Man Kidnaps, Ransoms His Son-in-Law for an Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Man Kidnaps, Ransoms His Son-in-Law for an Xbox 360

A Tennessee man is facing charges after kidnapping and beating his son-in-law, and then ransoming him for an Xbox 360.

Joshua Seal of Kingsport, TN., and co-worker Bradley Marshall were unhappy about allegations that Seal's son-in-law, Allen Begley, who also works for Seal's flooring business, had stolen $245 worth of jewelery from a job site. So they did the obvious thing: they tricked Begley with a story about needing help to move a saw, then locked him in the building and laid a whoopin' on him.

Begley eventually convinced the pair that he didn't have the money and began calling friends and family in an attempt to raise the ransom. After getting hold of his mother, Linda Begley, Seal told her that he'd already "blackened Begley's eye" and that it would get a whole lot worse if somebody didn't come up with the cash. She then spoke to a neighbor who suggested they trade his Xbox 360, which they valued at between $400 and $500, for his release.

The deal was done at a local convenience store and Begley was released. Shockingly, he later called the police, who arrested both men. Seal and Marshall are now facing charges of Especially Aggravated Kidnapping.

Source: TriCities.com [http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/jan/24/kingsport-man-allegedly-kidnaps-and-assaults-son-l-ar-795317/]

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
All they need is to die and we have the winner for the 2011 Darwin Awards.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
The obvious course of action when your son-in-law has committed a crime, commit a bigger one!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
What is this I don't even.

But seriously, is "Especially Aggravated Kidnapping" a real thing? I mean, I know that "aggravated" is a legitimate qualifier when describing criminal acts ('aggravated assault' for instance), but especially? Certainly fits though!

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Yeah, definitely weird, confusing and bizarre. Is this where you start making southern hick jokes?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Shycte said:
NO, just no. yes, what these men did was stupid, but Darwin awards go to people who are much, much more stupid. I'm sorry, but this isn't even in the same league as bungee-jumping with a chain instead of a bungee cord, or repositioning lion cubs while on safari for a better photo op, or kicking a bear in the crotch to decide if it is male or not.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:

But seriously, is "Especially Aggravated Kidnapping" a real thing? I mean, I know that "aggravated" is a legitimate qualifier when describing criminal acts ('aggravated assault' for instance), but especially? Certainly fits though!
probably not. I'm guessing that there is at least a 50% chance that this is a fake news story.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
While the story was amusing I think this is what stood out:

She then spoke to a neighbor who suggested they trade his Xbox 360, which they valued at between $400 and $500, for his release.
Aren't the most expensive Xboxes worth only $300 or so when they're new? Either way, it was more than they wanted but these guys still got ripped off.

I can't wait for this to be twisted and video games are blamed.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Actually, there <a href=http://www.tncrimlaw.com/TPI_Crim/08_03.htm>is such a thing.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Shycte said:
NO, just no. yes, what these men did was stupid, but Darwin awards go to people who are much, much more stupid. I'm sorry, but this isn't even in the same league as bungee-jumping with a chain instead of a bungee cord, or repositioning lion cubs while on safari for a better photo op, or kicking a bear in the crotch to decide if it is male or not.
I have to agree with this.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Fronzel said:
spartan231490 said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:

probably not. I'm guessing that there is at least a 50% chance that this is a fake news story.
No, try googling it. It's a legit Tennessee law thing.

this [http://www.joebakerlaw.com/kidnapping-false-imprisonment.html] explains the definitions of kidnapping, aggravated kidnapping, and especially aggravated kidnapping in Tennessee.
Good sir, thou hast been <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.260263-Man-Kidnaps-Ransoms-His-Son-in-Law-for-an-Xbox-360#9828372>ninjaed.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:

It becomes aggravated the moment physical harm is committed, for example if I point a gun at you and say get into the car then I am kidnapping you ( and using a deadly weapon so that has other charges but let's stay on point) but while kidnapping you I smack you with the gun it becomes aggravated kidnapping and perhaps assault with a deadly weapon.

Joepow

Jan 10, 2011
spartan231490 said:
Shycte said:
Please tell me that these examples are imaginary.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Rigs83 said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:

It becomes aggravated the moment physical harm is committed, for example if I point a gun at you and say get into the car then I am kidnapping you ( and using a deadly weapon so that has other charges but let's stay on point) but while kidnapping you I smack you with the gun it becomes aggravated kidnapping and perhaps assault with a deadly weapon.
Right, I get that - I was just curious what would constitute especially aggravated kidnapping; it strikes me as kind of a funny way to classify things, but it's evidently a real thing and not the (partial) joke I thought it might have been.