Lost Numbers Hit for 9,000 in Mega Millions Lottery

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Lost Numbers Hit for 9,000 in Mega Millions Lottery

Quizzical television series Lost is responsible for a recent lottery win by thousands of people.

Lost [http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete-Collection-Jorge-Garcia/dp/B0036EH3WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294257083&sr=8-1] has provided hours upon hours of confusing entertainment for its fans, but is also now responsible for a widespread lottery win. This week's Mega Millions lottery drawing replicated Lost's prominent number set closely enough to provide 9,000 people with $150.

The numbers from Lost were a very mysterious part of the show. Hurley, played by Jorge Garcia, won $150 million in the lottery with numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42 after hearing them from someone at an insane asylum. Unfortunately, the numbers apparently curse his life. The numbers later appear in various other locations, including a strange underground facility, and other spoilerific areas of the show.

Two people hit the Mega Millions jackpot of $380 million this week, but the real story is the drawing's close relation to Lost. The numbers drawn were 4, 8, 15, 25, 47, and 42 (the bonus ball), only two off from Hurley's cursed number set. 25,587 people matched three numbers and the bonus ball, with Lost producer Damon Lindelof tweeting [http://twitter.com/DamonLindelof/status/22525941871812608] that 9,078 people played Hurley's numbers for their $150 wins.

I'm actually glad that the Lost numbers didn't fully hit, because then we'd have thousands of people bringing their bad luck all over the world. It'd also be a little too creepy for my liking. I did notice that the Lost collection is selling [http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Complete-Collection-Jorge-Garcia/dp/B0036EH3WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294257083&sr=8-1] on Amazon for $148.99 right now, just shy of $150. Were these lottery numbers pure coincidence, or a massive hoax to get people to buy DVDs? I think we've uncovered a Lost-sized conspiracy.

Source: CBS [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/05/entertainment/main7215484.shtml]

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
That's awesome. At first, I thought the numbers matched exactly and over 9000 were going to split the jackpot. Still, the fact that that many people won $150 (instead of Hurley's $150 million) and coincidentally can now purchase the Lost DVD collection is kinda cool, and a bit creepy.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
theComposer said:
That's awesome. At first, I thought the numbers matched exactly and over 9000 were going to split the jackpot. Still, the fact that that many people won $150 (instead of Hurley's $150 million) and coincidentally can now purchase the Lost DVD collection is kinda cool, and a bit creepy.
I wanted to make a comment, but, there's really nothing else to say after your post. Creepy as all hell.

May 5, 2010
As a gigantic LOST fan(I was nowhere near as unhappy with the series finale as I probably should have been. I even liked it.), this pretty much makes my day. Awesome.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If these people decide to hop on a plane from Sydney to L.A and then that plane suddenly and mysteriously drops off the radar, I will freak out.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
If this is a Lost conspiracy, we'll never know why because there will be so much crap going on they'll never answer half of the questions

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
The most I ever won in a lottery was 75 bucks, got me some beer and vidya games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
As a gigantic LOST fan(I was nowhere near as unhappy with the series finale as I probably should have been. I even liked it.), this pretty much makes my day. Awesome.
As a proper Lost fan you understood that ultimately the show was character-driven, and that the mysteries were secondary to the characters as a way of testing them and driving them through their respective arcs.

(Also, I haz theory on Walt - at least as to why he's "special", not some of the other stuff - which seems to be the biggest thing people complain about not being answered. )

OT: But Hurley isn't cursed, not really, Jacob said so!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I was wondering when this day would happen but I never expected that many people using that numbers! Also those thousand of people only getting $150 remind me of that scene from Bruce Almighty.
I wonder how long it will be till we hear about those lottery winner claim he or she is now curse for using those numbers.

May 5, 2010
Woodsey said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
As a proper Lost fan you understood that ultimately the show was character-driven, and that the mysteries were secondary to the characters as a way of testing them and driving them through their respective arcs.

(Also, I haz theory on Walt - at least as to why he's "special", not some of the other stuff - which seems to be the biggest thing people complain about not being answered. )

OT: But Hurley isn't cursed, not really, Jacob said so!
Exactly! Besides, a lot of the stuff that hear people complain about not being explained really was, just not directly. You had to put some pieces together yourself.

Walt really was a cop-out, though. I'm surprised they didn't bring him back after the whole "3 years later" thing. His age would have made sense after that!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Its over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh... a DBZ reference. No wonder I didn't get it.

Anyway that's pretty cool although I guess people should know better than to pick numbers that are popular in this way.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I, for one, will never forgive Lost for including 23, the holy number of Discordianism, and 42, the holy number of Adams fans, without explanation.

My betting strategy has consistently paid off every time. It consists of taking the money I would spend on lottery tickets and pretending I won it on the lottery. I make thousands a year.