GOG Arrests Zork as Accessory to Police Quest

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GOG Arrests Zork as Accessory to Police Quest

Good Old Games has announced the triumphant releases of both Zork and Police Quest.

Last week, Good Old Games was hiding something related to Zork behind police tape [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106951-Good-Old-Games-Hiding-Zork-Behind-Police-Tape] as a tease. The tease's purpose has been revealed by GOG's official announcement of a Zork Anthology release, but with it comes another series that makes a whole lot of sense based on that tape.

GOG's tease was apparently a two-for-one, as that police tape wasn't just ensuring that citizens stay away from Zork. It was also referring to GOG's release of a Police Quest collection, which was also just announced.

As the most popular text adventures in videogame history, the Zork games should need no introduction. For a measly $5.99, GOG's Zork Anthology includes Zork, Zork II, Zork III, Beyond Zork, and Zork Zero. It also throws in Planetfall for good measure, a sci-fi text adventure written by Steve Meretzky that follows an Ensign on a starship.

The Police Quest collection includes Police Quest, Police Quest 2, Police Quest 3, and Police Quest 4 for $9.99. All are similar to classic Sierra graphical adventure games such as Space Quest [http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Quest-Collection-Game-Pack-Pc/dp/B000ZN6MHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295374741&sr=8-2], but with a real world twist. The Police Quest games offer crime-based storylines with realistic characters, and were even designed with the help of actual top cops.

The mix of Zork with Police Quest is kind of like a chicken sandwich topped with a burger. Nobody knows why the two were put together, but hey, why not enjoy both at the same time?

Source: Zork Anthology [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/police_quest_1_2_3_4]

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Hey, the original article called it! Good job!

I've always wanted to buy something off GOG but I've never found anything particularly exciting there...guess it's just me.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the first three or so Zork games downloadable off the original publisher's website as freeware? Or am I thinking of something else?
Regardless, this is good news. GoG is a great service, and it's good to see their catalogue is still expanding with great titles.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Planetfall was 1/2 my hopes for additional games with the Zorks. With the link to the HHGTTG games hosted at the BBC, all buttons have been pushed on my nostalgia box.

I'll need a new box of wipes now...

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
It is very dark in the underground drug lab.

You are likley to be eaten by a grue.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I had Zork 3 at one point in my life. I sucked royally, as I couldn't even get passed the first area. Could just go in circles until someone eventually killed me.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Beltom said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the first three or so Zork games downloadable off the original publisher's website as freeware? Or am I thinking of something else?
Yeah. The website you're thinking of isn't the original publisher's website.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Good set of releases, but I doubt I'll buy either of these. Truthfully I've never been a fan of "Police Quest". I am sort of hoping we'll see a release of "Quest For Glory" (including Dragon Fire) at some point though.

Still, I'm sure a lot of people will have fun with these. I played Zork a lot on the old Commodore 64, and even read some of the old "choose your own adventure" style game books based on it. I doubt I could go back to it, but it's cool they decided to release these, especially after "Black Ops." had the first one hidden as an easter egg apparently. :)

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
can play Zork 1 on black ops, also my game development teacher gave me a link to a website that legally gives the game out for free. not sure on the sequels though.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I don't care if some of those zorks are available free - this is in my cart NOW! Nice!

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Beltom said:
Yeah. The website you're thinking of isn't the original publisher's website.
Ahh, right, thanks for the correction.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
tomtom94 said:
I've always wanted to buy something off GOG but I've never found anything particularly exciting there...guess it's just me.
What sort of games are you into?

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
Wow, I've been playing Police Quest 1 (non-VGA remake), and all the rest of the original sierra classics on my Windows 7 OS for a couple years now for free. I have all the Zorks, but I never play those. I wonder how I did it?

Support new developments, not old ones. I bought those games in the 80s. Why should I have to buy them again? Just because jamming a 5 1/4 inch disk into my DVD-RW doesn't seem to produce anything, I should have to go out and pay more money? That wasn't in the original terms of the deal when I plunked down the change in the 80s...

This truth can also be applied to all the VHS movies, vinyl and cassette tapes I own.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
which version of Police Quest is in this bundle? I never played the original parser version, but only the icon driven remake. Might be fun to try the original.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Sadly, I'm not interested on both of these games, but apparently they're getting quite a nice warm welcome.
If they were my type of games, I'd buy them on a blink of an eye.