Dante's Inferno (Not Really) Protested at E3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dante's Inferno (Not Really) Protested at E3

An E3 protest against Dante's Inferno [http://www.ea.com] now appears to have been nothing more than a publicity stunt.

A group of 13 protesters stood outside Los Angeles Times [http://www.e3insider.com/] reported that the group had come in from Ventura County to protest Dante's Inferno, an upcoming game loosely based on the literary classic of the same name.

"We think this game should never come out," said protester Matthew Francis, who also asked reporters to pass that message along to EA executives at E3 since his group wasn't allowed inside. The protesters also passed out brochures that warned, "A video game hero does not have the authority to save and damn... Only God can judge, and he will not judge the sinners who play this game kindly."

But it now looks like the whole thing was nothing more than a Domains By Proxy [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/06/e3-update-on-dantes-inferno-protest.html], which lets people put up websites anonymously.

EA hasn't commented but at this point it seems clear that the whole thing is a promotional stunt. It's an interesting ploy, although I have to wonder if EA's enthusiastic representation of the Church as shallow-minded reactionaries is an entirely good idea. Unlike the game, that could actually give them something to be angry about.

Dante's Inferno is in development at Visceral Games (formerly EA Redwood Shores), the studio behind Dead Space, and is targeted for release in early 2010.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
ZeroMachine said:
Worst.

Publicity stunt.

Ever.
Did you forget the scattered limbs all over some major city for Left 4 Dead

(I think it was for Left 4 Dead)
Resident Evil 5.

Also Dante's Inferno looks crap and beyond horrible...That trailer at E3 put the final nail in the coffin to confirm that the game looks crap.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
orannis62 said:
Ok...show of hands, is anyone any more than indifferent to this game?
*raises hand*

... oh, wait, MORE than indifferent?

*puts hand down*

To be honest, I never heard of this game until I read this article. I can only assume I haven't missed anything.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Very stupid publicity stunt, would have been better if they would have sent people dressed as demons to terrorize people.
The game doesn't look that good anyway, I guess they had to do something.
But not this

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Wow, talk about a total dick move. They just lost a lot of respect from me and I didn't have much for them to begin with.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Malygris said:
...Dante's Inferno, an upcoming game loosely based on the literary classic of the same name.
This appears to be an understatement.

And that was also a stupid publicity stunt. Wait, 13 people showed up? HAHA I see what they did there!

Jul 9, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
orannis62 said:
Ok...show of hands, is anyone any more than indifferent to this game?
*raises hand*

... oh, wait, MORE than indifferent?

*puts hand down*

To be honest, I never heard of this game until I read this article. I can only assume I haven't missed anything.
You're quite right, it's just a bastardization of a classic book. Not even worth a look.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Every time I think: "Hey, EA isn't so bad, they took on Brutal Legend after Activision were total dicks about it", then they proceed to do something fucking retarded like this.
For the record, as soon as I saw that this was a video game and it was basically somewhere between DMC and GoW I pretty much wrote it off as shit.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
As if believers don't get mocked enough for some fringe elements.

It's stunts like these that fool enough people (who'll never know it was a stunt) to once again add fuel to the fire that already condems my religious beliefs and brethren.

I can hear my uninformed friends telling me 'my type' is protesting games now. Ugh.

Thanks EA for stoking this fire on my behalf, just another thing I'll have to defend my beliefs on that I wasn't involved with.