help the sega team dig thier own graves (again)... Anyone want to give me a hand?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
This makes no sense.

Sonic runs fast. That's what he does. WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE USE A CAR?!?!

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I dunno, man.

Am I the only person who thinks it could just be a new Mario-kart with different/better maps?

And I liked wacky wheels and skunny kart. ;/

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
This makes no sense.

Sonic runs fast. That's what he does. WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE USE A CAR?!?!
Yeah why would he use a stupid hover board to race other things as well!

Nanissimov

Feb 17, 2009
GIVE IT UP sega! Mario is way infront of you Seriously your a dead system, its nintendo, ps3, and 360 no sega ass cast! give it up! Make your own system and make your own crap there just not here. Your like 20 miles behind the band wagon! Seriously, I dont like nintendo but i gatta say that it beats sega by a longshot

Nanissimov

Feb 17, 2009
By the Effin way, Why does sonic of all people need a car? He runs at supersonic speeds, If he gets tired he has that hover board... Thing and rollerblades!

Yoshi_egg80

Apr 1, 2009
regal90 said:
Sonic riders?
I can has cookie plz?
Sure *tosses cookie* though every kart race game that's been released after double dash just feels like a step back. *cries* I'll never let you go double dash!

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I'm somewhat interested to see if this will be little more than the kart racing in Sonic Adventure 2 w/ weapons.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Wow I'm suprised it took sega this long I mean Namco, Nintendo, and Rare have slready done this a long time ago thought it wouldn't take long for sega to copy, I guess I was wrong it took some years.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Freakout456 said:
Wow I'm suprised it took sega this long I mean Namco, Nintendo, and Rare have slready done this a long time ago thought it wouldn't take long for sega to copy, I guess I was wrong it took some years.
They had variations: Sonic R, Sonic Riders, kart racing minigames in Sonic Adventure 2 and other stuff like that.