British Burlesque Dancer Likes Her Wii

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
British Burlesque Dancer Likes Her Wii

Nintendo's British advertising campaign is all about real people liking their Wiis - even ladies who strut their stuff on the stage.

At first, the Nintendo Real Stories campaign was quaintly trying to appeal to the female audience in the United Kingdom. You had Helen Mirren talking about everything that she got out of playing with her Wii Fit, and reportedly getting paid a half million pounds to do it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105078-Dame-Helen-Mirren-Paid-Handsomely-for-Wii-Fit-Ads]. There was even an advertisement featuring an all-female rugby club and how they use the Wii to loosen up new members and promote togetherness. But now the marketing department at Nintendo may be trying to nab some of the male audience in Britain by featuring a burlesque dancer in the latest Wii ad.

[vimeo=18090620]

Well, I can't say that I didn't enjoy that. It was kind of cute how they combined the motherly feelings she has with her profession as a dancer. Nintendo may be trying to cater to the so-called casual market with its latest console but it sure seems to be doing something right. The Wii has sold incredibly well worldwide since it came out in 2006, with more than 7 million sold in the UK according to the commercial.

What do you think, friends from across the pond, is the Wii "Britain's favourite" as the advert suggests?

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Nintendo wii, because burlesque dancing matters?
I feel sorry for the kid in this situation.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
She be struttin that ass...

We don't have those commercials here...tbh it's pretty few console commercials, only seen commercials for either games or Natal and Move =/

[sub]yes, I call it Natal, better name then Kinect tbh[/sub]

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
These ads annoy the crap out of me. Everyone knows you have fun for a day with the Wii, then it sits under your TV gathering dust for the rest of the year.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
It's not really our favourite console. Loads of people own one, but its like a board game, it slips your mind when someone asks you what you have

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Bit of old news as this ad has been out a while and is no worse or better than any other wii advert though it is better than the JLS simulating w*nking themselves adverts (seriously watch it, it's creepy!)

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
LightspeedJack said:
These ads annoy the crap out of me. Everyone knows you have fun for a day with the Wii, then it sits under your TV gathering dust for the rest of the year.
Or you play it until you finish Twilight Princess..... Then leave it to the dust bunnies.

Oct 14, 2010
It's a little bit harder to defend Nintendo for clamoring to eliminate "Nintendo DS" from tags on nude photos when they make a Wii commercial starring a burlesque dancer...

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
Mr Companion said:
Why? Because Mom's a burlesque dancer, or because Mom's hogging the Wii?
No, because mum decided to buy a Wii instead of something less useless.
Ok jokejoke I meant the fact her mum is now internationally renowned as a burlesque dancer with confidence issues that she overcomes by making a little virtual man wiggle about.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Mr Companion said:
Nintendo wii, because burlesque dancing matters?
The kid is like 2 years old at most, I don't think it cares really.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Unfortunately our crappy little isle loves the wii .... theres way too many casual gamers in Britain to be comfortable with!

And too many 12-16 year olds who play Black Ops or Reach that think that they are the coolest people in gaming

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
If it's the favorite already then why does it need this advertising? I don't see any google advertising... wait that's not what i meant. I mean...

well fu&# it.

PS: thas's a pretty fancy titty bar.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
LightspeedJack said:
Or you play it until you finish Twilight Princess..... Then leave it to the dust bunnies.
So very worth it.

Also, people be dissing the burlesque dancers, give them a break. For one, she isn't ashamed. For two, she has a stable job with flexible hours and can look after her kid properly.
Mr Companion said:
Ok jokejoke I meant the fact her mum is now internationally renowned as a burlesque dancer with confidence issues that she overcomes by making a little virtual man wiggle about.
Or maybe it's the getting fit aspect... yes, that's definitely the obvious plausible explanation.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I think this advert appeals to men more, with its sapphic undertones and soft focusing:

That wii advert is not marketed at men, it is clearly aimed at women. The way in which the character bangs on about her figure and the importance of staying in shape (and being a good mother to her kid with a healthy routine) makes that pretty clear. If they wanted to appeal to men, they'd have a manly advert; i.e. bald guys pretending to shoot aliens on the wii and shit.

Ever notice how it is blokes in the WKD and alco-pop adverts? They are clearly aimed at men, even though no self respecting bloke would drink that shit. Advertisers don't target people who already likely to buy their product. They target those who aren't likely to buy them. If it successful, you get guys buying perfume (with manly names like "bullet" or "axe", or sell the cologne in a fist shaped bottle) or boys buying dolls (dressed as army men).

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
The Cheezy One said:
It's not really our favourite console. Loads of people own one, but its like a board game, it slips your mind when someone asks you what you have
That and you play it once at Christmas and then forget about it. My dad has one and he NEVER uses it. I went out and bought a pre-owned copy of SSBB just so I could have some fun with it.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
To be honest, Nintendo's advertising strategy is pretty terrible over here. It's the source of constant mockery in our gamer-centric student house, our personal favourite to poke fun at being the Jedward-Dragon Quest IX advert. Oh, and Ant and Dec advertising Donkey Kong Country Returns.

The only good use of a person I've sene in a Ninty ad has been Jonathan Ross in the Mario anniversary... Thing that they did. He, at least, has some geek cred.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Gawd, I still can't believe I bought a Wii when it first came out. I was so excited, I couldn't even imagine what I was thinking. That stupid brick is just sitting on a shelf collecting dust, right under her big brother Mr. PS3