GOG Arrests Zork as Accessory to Police Quest

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
pacati said:
Wow, I've been playing Police Quest 1 (non-VGA remake), and all the rest of the original sierra classics on my Windows 7 OS for a couple years now for free. I have all the Zorks, but I never play those. I wonder how I did it?

Support new developments, not old ones. I bought those games in the 80s. Why should I have to buy them again? Just because jamming a 5 1/4 inch disk into my DVD-RW doesn't seem to produce anything, I should have to go out and pay more money? That wasn't in the original terms of the deal when I plunked down the change in the 80s...

This truth can also be applied to all the VHS movies, vinyl and cassette tapes I own.
Yes, but...not all of us actually owned the games we played tantalising portions of at our friends' houses. Additionally, the games we did own didn't always survive the process of growing up and cleaning house.

It's great for you that you have such a collection and (presumably, otherwise they're just retro coasters) the hardware to play it on. I mean this genuinely. I also agree that one shouldn't invest too much time in looking backwards, not forwards.

But really, given how expensive games are generally, $15 for a bunch of classics that you loved and have missed isn't going to prevent gamers from buying new releases. Spare a thought for those of us less fortunate in our nostalgia collections ;-)

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
Hopefully this is not a stupid question..... but..... have these games been modified so that they run on modern day PCs?
(so I can play them on my Laptop with Vista....)

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
justnotcricket said:
Yes, but...not all of us actually owned the games we played tantalising portions of at our friends' houses. Additionally, the games we did own didn't always survive the process of growing up and cleaning house.

It's great for you that you have such a collection and (presumably, otherwise they're just retro coasters) the hardware to play it on. I mean this genuinely. I also agree that one shouldn't invest too much time in looking backwards, not forwards.

But really, given how expensive games are generally, $15 for a bunch of classics that you loved and have missed isn't going to prevent gamers from buying new releases. Spare a thought for those of us less fortunate in our nostalgia collections ;-)
Well I don't have the hardware to run them in their original format, that was part of the point. I use Windows 7 and they play on that fine. For free. It's called DosBox and AppleWin.

But you do have a point for people who didn't actually buy the games back in the 80s.

HOWEVER, there is yet another point... No doubt these new releases of the old games are along the lines of Ultima Collection and Sierra Collection box sets. They're coded to work with a modern OS, but what the "modern OS" is keeps changing. Will GOG release patches until the end of time? When you use DosBox or Applewin, they always keep current. Just a thought.