Converted

Toners

May 27, 2009
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
You should try Monopoly now that you've experienced the "strategy" games.

Seriously, the strategy in monopoly goes far beyond the rules, it gets into your head. You have to try to get everyone to not figure out what you're doing while fighting for the resources.

If you doubt me, when I first came up with a strategy for Monopoly, the game lasted three hours, and now nobody trusts me when I play.
Coincidentally, I played that yesterday and lost :( I found it awful that I knew from memory, having not played it for months, exactly how much it was going to cost me before I landed on a property x)
Also I'm a demon at Draughts :D
Property prices? That's nothing. I can remember the uninproved rent cost, plus cost for houses for the properties.
No, as in when you land on Picadilly with 3 houses, it's £850 and all that :p

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:

Seriously, the strategy in monopoly goes far beyond the rules, it gets into your head. You have to try to get everyone to not figure out what you're doing while fighting for the resources.

If you doubt me, when I first came up with a strategy for Monopoly, the game lasted three hours, and now nobody trusts me when I play.
Coincidentally, I played that yesterday and lost :( I found it awful that I knew from memory, having not played it for months, exactly how much it was going to cost me before I landed on a property x)
Property prices? That's nothing. I can remember the uninproved rent cost, plus cost for houses for the properties.
I see, but so does anybody else with functioning eyeballs.

Lame humor aside, does overseas Monopoly still use the 1/5/10/20/50/100/500 bill system, or are there different values?

Also, what's your favorite variation of Monopoly?

Toners

May 27, 2009
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:

Lame humor aside, does overseas Monopoly still use the 1/5/10/20/50/100/500 bill system, or are there different values?

uhh... actually I doubt many people could memorise them totally x) I'm damn good with numbers for some reason

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:

uhh... actually I doubt many people could memorise them totally x) I'm damn good with numbers for some reason
Have you ever played Pokemon Monopoly by any chance? There are actually small changes to the rules that make it a lot more exiting in the late game.

Toners

May 27, 2009
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:

Have you ever played Pokemon Monopoly by any chance? There are actually small changes to the rules that make it a lot more exiting in the late game.
actually I haven't, but I might check it out :p And of all the versions I've played, nothing's gonna beat the Franklin Mint gold limited edition version my mum keeps somewhere. We played it once, just for the crack. We're keeping it as an heirloom of sorts until they stop producing them entirely.
EDIT: it pobably wasn't the Franklin Mint one, because it has the classic London street names on it... so I'm not sure which one it is... I'll have to ask :p

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:

actually I haven't, but I might check it out :p And of all the versions I've played, nothing's gonna beat the Franklin Mint gold limited edition version my mum keeps somewhere. We played it once, just for the crack. We're keeping it as an heirloom of sorts until they stop producing them entirely.
EDIT: it pobably wasn't the Franklin Mint one, because it has the classic London street names on it... so I'm not sure which one it is... I'll have to ask :p
What does the non-Franklin Mint one look like? It sounds like it's covered in gold and diamonds or something.

Pokemon Monopoly changes the way doubles work. You can choose to take an extra turn, or you can forfeit the extra turn and get a special effect instead.

ones: Go anywhere an the board, if you pass Go, collect $200
twos: Collect $200
threes: $50 from each opponent
fours: Take one Community Chest card
fives: Take one Chance card
sixes: Battle someone for a set of properties.

That last one can change things in a hurry, because all the improvements are included. You could have just spent a bunch of money maxing out a monopoly, when someone steals it from under your nose. It usually doesn't make things too crazy, however, as double sixes don't come up very often and you can lose the challenge and wate the turn.

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Though honestly, if you take six hours, your group isn't very good at it. Last time I played we did it in four.
We had more than half who had never played the game before.

Toners

May 27, 2009
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:

What does the non-Franklin Mint one look like? It sounds like it's covered in gold and diamonds or something.

Pokemon Monopoly changes the way doubles work. You can choose to take an extra turn, or you can forfeit the extra turn and get a special effect instead.

That last one can change things in a hurry, because all the improvements are included. You could have just spent a bunch of money maxing out a monopoly, when someone steals it from under your nose. It usually doesn't make things too crazy, however, as double sixes don't come up very often and you can lose the challenge and wate the turn.
The pokémon version does actually sound quite interesting... The special edition one we have is like... gold leaf board with wooden trim and really intricate property detailing engraved into an outer ring... It's very pretty :p
Also the Chance, Community Chest and Property cards are all gold and silver leafed, and the Hotels and Houses are gold and silver respectively and look like ACTUAL houses and hotels... I don't know where she got it from, but she pulled it out one day to show me and my sis and we were in absolute awe. She made us wear latex gloves while playing and we couldn't eat or drink without going into the kitchen and doing it there x). Also we couldn't touch the hotels, only our cards and pieces... bearing in mind we were quite young :p

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:
Toners said:
randommaster said:

The pokémon version does actually sound quite interesting... The special edition one we have is like... gold leaf board with wooden trim and really intricate property detailing engraved into an outer ring... It's very pretty :p
Also the Chance, Community Chest and Property cards are all gold and silver leafed, and the Hotels and Houses are gold and silver respectively and look like ACTUAL houses and hotels... I don't know where she got it from, but she pulled it out one day to show me and my sis and we were in absolute awe. She made us wear latex gloves while playing and we couldn't eat or drink without going into the kitchen and doing it there x). Also we couldn't touch the hotels, only our cards and pieces... bearing in mind we were quite young :p
That sounds like the cheap version of the one made ENTIRELY from gold and various jewels. That probably sounds bad, but take it as a compliment, I bet it looks awesome.

Monopoly can be really fun when you modify the rules a bit. For example, normally the utilities are useless, but you can set it up where eacj utility gets 5% of all rent, so owning one will get you a lot of money later in the game. It changes them from crap to gold. Alchemists marvel at this.

Eric_Autopsy

May 19, 2009
Me, my brother and his girlfriend are currently playing D&D with candles placed on the board. It makes it so much better and immersive :D