216: A Persistence of RAM

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Day and night cycles are simple and effective, but one need look no further than to the Ultima series to appreciate the immersion created by simulated time. Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (1987) was a fully realized, living, breathing world that trumps even Oblivion's best efforts. Everybody ran about their daily lives, working, eating, sleeping and it just felt like you were actually exploring a believable world that functioned without you.

In an age where it's too expensive to create 3D models and animations of every possible situation, Ultima V showed a glimpse of how restrictive today's graphics barrier can be.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Man, my main experience relating to this is that I played LoZ: OoT three times and each and every one of those three times the doors to the castle closed just as I walked up to them. It had to have been deliberate.

I'll also agree with, um, someone up there; I think Majora's Mask concept was awesome, and wish more games would play along with it.

As to the thoughts that this feature can either make or break a game; well, it can be well used or it can be poorly used. If it's poorly used, it only means that the graphics will change every so often and the stores will be closed, so you end up waiting around for long swathes of real-life time unable to do whatever you wanted to. I'd say what makes a good time-passage is simple: either the ability to move the time forward or having different events take place at night, unlike the unoriginal 'shops closed, enemies stronger' cliché - preferrably, both at once. OoT had both, so it's a very loved game. The problem are games who are aware of what the passage of time is but haven't got a very good idea of what it's for (or think it's just an excuse for showing off their pretty sunsets).

I wouldn't complain about Fallout 3 because it had a button that lets you skip up to 24 hours - it doesn't get much easier than that. Although I usually found a place to sleep.

Krumm said:
Kwil said:
But.. "Having indications of time in your game helps people get involved"? How does that relate to RAM or persistance?
A Persistence of RAM
as in
The Persistence of Memory
as in
That melty clock painting by Salvidor Dali
It's a good thing I've posted an image macro on the Escapist last week and keep myself on a very strict limit on them, because if not I would certainly post a giant facepalm picture right now.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Two Pages to say "Games have time in them."

Am I the only one that felt the article went absolutely no where, like it cut off halfway through? It covered the past, the not so distant past and... that was it... we missed out on the present and the future of what the author thought could be possible and where developers could take the time mechanic next.

It could have been a really interesting article, but it just feels... incomplete.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Void(null) said:
Two Pages to say "Games have time in them."

Am I the only one that felt the article went absolutely no where, like it cut off halfway through? It covered the past, the not so distant past and... that was it... we missed out on the present and the future of what the author thought could be possible and where developers could take the time mechanic next.

It could have been a really interesting article, but it just feels... incomplete.
Perhaps Klutz run out of time...

OT; Ahh harvest moon so much of my real life time was wasted on that game. Every morning I'd wake up and collect the various natural resources, then go and find the digital sweetheart of my dreams (I always picked the chick with pink hair) I'd time my route through the day intercepted her at some point so I could lavish her with gifts(Pinky would accept weeds as gifts which was always cheaper). The gifts were so she'd eventually fall for the stunning farmer that was myself, over the days and seasons I'd watched as it turned from black, to purple, to blue, to green, to yellow and finally red then she'd be mine to wed. Crops were planted so I could acquire maximum profit each month and none would be wasted. And if you spent enough time in the game you'd here the pitter patter of little feet annoucing the arrival of your child (who unfortunately didn't inherit your wive's pink hair)

UndrDog

Aug 29, 2008
I remember being blown away by Daggerfall's time charting. Day into night. Days into weeks. Weeks into months. Months into seasons. Seasons into years. This was back in '95 I believe. Maybe the 3D game to have time flow. Probably the first game to have this much time calculation. Not sure if Arena (the game before Daggerfall) had this sort of timeflow.

olicon

May 8, 2008
I think the discussion about how time is used in game can never be complete without mentioning of Japanese life simulation games. They are always tied intricately to time limit, and that lends quite a bit of urgency to the game play.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I thought this article was going to be more than just a glorified list of every game to have time based elements in it.
Jokes on me.
I am the only one who noticed the lack of substance here?