Converted

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Converted

Sean Sands discovers that he's secretly been a board gamer all along - he just never knew it.

Read Full Article

Stegofreak

Aug 6, 2008
Nice article. My mate and I decided to give the Doom board game a go one day. We gave up when I trapped him in a room with two Cyber Demons though and never got around to finishing the game. There are a few board games that I want to get into though; A Game of Thrones for one.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Welcome to the club. ;) I recently picked up StarCraft the Board Game, Conquest of the Empire and Command & Colors: Ancients, all of which are exceedingly good games.

DerpyDerpyDerp

Mar 27, 2009
I turned into a board game convert when I picked up the card game Fluxx a few years back. That grew into Arkham Asylum, Battlestar Galactica, Descent, etc...

Penn

May 31, 2009
I've recently been turned on to the genre of cooperative boardgames, notably Pandemic (fantastic game), Arkham Horror, and (to a lesser extent) Shadows over Camelot. The other category I really like are those that can be played in an hour or less but are still great, like Tsuro, Station Master, and card games like Fluxx and Chrononauts. www.boardgamegeeks.com is the best resource out there, for board games.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
You should try Monopoly now that you've experienced the "strategy" games.

Seriously, the strategy in monopoly goes far beyond the rules, it gets into your head. You have to try to get everyone to not figure out what you're doing while fighting for the resources.

If you doubt me, when I first came up with a strategy for Monopoly, the game lasted three hours, and now nobody trusts me when I play.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
randommaster said:

Seriously, the strategy in monopoly goes far beyond the rules, it gets into your head. You have to try to get everyone to not figure out what you're doing while fighting for the resources.

If you doubt me, when I first came up with a strategy for Monopoly, the game lasted three hours, and now nobody trusts me when I play.
I have attempted to play a serious game of Monopoly...I nearly killed someone.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
StarStruckStrumpets said:
randommaster said:

I have attempted to play a serious game of Monopoly...I nearly killed someone.
I find that if everyone agrees to end the game after a certain time, say, five hourrs, then people get competitive without getting violent or bored.

The closest game I have ever played was one where me and my dad were playing, then when we sold everything back, I won by two dollars. Two. Dollars.

And people say Baltic Avenue is worthless.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
On that note, may I recommend Cosmic Encounter? It's a big hit with our group: the game lasts less than 90 minutes, with lots of plotting and general chaos going on. You haven't lived until you've been the only person in a five-player game that lost.

No, I have never experienced this. Why do you ask?

Cubilone

Jan 14, 2009
I like Catan! Board games are great great fun/ The challenge comes when trying to find playmates.

eelel

May 29, 2009
Finding the right group is rite. I love board games but I have no one to play them with. T_T

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
The article sounds like it's combining board and tabletop games with the talk about arcane rules and many dice. It seems kinda strange to have that concept of board games since I'm sure most people know board games only from things like Snakes & Ladders and Sorry. We're playing games like Puerto Rico and Agricola mostly, lately we've taken a liking to San Juan since it's playable in fairly short rrounds.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
I was pretty decent at the ole Axis and Allies board games, although I am now horribly out of practice.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Holy CRAP Battlestar Galactica makes for a good board game.

It's even better with beer and friends... which makes the "six hours" you drop on it worthwhile.

Though honestly, if you take six hours, your group isn't very good at it. Last time I played we did it in four.

Toners

May 27, 2009
randommaster said:

Coincidentally, I played that yesterday and lost :( I found it awful that I knew from memory, having not played it for months, exactly how much it was going to cost me before I landed on a property x)
Also I'm a demon at Draughts :D

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Our card- and board gaming club at my town has recently gotten into 2 sci-fi games: Galaxy Truckers (everyone simply loves it, twice as much with the expansion....) and the Race for the Galaxy. Though not a board game, we love it also.

But yeah, Catan is one of the all-time favourites for our club, as is Princes of Florence.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Toners said:
randommaster said:

Coincidentally, I played that yesterday and lost :( I found it awful that I knew from memory, having not played it for months, exactly how much it was going to cost me before I landed on a property x)
Also I'm a demon at Draughts :D
Property prices? That's nothing. I can remember the uninproved rent cost, plus cost for houses for the properties.