Full-Length Machinima Thriller Developed in GTA IV Engine

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Full-Length Machinima Thriller Developed in GTA IV Engine

A filmmaker spent two years creating a 90-minute film shot entirely using the Grand Theft Auto IV engine.

French filmmaker Mathieu Weschler has created what might be the first full-length feature film developed solely using the Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045U01OG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000HKP88C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H5RBB7WMWPWXSV3HPFT] engine. Weschler's 90-minute The Trashmaster still features the model of Niko Bellic, but in a very different role.

In The Trashmaster, Niko is a garbage man that cleans his city of more than discarded banana peels and stale bagels. As the "trashmaster," Niko also spends his time as a vigilante hunting down criminals whenever they happen to cross his path as he's pumping gas.

Weschler's two years of development time on the film shows. It's not just a nice piece of machinima, but also a solid action/crime thriller that features a variety of camera angles and techniques. I'm not saying it's the next Goodfellas [http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-Fiction-Two-Disc-Collectors-Travolta/dp/B000068DBC], but The Trashmaster is an impressive feat of film making.

The Trashmaster follows Niko as he attempts to track down a serial killer that's murdering the dancers from his favorite strip club. It may become the toughest situation the "trashmaster" has to deal with yet. Now if Weschler would just make a full length version of Brothers Mario [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106145-The-Brothers-Mario-Turns-Lovable-Plumbers-Into-Sadistic-Thugs] too.

Source: Rockstar Games [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/12771/full-featurelength-film-created-with-gtaiv-the-trashmaster.html]

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Must... Resist...

NIKO! MY COUSIN!

I'll definitely take a look at this sometime. My first reaction was wondering why anyone would spend so much time on something like that, then I looked at my dozens of games, and then NIKO MY COUSIN!

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
thats kinda awesome, though the voice-acting is pretty meh, I actually was enjoying a few part for the cinematography

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Weschler's two years of development time on the film shows. It's not just a nice piece of machinima, but also a solid action/crime thriller that features a variety of camera angles and techniques. I'm not saying it's the next Goodfellas [http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-Fiction-Two-Disc-Collectors-Travolta/dp/B000068DBC], but The Trashmaster is an impressive feat of film making.
While not expecting it to be the next 'Goodfellas' or 'Pulp Fiction' I hope it is more than just another 'Death Wish' which it worryingly sounds like, doing justice to the narrative of GTA IV. Either way it sounds like an interesting idea and a new approach to independent cinema, hopefully inspiring copycat features to be made.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Damn it, everytime I have a good idea, i read about it that someone else already did it - I hate this so much - I was just thinking of putting together something like this - boom here it is - I once had the idea to organize a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. camp - with say paintball weapons, contestants would collect hidden artifacts, in exchange they would get food, ammo - so I totally had this in my head as a great idea - few weeks later, I read somewhere that in Russia they are doing this every summer ... is there not a single original idea left in this world?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
It's certainly a new take on the character. He becomes a vigilante to make it safe to enjoy big american titties. Truly an inspiration to us all. -wipes away a tear-

Inuprince said:
Damn it, everytime I have a good idea, i read about it that someone else already did it - I hate this so much - I was just thinking of putting together something like this - boom here it is - I once had the idea to organize a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. camp - with say paintball weapons, contestants would collect hidden artifacts, in exchange they would get food, ammo - so I totally had this in my head as a great idea - few weeks later, I read somewhere that in Russia they are doing this every summer ... is there not a single original idea left in this world?
Short answer; no.

Long answer; In a world of near enough seven billion people chances are there is going to be some overlap in thinking. Especially with something like gaming culture which has a fairly consistent structure from country to country.

