Buffy and the After-School Special

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
A plausible metaphor, a patient story arc, and a willingness to show consequence: Season 6 of Buffy was an after-school special at its best.
Plus it had the musical episode, which was so funny it literally hurt to watch because I was laughing so hard. And every scene with the nerds was just comedy gold - I really don't know why so many people seem to think that Season 6 sucked, heh.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Buffy and the After-School Special

Tonight, on a very special Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

Read Full Article
Bless its heart, it tries. Tried, that is.

The problem with serial TV and comic books in delivering lessons of this sort is the media themselves.

A TV series is limited by time. That means most of these issues will be resolved by epiphany, or some other quick fix. The message can be undermined by the unintentional indication that minimum effort yields maximum results when it comes to coping with life's problems. A comic book usually features a superhero. One of the reasons we're drawn to these heroes is their powers. One of the reasons we're drawn to those powers is the convenience they offer. Got a problem? Zap it with a laser and fly away at super speed.

Trying to build life lessons into that kind of escapism mixes two things that... well... probably shouldn't be mixed. You present someone with a solution, but in the context of a world chock full of quick fixes, and it could create the expectation that this solution is itself a fast-acting remedy. When that doesn't happen, the disillusioned person is less likely to believe in this solution the next time they're told it works. Unrealistic expectations lead to failure, but that failure is blamed on the perceived inefficacy of the proposed solution.

More harm than good, if there's any effect at all.

EDIT: Willow's tale worked because it took time. And because she was never truly "cured" of it. There was never a moment where you're told, "And then she was just fine, and never had to struggle again." A rare exception, but still an exception.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Oh, and as far as hitting home with messages goes, "The Body" remains one of the most powerful, moving, and chilling episodes I've seen in any TV series. It was beautifully done, and I really feel it captured the confusing mix of real emotions very effectively.

But, as this wasn't an uplifting message about dealing with loss, I know it doesn't count as an "after school special."

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
dastardly said:
Bless its heart, it tries. Tried, that is.

The problem with serial TV and comic books in delivering lessons of this sort is the media themselves.

A TV series is limited by time. That means most of these issues will be resolved by epiphany, or some other quick fix. The message can be undermined by the unintentional indication that minimum effort yields maximum results when it comes to coping with life's problems. A comic book usually features a superhero. One of the reasons we're drawn to these heroes is their powers. One of the reasons we're drawn to those powers is the convenience they offer. Got a problem? Zap it with a laser and fly away at super speed.
True, but that's exactly why season six worked so well as an "after-school special"; it took its sweet time in developing over the course of the season, and it had actual consequences. I totally agree with you, Elizabeth. Every Buffy fan seems to hate on season six, and yeah it does have its problems, but I find it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, and totally underrated in general. I think people just didn't like how completely and utterly dark it was as a whole.

I will say one thing in specific, though. Say what you will about season six, but I absolutely love how they brought Buffy back to life. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've seen a major character killed off, only to get brought back through some magical plot MacGuffin with little or no consequences at all. This happens in comics, TV shows, movies, you name it. It's all "ZOMG THIS IS SOOOOOOO SCARY AND DANGEROUS!" followed swiftly by "Phew! It worked! Boy, I didn't know if that was going to work or not, by golly! I'm sure glad everything is back to normal now!". Obviously, they had to bring her back to continue the show seeing as she's the main character and all, but they did it in such a way that it had real, lasting consequences for everyone involved (no spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched it). When she finally reveals what was going on with her, and specifically who she reveals it to...day-yum! That is good shit right there.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
It's always nice to talk about the greatest television show ever made, well in my opinion anyway. Regarding the article, I would agree completely with the analysis of Season 6 and would only add that a large part of it's success was the absolutely amazing acting from Alison Hannigan (or is it Denisoff, can't remember if she took the name).
I can see where the episode Earshot could come into this category, but that part of the episode was so small I think it was more a reason for the powers being in the episode so it didn't come across as 'that was neat, but how do we finish it?'
The episode Beauty and the Beasts, now that's a tricky one due to the shows in built mythos that implies that the slayer wouldn't be allowed to intervene with a purely human domestic because that's a mortal world problem. I would agree that it diminishes the effect of the message, but it is the only way it could have been done without relegating it to the realms of a back story. What I would add is, that it was a brave and well produced move to have Buffy completely lose respect for the victim when she realised she wasn't going to stop being the victim. Considering the female fanbase that show had, THAT was gutsy.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Yeah, I agree that Willow's tale in season 6 worked well specifically because of the time it took and the fact that she was never fully cured. The other examples, and other series that try this, are what I was taking aim at.

I enjoyed Season 6, personally. Willow's descent was convincingly done.

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
Of the 3 episodes mentioned here Earshot stands out as my favourite - it's subtle about the issues and has an interesting twist. The use of telepathy blends it all together nicely - First for picking up on the threat and secondly for how the things Buffy learnt through it helped her talk Jonathan down from killing himself.

As to the Season 6 arc about Willow's magic - started off interestingly, the build up of her using increasing amounts of magic to do even mundane tasks and manipulate the people in her life worked well.

