Japanese Mag Claims PlayStation 3 Was the Best Platform in 2010

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Japanese Mag Claims PlayStation 3 Was the Best Platform in 2010

Compiling the review scores of 516 games by Japanese magazine Famitsu last year revealed that more PlayStation 3 games scored well than any other platform.

There were a lot of games to review in 2010 if you count handhelds like the PSP and Nintendo DS, as well as the big three consoles: PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Famitsu went through all the 516 reviews it published in 2010 and counted how many from each platform received a "Silver Award" from the magazine, or 30 out of a possible 40. Sony's PlayStation 3 led the pack with 77 of 103 or 74.7 percent of its games garnering a Silver award, followed by 65 out of 97 Xbox 360 games (67 percent), and the worst of the big three, the Wii with 27 out of 43 (62.7 percent).

Handheld games were reviewed even more harshly by Famitsu, but the two Japanese game companies were flip-flopped. 58 of 117 (49 percent) Nintendo's DS games got a 30 out of 40 review, while only 43 percent of Sony's PSP 130 games scored as well.

What platform do you think had the best games of 2010? Was the PlayStation 3 library as successful as Famitsu makes it out to be? These numbers don't make any judgement as to a particular game's impact either. Do you think having one or two innovative or standout games like Heavy Rain or God of War 3 means more than having a higher percentage of generally good titles like you could argue for the Xbox 360?

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/official-ps3-software-library-2010]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Maybe in Japan the PS3 was the king of the hill last year, but over here things seemed a bit more even (to me at least).

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
WHAT?!?!

A Japanese system wins Best Platform by a Japanese Magazine?!?

I am shocked and appalled!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Tim Latshaw said:
I wonder how many of the games counted actually made it outside of Japan.
Ninja'ed.

That and Japan hates Microsoft. Can't think why. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SarcasmMode]

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Meh, it's all opinion, though I'd say that this Japanese magazine does have bias on the subject.

I thought it was pretty even, myself.

olfelix

May 14, 2010
Having all three systems, I have to say our 360s get most of the attention. Taking last year into account we played two games on the PS3 (GOW3 and Boarderlands) as opposed to nearly 10 on the Xbox (Darksiders, Bayonetta, ME2, Dragon Age, Red Dead Redeption, Transformers WFC, Lego Indiana Jones 2, Shadow Complex), I don't recall buying a single title for the Wii.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Ha..... in North America you would get so much shit for showing this amount of nationalism. These people are rediculous.

Not that I care or anything 8) Just a simple gaijin here, nothing to see.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Didn't Famitsu give Final Fantasy XIII a 39/40? Their word has become meaningless in the past few years.

P.S. Thanks

THE_NAMSU

Jan 1, 2011
This guy does seem to be a bit biased, but it's not like all of you aren't in the west =/. I thought PS3 went great last year and would have been better if killzone 3 and littlebigplanet 2 weren't delayed from september till 2011.
I think PS3 and xbox were close in 2010, idk if ps3 was better though (better than years before though)

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I think its a reasonable claim. PS3 started with crazy, hard to develop for hardware. They had nothing for a while, then a huge boom when development cycles started to finish up. Now, the consoles are about even. I think that 2009 was a clear win for the PS3, and while Im not sure I could call between the 2 for 2010, saying PS3 won is a pretty reasonable call, even without any fanboyism.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sorry, have to say it, no mention of the PC?
I thought this too, as a big PC player, but Ive kinda given up on there being a meaningful comparison between a bunch of consoles and PC. PCs are just too different. Mods, community, casual/social games, innovative indie games, not to mention PC gets a lot of, "Exclusives". that totally mess up the "Exclusive" math for determining which console has the advantage, and very fundamental differences regarding controls makes it so personal preference trumps any meaningful discussion. Way I see it, Consoles have the big an impressive numbers and sales, PC is the test zone where the best of the new ideas are invented.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
With the best games on the system mostly being western...

Seriously, the only Japanese games off the top of my head are MGS4 and Demon's Souls (both also being less "Japanese" than most of their games").

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Good for the PS3 I guess, really though all the consoles did well last year.

The way I see it and keep in mind this is just my observation:

360: did exceptionally well thanks to Kinect and a constant stream of great games.
PS3: sold very well with its exclusives and.... thats all I got.
Wii: had troubles but its exclusives proved once again that the Wii can have great games.
PC: wow, did they do very well. Most of it came from the tidal wave of inde games and social games.
DS: Always does great and last year is no different.
PSP: Still slightly struggling, but its still doing well.
iPhone(yes I'm counting it): Done surprisingly well. Sure its nowhere near as big as the other consoles, but it has shown that it can support wonderful games.(and for cheap)

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Does Famitsu even review PC games? I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Anyways I'm gonna have to agree with Famitsu, I can't think of anything on the 360 that I wanted to play that came out last year that wasn't on the PC or PS3. Maybe Halo Reach but its not like I cant go over to a friends house and spend a day playing it there.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Mind you, the ps3 has less games on it and the ones that do appear on it tend to be at a higher quality due to the production costs and whatnot. So if their talking percentages, then I could see the ps3 winning, its just that the other consoles also had a lot of crap games that brought down the good ones.

Also, for those wondering, Famitsu doesn't do a lot of PC games or reviews, so I don't think they counted them in this poll at all.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Covarr said:
Didn't Famitsu give Final Fantasy XIII a 39/40? Their word has become meaningless in the past few years.

P.S. Thanks
Using your opinion of a game as a basis to discredit a magazine is hardly an argument. 39/40 may be a little generous, but the game isn't THAT bad.
It really, really is. I'm sorry, but I don't see how any gaming magazine, it presumably being run by a group of editors, all experienced in the industry from which we would take the mean of their opinions, could give that game more than a 30/40, being very very generous. One or two people could love it, but as a gaming property it is just poor. Compared to other FF titles it brings very little new and doesn't do anything that well.