Nov 5, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
It's still very Michael Mann-esque.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Inuprince said:
At the risk of coming across as harsh it sounds like the difference between these two people and you is that they had the self motivation to actually implemented their ideas and produce something.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Watched it and it was pretty good. Compared to the last RE movie it had a coherent story. I like the audio (not the voice acting) in which a sax player is shown playing the theme to Hardboiled, near the climax the themes of Perfect Blue is used very well and the songs were not half bad. i can honestly say it's better than anything I could have done.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
tigermilk said:
Inuprince said:
At the risk of coming across as harsh it sounds like the difference between these two people and you is that they had the self motivation to actually implemented their ideas and produce something.
Yes, this is a little harsh, but consideting that you don't know the facts I won't turn angry I would like to explain, my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. camp idea was when I was 17 ( I'm 19 and a half just today ), so this would require some funding, planning, free time etc. and as a university student that is quite a no no.
As for the GTA IV film, this idea was born about 2 weeks ago, I had started thinking about plot details, ( I even convinced my sister to do female voice-overs ) the only technical problem currently is my PC that needs to be upgraded a little bit to run the game better ( if everything goes right it will happen in March), I currently play it on the 360 - and at least I could plan it in my free time while playing... but man this is a letdown, that someone did it first. I mean I could still do my own, but I think even if I succeed, people will think, I copied this guy, I stole his idea, and compare the two, or who knows how many other people will want to do their own, after seeing this film.

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
Its very cool but not the first full length machinima film "Gmod war of the servers" is 1 hour 30 made by dudes who now work at bioware as cinematic directors :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppUl_CBuyz8

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I started watching this thinking I would find it interesting but end up losing interest and skipping through it for a minute or so, but I ended up watching the whole thing. It was very well done, as is attested to by the fact that it held my attention so long. The story and shooting were excellent, though voice acting needed some work. Overall though it felt like it could easily be transformed into an actual movie if given real cameras and actors.

It's only a shame to think that someone spent so long working on this, but it'll never be a blockbuster hit and make money. At least it'll hopefully be widely and positively received.

It also had a really good soundtrack.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
This is an amazing film, holy crap.

Lynchian synth music, Scorsese-esque introspection, cityscapes right out of a Michael Mann movie.
Truly awful voice acting aside, this is a pretty powerful little piece of cinema!

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I like the idea, but the film wasn't that great. There is lots of really well shot bits, really impressive, but the voice acting was pretty bad, some of the scenes were kinda bad and I could go on with the faults...

But there was some sort of magic there, and it got alot better towards the end. The Subway chase was particularly good. I probably won't watch it again, but I'm glad I did watch it.

I hope he (or someone else) makes more films like this.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Inuprince said:
tigermilk said:
Inuprince said:
Yes, this is a little harsh, but consideting that you don't know the facts I won't turn angry I would like to explain, my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. camp idea was when I was 17 ( I'm 19 and a half just today ), so this would require some funding, planning, free time etc. and as a university student that is quite a no no.
As for the GTA IV film, this idea was born about 2 weeks ago, I had started thinking about plot details, ( I even convinced my sister to do female voice-overs ) the only technical problem currently is my PC that needs to be upgraded a little bit to run the game better ( if everything goes right it will happen in March), I currently play it on the 360 - and at least I could plan it in my free time while playing... but man this is a letdown, that someone did it first. I mean I could still do my own, but I think even if I succeed, people will think, I copied this guy, I stole his idea, and compare the two, or who knows how many other people will want to do their own, after seeing this film.
Fuck the people who say you copied the other person. I see no reason why there can't be more than one story/film/narrative that draws upon GTA IV. To be honest if the one that the OP mentions is just a two dimensional revenge fantasy then all the more reason to do sometihng better.

Apologies if my other post sounded harsh, I too don't get off my arse and get things doen (hence the fact I have an essay deadline looming). In my opinion cinema is full of brilliant films that improve our lives and expand both the medium and our minds that are either wholly unoriginal or very clearly indebted to other films.

If you do make the film and are worried about a lack or originality or being derivative jsut pass it off as 'post-modern'. Also perhaps starting by maing a short film (as opposed to the 90 minute magnum opus allready produced) will help it feel significantly different.

As for other people now wanting to copy the person who made the film, how many of them will actually do it?

If you do make a film post it on here I would love to watch it (hopefully by then I won't have a Masters Degree film essay due in and won't be taking it out on strangers!).

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
i hope its not anything like the RDR one. all it was was random scenes stitched together. it literally made no sense was a waste of time and was not even original at all.