For me though, when it got to Wrecked it was a bit too in-your-face and overly obvious about drawing comparisons between Willow's magic and drugs.

Flaming Geek

May 4, 2010
I really dislike how the "magic as drugs" metaphor was implemented because it basically erased how magic worked as set up in previous seasons. There was no hinting at addiction or possible negative consequences other than screwing it up by doing a spell that gets you killed or going crazy with the power of it. This arc, while being an excellent metaphor, was very much pulled from nothing for the season. It's my least favorite part of the series.

DeeWiz

Aug 25, 2010
Beauty and the Beasts was actually better for the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde spin. Simply because that is how most recipients of domestic abuse see it. They see their partner as the nice guy and they have to only endure this change which happens to them, which is no their fault, and thus it is the recipient?s duty to stand by them when they are going through this tough situation. It?s a very slippery physiological slope.

And as a ginormous Buffy fan Season 6 was one of its best if not the best. Willow?s addiction (which follows the pattern for all addictions not just drugs) was great. But I really loved the ?real world? aspect of it all. At the time Buffy was still shelter from the adult world through college, now she has to get a job, pay the bills, etc. It was a very good telling for the first stages of going out on your own as an adult with no safety net.

And I like how the nerds showed how simple it was to become a real-life villian, jet-packs where not required. All you needed was a murder, then to be able to get away with it... Season 6 was all about how easy it is to fall, and it showed it well, so well most people didn't even notice. Though I can understand some of the hate... *sniff* Tara *sniff*

KCL

Jan 12, 2010
This is in keeping with the supernatural nature of things in Sunnydale, but does a bit of a disservice to the episode's standing as an after-school special.
Is this what passes for critical insight these days? You apply a label to the episode that clearly doesn't fit, then criticize the episode for not fitting the label?

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
I very recently finished watching all of the episodes of Buffy streaming on Netflix. I have to say, for as cheesy as it is, it's way better than the movie.

On a side note, when I was looking through my University Catalog I found out that they teach a class completely about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the show. Struck me as kind of odd, but it fits the local culture I suppose.

Soylent Dave

Aug 31, 2010
Blaming Pete's issues partially on the chemical gives him a crutch, an excuse to wipe away the horrors of his abusive nature. Some of the manipulation and jealousy is attributed to his character, but the physical abuse is accompanied by a transformation of sorts, which removes the human face from the equation.
Alternatively, the 'very special' message of the episode wasn't just about abusive relationships, but about abusive relationships where one partner is also drinking or taking drugs - which can and do have an effect on your anger management in the real world, and are often used as a crutch and an excuse both by the addict and his victims.

Mr Hyde isn't all that far from reality.

A plausible metaphor, a patient story arc, and a willingness to show consequence: Season 6 of Buffy was an after-school special at its best.
The only problem being that the same writers previously used magic as a convenient shorthand for lesbianism - so that when Willow becomes addicted to magic, loses control and starts killing people, the lesson we are taught is "being gay makes you insane".

Compare and contrast with her reaction when Oz leaves her - she gets upset, but she doesn't flay anyone alive. And she doesn't have to spend months in rehab learning how to be a normal member of society again - because heterosexuals have normal emotions.

... I'm sure (or I hope) this isn't really the exact metaphor the writers were going for, but it is unfortunate - particularly since the 'gays are unstable' stereotype wasn't exactly new to contemporary media.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Soylent Dave said:
The only problem being that the same writers previously used magic as a convenient shorthand for lesbianism - so that when Willow becomes addicted to magic, loses control and starts killing people, the lesson we are taught is "being gay makes you insane".

Compare and contrast with her reaction when Oz leaves her - she gets upset, but she doesn't flay anyone alive.
When Oz left her she was devastated and depressed for several episodes and slowly moved on like a normal person over time (allowing for tv episode spacing). When Terra left her she really tried to get clean; note she does not try to stop loving women but tries to stop using (or abusing) magic. When Terra is murdered she flays someone alive.

This is where your analysis breaks down. When Oz left who was there to blame? Oz, and she loved him even if she was angry at him. The object of her anger was also the object of her love. When Terra was killed, something that should be noted as vastly different from taking off in a van for a while, there is someone to be angry at and to blame. This someone is not the object of her affection but someone who has been her enemy for several months. Therefore, there is nothing to hold her back.

In addition to this, several of these steps make perfect sense in relations to drugs. Someone who realizes they have a problem will often promise to get help when someone they love leaves them. They don't always do it, but for some people that is a turning point. As I said before, she attempts to get clean of the substance she abuses in order to get Terra back. In your analysis this would mean she tries to give up metaphorical lesbianism in order to get back her actual lesbian partner. Finally, after a tragedy or even a difficult time many addicts relapse. Once again, this lines up with what Willow does. The fact that her relapse includes murder can be attributed to the context of the show and the "drug" she was abusing.

I'm not sure where one would even draw a parallel between magic and lesbianism in the context of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Because she meets Terra at in an all female witches group? I would note that magic occurs often in Buffy... does it always stand for lesbianism or only in the case of two gay witches?

