214: Home Alone

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
my biggest problem with Home is the baffling decision to implement scarcity. It's a virtual space, which is supposed to mean infinite possibility. Why then must I WAIT AROUND, standing there like the mannequin I am, because all the FAKE BOWLING LANES are occupied? It makes no sense at all, and I see it purely as a middle finger to the players.

Home in general is one of those ideas that sounded great at the table during the pitch-meeting, because no one takes into consideration the fact that the internet is filled with awful, awful excuses for human beings.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Oh, there I was thinking I was missing out on Home...

Well done by the way, an interesting social experiment haha.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This was sad and hilarious all at the same time.
A true dark comedy.

Well written, great descriptors, truly a good read.
Well done.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Really, you're going to find assholes and such everywhere on the internet, I guess you just got unlucky with it.

Personally, I like HOME for what it is. I haven't met many jerks online personally, and it's a good way to socialize and just have a good time. Of course, it could improve drastically in some areas, the fucking things has to download EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' THING!@!, but I still enjoy it whenever I get on.

By the way, L1 is quick chat ;)

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
Stories like this doesn't help the sterotypical 'console gamer'. Granted PS3 is a few hurdles better than Xbox Live in terms of people being polite, but you know damn well that there's more pricks out there than the nice guys.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Great article. It's both a sad testament to the failure of Home as a new social medium, and a hilarious look at the debachuery that exists in social circles largely dominated by sexually-insecure teenage males.

I hope to see more articles from you, John Tesh. ;)

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
A sad piece. Quite melancholy with brief intersperses of comedy...

...And yet, quite true. Hamstrung by the lack of content and difficult controls, Home is a sort of haven for 'casual' gamers, Killzone freaks who decide to use their PS3 to its full extent - and therefore play on Home. Within Home, these people do not see the place as somewhere to hang out, enjoy themselves with like-minded people, but as a place where the shunned can congregate like the disheveled losers the freaks perceive them as.

So the freaks point and laugh, exclaiming as they insult you 'because i can' and 'because its fun to insult others'. Why? I guess that's up to them to explain why they take pleasure from the misery of others.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
:( That's really sad.

I've always preferred gaming with real life friends, but I wouldn't be averse to making new online friends... if they weren't outnumbered by douches like the ones you found. :(

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Ugh, Home. I remember that surreal night when I decided to try it out. The European version is truly a sight to behold. Mostly British 12 year olds spouting homophobic and racial slurs. Had an interesting chat with one guy but even that ended with him hitting on me... And I was never seen since.

saintchristopher said:
Home in general is one of those ideas that sounded great at the table during the pitch-meeting, because no one takes into consideration the fact that the internet is filled with awful, awful excuses for human beings.
It's always the same.
-"Get together with friends and plan your EPIC gaming sessions"

-"Make new friends and have loads of fun happy times!"

Reality:
-"Get fag bashed by lactchkey kids while realizing why none of your real friends own a PS3"

-"Desperately try to figure out how to type a response to SHOOT_KILL_DESTROY1745 to tell him that you don't, in fact like it in the arse"