Capcom Shows Off First Downloadable Costumes for MvC 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Shows Off First Downloadable Costumes for MvC 3

If you'd prefer to see Captain America's hair, or not to see Ryu's feet in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-vs-Capcom-Worlds-Playstation-3/dp/B003IEBO9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297775790&sr=8-1], Capcom will soon have you covered.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 only came out in North America today, but Capcom is already looking towards the future with a batch of new DLC designed to make your fighter of choice look extra dapper. The pack, which will be available from March 1st, contains costumes for Thor, Captain America and Iron Man on the Marvel side, and Dante, Chris Redfield and Ryu on the Capcom side.

[gallery=126]

Some of the costumes are "classic" looks, like Ryu's outfit from the very first Street Fighter, back when he sported charming red pumps, or Thor's original, Jack Kirby costume. Others are alternate costumes for the characters, like Dante's impression of his father from Devil May Cry 3, or Captain America's costume from the Steve Rogers: Secret Agent comic book miniseries.

For Iron Man, the costume actually represents a completely different character. The red, white and blue armor is actually that of Iron Patriot, the "heroic" alter-ego of Norman Osborne - more commonly known as the Green Goblin - who headed up a new team of Avengers following the Secret Invasion story arc.

The pack will cost five dollars on PSN, or 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live. March 1st is also the same day that the Shadow Mode DLC - which lets you fight against bots designed to fight like the developers - becomes available.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2011/02/14/marvel_vs._capcom_3_media_explosion]

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Uh-huh. Stay classy, Capcom. Playing in the Legendary Dark Knight costume isn't enough for me to spend five dollars. Though if they make the Devil May Cry 1 outfit available, I can't guarantee I won't make a purchase (of DLC; I already ordered the game).

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
While it's pretty cool to see classic Thor in there, I'm not supportive of DLC for costumes, only. There needs to be something else included to sweeten the pot. Something more tangible.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err why did they give Ryu red hair and red shoes as the alternative costume? I can get that they were using Thor classic costume, Iron Man using the Iron Patriot Costume and Captain America using his current costume in the comic (I'm not sure about Dante costume since I don't play that game).

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
So we won't be getting the full game?
Will be interesting whether the costumes will be on the disk like the Street Fighter 4 ones or if they remember to remove the costumes from the game first this time.
Wouldn't be so cynical if capcom wouldn't have the worst track record of them all.
The Resident Evil 5 dlc was a new mode that was already on the disc but locked unless you payed a "get the full game " fee.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
The only DLC that will matter to me is the one where they finally get Megaman X, Pheonix Wright, and Strider in the damn game.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
Technicolor said:
The only DLC that will matter to me is the one where they finally get Megaman X, Pheonix Wright, and Strider in the damn game.
couldn't have said it better myself

strider main and sweating...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
$5? What's that, like £3?

FOR CHARACTER SKINS?

If you buy this, I will slap you.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Err why did they give Ryu red hair and red shoes as the alternative costume? I can get that they were using Thor classic costume, Iron Man using the Iron Patriot Costume and Captain America using his current costume in the comic (I'm not sure about Dante costume since I don't play that game).
While I imagine that you don't care about it, Dante's alternate costume reflects the appearance of his father.

As for Ryu, this costume reflects his appearance in the first Street Fighter; an interesting choice of references to say the least, given that not many people really remember that there was indeed a Street Fighter before Street Fighter II.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Holy shit, the (original) red-headed Ryu! I thought I'd never see that in three dimensions.

Now if only someone would make an alternate costume for Vega in SSFIV that makes him look like Geki [http://images.wikia.com/streetfighter/images/4/4a/GekiSF.jpg]...

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Glad to see people are rebelling against this type of shenanigans. Granted, I've discovered long ago that I don't have the twitch reflexes required for fighting games, but this DLC stuff has gotta stop. I honestly think I'm more annoyed by DLC than DRM.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow...What?

No. No, Capcom, just no.

I don't even like most of those costumes, which is great synergy with the fact that I have no plans on padding their coffers with money for them I guess.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Really Capcom? You couldn't have waited a little longer to announce this? Announcing Jill and Shuma months before the game even came out was a stretch, but announcing new skins on release day of the game is going to generate a lot of backlash. I'm not interested in those costumes anyway(unless they release Jill's S.T.A.R.S. costume), I would rather see what other characters they're going to add to the roster.(X would be nice, and now they have time to make Silver Surfer's board work with the game... hopefully.)

EDIT

And those costumes better not already be on the disk; or any of the DLC for that matter.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Now I may be way off in saying this and I know it will be a stab at the hearts of fighting game fans and the devs. These games aren't big enough value wise to cut corners and have dlc.

I may be belittling them a bit, but I don't see how a 3d on a 2d plane fighting game could be as hard to make as any current gen fps or rpg. The content isn't there there are throngs of fighters with skill sets, but this is no different, than throngs of Ai's and weapon models etc.

I just don't see why they aren't whoring themselves out to get into the hands of broader consumers these pulled add ons don't make sense to me. MvC2 was fun sure, I wouldn't pay full price for it. MvC3 will be fun, I wouldn't pay top price for it, its like for me no matter how hard they try the 3d/2d fighting genre will always just be arcade tier gaming.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Woodsey said:
$5? What's that, like £3?

FOR CHARACTER SKINS?

If you buy this, I will slap you.
then slap me. :D

its the only skin pack i will ever buy just because Sparda is in it, wonder if the devil trigger will change as well?