I Am Rich Returns to Prove You're Rich

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I Am Rich Returns to Prove You're Rich

The I Am Rich application has reappeared on the recently launched Windows Phone 7, though it doesn't require as many riches as before.

Back in late 2008, iPhone developer Armin Heinrich created a controversial application called I Am Rich and set it loose on the App Store. It cost $999.99, the maximum price allowed for an app, and was nothing more than a shimmering red jewel that you could show to others to brag about how rich you were. Apple removed it after 8 purchases (some accidental), but I Am Rich has triumphantly returned on another platform: Windows Phone 7.

Microsoft launched [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104270-Microsoft-Xbox-Phone-Launch-Bigger-Than-Xbox-360s] Windows Phone 7 in November 2010 in an attempt to expand its presence in the mobile phone market. With I Am Rich now among the ranks of the Windows Phone Marketplace, the platform may have made inroads already.

The Windows Phone 7 version of I Am Rich costs $499.99, 50% off of the original price, but only because that's the price ceiling for Microsoft's app store. It works in a very similar way to the previous version, though apparently comes from a different developer. The app's description says it's "meant only for those who are rich or anyone else who can afford excellence."

I Am Rich now displays a shiny diamond instead of a red jewel, but still does nothing worth even close to 500 clams. This time, it at least allows users to display their status with text, such as: "I'm so rich that I just wasted $500 to prove it. Someone, please, love me."

Microsoft hasn't put the kibosh on I Am Rich yet, but it was released over the holiday week so it might not have taken notice yet, or could leave it up for good. I'm not sure if the original I Am Rich actually broke any rules for an uploaded app, and the new version may not either. Quite honestly, owning it is a little sad, but if that's how you want to spend your money, feel free.

Source: Mobile Crunch [http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/12/22/i-am-rich-windows-phone/]

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
I WANT ONE! lol
i really dont know what to say about this... suppose if you want to waste your money you could do it more constuctivly... like giving it to me ^_^

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I like the idea, if a guy is willing to throw away that amount of money just for that then he is definitly rich enough to justify the use of that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008

An electronic application that that is used to show notte more a petty little pebble of a sparkling variety for a mere, peasant price of fifty-and-zero coinages and which it's use is that of nothing more?

A-ha-ha! You are as PRESUMPTUOUS as you are POOR and IRISH. Tarnish notte the majesty of my TOWER of HATS.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I'm all for the existence of this app. It lets me know right away when somebody's such a tremendously self-absorbed d-bag that I should stay the hell away. It's like the Ed Hardy of apps, which is good, since quite a few d-bags have caught onto the Ed Hardy stigma and stopped wearing it. They're getting crafty, I tell ya!

Seriously, though, if somebody's stupid enough to buy this, then the 'developer' deserves the money for exploiting such brainless degenerates.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
People will spend stupid amounts of money just because they can. Or they think it makes them cool. Or important. Or something.
I never understood the mindset of people for whom Kim Kardashian is cooler than Tom Waits.
The people who would buy this. [http://www.blingh2o.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=0bkte0tvnb1uc7f1rlvvj1h641]

On the other hand, the person making five hundred bucks minus Microsoft's cut every time some tool wants a cartoon diamond on his phone? That is the American Dream, right there.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
I still think this is brilliant and I'm kicking myself in the head for not thinking of it.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
I'm just sad that I didn't create it, I could do with some spare change...

Lazarus Long said:
*snip*
The people who would buy this. [http://www.blingh2o.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=0bkte0tvnb1uc7f1rlvvj1h641]
*snip*
Wait what? o_O That's like buying a jewel-encrusted can of caviar from a mink-wearing sturgeon on a truffle diet: Stupid.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I think it's great satire.

If it wasn't for the comments such as "someone please love me", I imagine the kind of people who buy expensive brand handbags and such might actually have bought it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Tim Latshaw said:
Kanye West bought another Windows 7 phone just so he could get this app again.
Kanye West has, infact, ordered a number of miniature Windows 7 phones to replace the rest of his teeth. Each displaying this app.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
You know, even if I did desperately need to lose money, I'd just throw it off a bridge.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
At least the desperate yet "rich" are now much easier to identify with this app. I also now know who to rob since whoever has this app clearly has too much money and would be glad to be relieved of it in exchange of just a few minutes of brusque contact at gunpoint. Truly a win-win for everyone.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
You know when you ask "what has the world come to?".

Well... this. This is what the world has come to.