Question of the Day, December 22, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, December 22, 2010

Yesterday, we learned that Square-Enix was almost certainly bringing beloved classic JRPG Chrono Trigger to mobile devices - only in Japan. Would you play a game like Chrono Trigger on your phone?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, sure. I've played full-length RPGs on my Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, DS and PSP, so a phone wouldn't be a giant leap.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Spend enough time on my computer, having it on a phone aswell would be little short of a disaster.

Mar 30, 2010
KiKiweaky said:
Spend enough time on my computer, having it on a phone aswell would be little short of a disaster.
This, bang on. I spend far too much time on my 360 at home as it is. I have no idea what would happen to my already atrophied social skills if I were to immerse myself with the world of mobile gaming as well, but I'm guessing I'd just stop bothering with humans altogether.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I can't see myself doing so.. though I currently don't have a phone that would allow me to do so anyways. But I have played RPGs on handhelds before so I don't see why I wouldn't if it was good enough and wasn't available in some other way.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Two Words - Chaos Rings. They have proven they can make AWESOME original RPGs onto the iphone...and they have already ported chrono to the DS (With great success I might add)

So, if it came to iPhone - I believe they would do a successful job!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
save anytime anywhere and in any situation or I dont want it. Otherwise, id love to play a full RPG on a smart phone. ^-^

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
I wouldn't mainly because I only got a mobile phone was so I was able to be contacted if I was out somewhere, so mine is rather basic.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Absolutely, iOS is a perfect gaming platform.

Here's an interesting read: iOS Nearly Surpasses Nintendo as Most Popular Gaming Platform [http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=11690]

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
On an iPhone/iPod touch, sure.

I don't see myself doing it on my phone right now though, but my iPod...yeah, that could work.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I'd prefer a larger screen, better sound, and a less cramped control scheme, but if it was an exclusive I wouldn't rule it out. Having a PSP and with all the RPG's potentially available for that one already, I don't really need my Legend to be a mobile gaming platform though.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
On a handheld? Absolutely. But on a mobile phone? No.

Not only are the controls generally more awkward, I wouldn't want to play long games on the same device that I use as a phone. Even just playing simple games like Tetris can drain your battery life preety quickly and I need the battery on my phone to last me for a while. Plus, most phones do not include a headphone jack and I would hate to play games without sound.

Besides, I have no problem carrying both my phone and Game Boy Micro with me.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Well, I haven't played chronotrigger, but why not? Especially if it has turn based combat. I feel like those are just made to be on mobile devices. In fact, would anyone on here like to sponsor me in order to create one? I just need like, a few million bux...