The Morrigan

Wharrgarble
Nov 23, 2010
Flaming Geek said:
I really dislike how the "magic as drugs" metaphor was implemented because it basically erased how magic worked as set up in previous seasons. There was no hinting at addiction or possible negative consequences other than screwing it up by doing a spell that gets you killed or going crazy with the power of it.
Actually, the potential dangerous nature of magic use is hinted at regularly throughout the show, beginning in Season 2, when Willow begins researching methods to bring Angel back, despite Giles' insistence that magic is a powerful force and she is not nearly ready to take it on, and being brought into clear view in the final episode of that season, when she is taken over by the Gypsy spell she is performing and begins speaking in Romanian. Magic-as-Drug-Use is set up more explicitly in The Dark Age, when Giles talks about the summoning spell he and his friends used to use, and describes it as "an incredible high." Then you have multiple examples of moments when Willow is considering an outright dangerous or malicious use of magic: the hatred spell she almost casts on Oz and Veruca, the episode when she considers casting an anti-love spell on herself and Xander... throughout her entire relationship with magic, you can see her teetering on the edge, like someone who does pot, and is considering taking something harder, but is still unsure, and so hovers around it, getting closer and closer to a more destructive pattern. I would argue that they actually do an excellent job of showing the potential harm of magic throughout the series, and of showing how a parental figure might recognize a potential danger to his child, but be unable to address it properly with her until it is almost too late.

CitySquirrel said:
Soylent Dave said:

Compare and contrast with her reaction when Oz leaves her - she gets upset, but she doesn't flay anyone alive.
This is where your analysis breaks down. When Oz left who was there to blame? Oz, and she loved him even if she was angry at him. The object of her anger was also the object of her love. When Terra was killed, something that should be noted as vastly different from taking off in a van for a while, there is someone to be angry at and to blame. This someone is not the object of her affection but someone who has been her enemy for several months. Therefore, there is nothing to hold her back.
Also, she does end up using magic in destructive ways when Oz leaves - remember the Something Blue episode when everything she wills begins to happen? That's the episode when D'Hoffryn offers to make her a vengeance demon. She clearly has the ability to use magic as a destructive crutch when she is upset, even in the fourth season.

Soylent Dave

Aug 31, 2010
CitySquirrel said:
Soylent Dave said:

When Terra is murdered she flays someone alive.

This is where your analysis breaks down. When Oz left who was there to blame?
Yes, someone leaving and someone being killed are a wee bit different.
Willow does go all magic addicted after Tara leaves her - but Tara leaves her because of the magic, so... swings and roundabouts I guess.

I'm not sure where one would even draw a parallel between magic and lesbianism in the context of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
The writers didn't explicitly show Willow and Tara 'being gay'; in place of the physical affection you'd normally see in a teenage relationship (even in an American TV show), they tended to perform magic spells together.

The most obvious episode with 'magic in place of sex' is during 'Once More With Feeling', but they actually do it a few times - probably because it was something they felt they could easily show which represented closeness between the two characters, but didn't set off any alarm bells with the network censors (or whoever).

The Morrigan said:
Also, she does end up using magic in destructive ways when Oz leaves - remember the Something Blue episode when everything she wills begins to happen? That's the episode when D'Hoffryn offers to make her a vengeance demon. She clearly has the ability to use magic as a destructive crutch when she is upset, even in the fourth season.
Forgot about that. It is portrayed as an accident, though.

-

It's also worth noting that Evil Vampire Willow is explicitly gay as well - which means that the only gay characters in the series are evil or unstable (apart from Kennedy, but she's not exactly the most rounded character), or victims (and generally only people who 'deserve it' get killed thanks to TV morality - in Tara's case I think she dies because Willow needed punishing, but it's along the same lines (rather than just for being gay, which you'd get in some older horror films)).

It was a common enough thing to do in the 90s (and today for that matter) - bad people have to be sexually degenerate as well murderers or drug addicts or whatever; that's why they're often gay, bisexual, BDSM etc. etc. - things that are or were considered degenerate behaviour.

Really, even if we ignore the magic side of things entirely 'gay character becomes drug addict' is enough of a cliché. I don't think the Buffy writers were as egregious as most, but I was still a little disappointed (at the stereotype non-avoidance).

Hawaiigm

Apr 11, 2008
I actually felt the season six "Magic is a metaphor for drugs" thing was kind of weird. Sure, magic can be used as an allegory for drugs, but in Buffy they used it too literally.

For one thing, the fact that Willow and Amy are the only witches/sorcerers on the show with this magic problem (a problem that Amy didn't seem to have before she became a rat but whatever) shows that magic can be used without detrimental effect, so the solution of "Willow must stop using all magic evar!" seems out of place.

For another, magic is useful. Most harmful drugs are not. Willow's magic has saved the characters, not to mention the world, on multiple occasions. So again, telling Willow to completely swear off magic forever seems like a bad idea as it is likely to get her killed.

Really, the Willow magic thing is more like a metaphor for a cancer patient abusing their pain killers. Sure, they probably shouldn't be doing that and its harmful, but you would never tell them to just completely stop using them.