YouTube Ineptitude Led to New Mortal Kombat Webseries

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
YouTube Ineptitude Led to New Mortal Kombat Webseries

If it weren't for Kevin Tancharoen's misunderstanding of YouTube, Mortal Kombat: Rebirth may have remained hidden from the public eye forever.

The public release of the mystery live-action becoming a webseries [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0J998/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1296581809&sr=8-3], was a surprise even to its director Kevin Tancharoen. It's not that somebody stole the footage for Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and uploaded it online, but that Tancharoen put it on YouTube and forgot to set a private flag.

Tancharoen recently talked to Gamasutra where he revealed that this small mistake led to his new official association with the Mortal Kombat franchise. "I am not the most technically savvy YouTube person," Tancharoen said.

Rebirth wasn't even done yet, but was exposed to the world when Tancharoen only wanted to share it with a friend. The friend suggested a private YouTube page, which Tancharoen didn't setup properly. The next thing he knew, it was all over the internet.

"Thank god people liked it, because it could have gone really bad," he added. Tancharoen hadn't properly secured certain rights yet, so the accidental release could have been a disaster.

Because everyone and their first-cousin liked the short film, Rebirth's actors are in negotiations to star in the upcoming 9-episode webseries. Tancharoen revealed that each episode will be 7-10 minutes long and will cover the history of Mortal Kombat's characters. Warner Bros. will likely put the webseries on iTunes, but hasn't made a final decision about how it'll be released.

Tancharoen is happy he's been given the chance to expand his vision for Mortal Kombat, but still hopes that Rebirth will lead to a new major motion picture. "I would love to tell the stories that lead the character up to a certain point, then have them merge together in a big 3D movie," he said. I hope it happens too. It would be like Scorpion's spear were actually going into your forehead.

Source: Gamasutra [http://gamasutra.com/view/news/32667/Interview_Tancharoen_On_Mortal_Kombats_Sudden_Screen_Rebirth.php]

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
I just hope WB will have enough faith in the franchise to make it a hard-R rated movie instead of a cheap pg-13 cashin.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Could he get sued by Warner Bro's for copyright infringement?

That would be.....interesting.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
vrbtny said:
Could he get sued by Warner Bro's for copyright infringement?

That would be.....interesting.
He could of, but it sounds like he has the rights issue fixed.

OT: Since Warner Brothers seam to be the first study to actually put money into video games, maybe they will learn a thing or to on how to make good movies out of them from this series :)

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Because everyone and their first-cousin liked the short film...
Uh, no. I detested this thing the second I saw it, and I still have a seething hatred against it.

I'm not watching the mini-series, and frankly, I would rather see it die before it's done.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I loved that video, back then I thought it was way much, much better than the actual films combined and I still think it does. I can't wait to see the finished webseries and I hope a full lenght movie, and in 3D no less, is made from this.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
For a fan project it looks like he plunked down some serious scratch. I mean that is Michael Jai White as Jax is it not?

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
AgentBJ09 said:
Tom Goldman said:
Uh, no. I detested this thing the second I saw it, and I still have a seething hatred against it.

I'm not watching the mini-series, and frankly, I would rather see it die before it's done.
I love all the raging fanboys about this adaptation. Keep raging! It's hilarious.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
AgentBJ09 said:
Tom Goldman said:

Same. I don't even like MK that much, but I just thought the whole thing was awful.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
They should premier it on youtube where the interest began not frickin itunes...then again knowing warners they'd only region lock it if they did put it on youtube so not like i'd get to watch it anyway...as for a 3d movie no thanks just make it in standard def since 3d is a pointless fad and with how dark the promo vid was you wouldnt be able to see anything if it were in 3d(since i doubt warners would pay for it to be filmed in 3d and would just filter it like clash of the titans).

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
AgentBJ09 said:
Tom Goldman said:

I don't hate it or anything, but I never saw the point of it as an interpretation of Mortal Kombat.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
I hope it happens too. It would be like Scorpion's spear were actually going into your forehead.
I think you'd just see the entire audience jerk forwards as Scorpion pulls back to the sound of GET OVER HERE. Hopefully it'll be pretty epic.
AgentBJ09 said:
Tom Goldman said:

Really? Why? (Not trying to be a dick about it, just genuinely interested is all.)

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
broken-serenity said:
They should premier it on youtube where the interest began not frickin itunes...then again knowing warners they'd only region lock it if they did put it on youtube so not like i'd get to watch it anyway...as for a 3d movie no thanks just make it in standard def since 3d is a pointless fad and with how dark the promo vid was you wouldnt be able to see anything if it were in 3d(since i doubt warners would pay for it to be filmed in 3d and would just filter it like clash of the titans).
Regionlock just means you get to view it from a US proxy. ;)

Still, I actually like the more believable remake...

Although Reptile's eating habits was on for too long...